Too Much Protein

Options
I keep under for fat, saturated fat, carbohydrates and calories (usually) but I consistently go over for protein. I generally eat a lot of protein because I find it fills me up the most effectively (eggs, soya beans, 0 fat yoghurt, half fat mozzarella, peas, no meat due to vegetarianism). I don't go massively over, my macro for it is 50 and I'm usually around the 65 mark.

Should I be worried about this? Please back up any advice with links to health food articles unless you have some kind of authority in the area (nutritionalist, gym trainer, doctor etc).

Replies

• ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    in my opion NO! Protein is very good for you!

I consume aroung 85-106 a day :)
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I keep under for fat, saturated fat, carbohydrates and calories (usually) but I consistently go over for protein. I generally eat a lot of protein because I find it fills me up the most effectively (eggs, soya beans, 0 fat yoghurt, half fat mozzarella, peas, no meat due to vegetarianism). I don't go massively over, my macro for it is 50 and I'm usually around the 65 mark.

Should I be worried about this?

No, because MFP's protein target is very low.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    No - you're doing fine!
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    You are very lucky, no matter how many mars bars I eat I really struggle to get my protein limits.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    not at all! as long as you are getting enough of the other macros you're fine, in fact a lot of people find the MFP ratios a bit off; generally if you are trying to build muscle people recomend 1 gram per pound of body weight.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    depends what weight you are 65g for me would be a third of what i need and as someone mentioned mfp massively underestimates how much protein you need, for me it was about 50g under what i need

to work it out, i go 0.7g per lb of body weight a few people will tell you it's more than this but it's commonly over estimated because people get their info from body building websites but for weight loss and amature lifting 0.7 should be fine, there is a point of too much protein and it can require a trip to the hospital, but at 65g you wont be anywhere near that more like 200g+ lol
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    no problem. enjoy your protein
    :)
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    not at all! as long as you are getting enough of the other macros you're fine, in fact a lot of people find the MFP ratios a bit off; generally if you are trying to build muscle people recomend 1 gram per pound of body weight.

per pound of LEAN body mass. ;)

To the OP I just reset my goal to ~123 grams per day at 169lbs 5'9 It but I very rarely eat less than 80g before setting this new goal.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
    :)
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I do 1g per pound of body weight.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'd worry if you have end stage renal disease
  • pinkymac11
    Options
    My doctor says to get 90g protein a day to lose weight, which I find very hard to do, but am trying.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Geez... If I had $1.00 for everytime this was posted I would have about 345.00 so far..
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Protein is good.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    per pound of LEAN body mass. ;)

/\
    This......
    At 6ft and 167Lbs my protein requirements are about 145g. Not easy to reach but doable.
  • mavedote
    Options
    I'm 5'10....155lbs.....I usually try to take in 150-180g protein a day. I also try to keep protein/carb/fat ratio at about 40/40/20.....For weight loss and fat burning (or building muscle mass too) this ratio can be upped to 50/30/20......I think you would have to eat several WHOLE chickens per meal before worrying about too much protein
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Protein is good for you and I am so happy when the number is red, I feel I've achieved a mini goal. I've read that 1g protein for 1lb of weight, for me at 200lbs, it's a lot of protein, but I try my hardest to eat/drink as much protein as I can.

I think your on the right track, might even need to up your protein more. X
  • seedot11
    seedot11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, I shall keep to my diet then! :)