Just don't think weight loss...............

Options
The usual top 3 reasons that people try to lose weight:

1. Body transformation (vanity)
2. Health
3. Fitness

Now if one is consistent with calorie deficit number 1 can be achieved.
If they get enough rest, reduce stress, addded some exercise along with it, number 1 and 2 can be achieved.
If one then also included trying to get fitter with harder work, higher intensity, less rest between sets, etc. then all 3 can be achieved.

So shoot for number 3 and get all 3.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• MrsJSF
    MrsJSF Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I needed this today. I realize I've become a slave to the scale.
  • svanzinha
    svanzinha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This was just what I needed!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough, fitness has been my goal in losing weight, so this is good to hear! My reason for losing weight was that I was trying to get fit and thought it would be easier with less weight to carry around. No.1 is a pleasant side effect!
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks!
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    cheers for that! I am trying to concentrate on just overall fitness but it's hard not to let the scale effect you when it's been ingrained so deeply in your routine. Thanks for the reminder that the goal isn't the number but the fitness!
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Niner, I always trust you to talk sense! I previously only ever tried to lose weight for vanity but feel in a far better place psychologically since joining MFP and putting the focus squarely on fitness. And while I may not be as skinny as I was in my 20s, my legs and arms (and heart and lungs) are in far better shape :)
  • rosikinslovesyou
    Options
    Theres a huge difference between being skinny and being healthy!
    I learnt this the hard way.
    Best of luck in your individual journeys!
  • NotThePest
    Options
    Thank you for stating something that I want to scream. In all my attempts to lose weight, it wasn't until I got serious in controlling my type II diabetes through fitness that I finally lost. I called the weight loss and body transformation "gravy" that rides along with fitness. I took my three and one-half years to lose weight but during that time, I lost inches, lost of inches - three/four dress sizes, took my health back by dropping my high blood pressure numbers, glucose and cholesterol. The eventual weightless cost me more money in having to get another set of new clothing. I went from a size 20 to a size 8.
  • Jsnuggles
    Options
    Exactly what I am going for. Health and fitness then vanity. Thank you for the reminder to stick with the first two the most :D
  • albertasis
    albertasis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That's so true! Now, I just have to be consistent hahaha, not for today, but for the future ;)