Need help getting something into my head.

Options
So, I realised (a long time ago, but it's back in my mind), that exercise is not very important to me, so I really need help.

I have access to a gym.
I can use the gym 6 days a week (in other words, I have the time).
I have access to at home weights and some aerobics DVDs.

BUT

I easily lose motivation to go to the gym.
I make excuses as to why I can't go to the gym.
I don't push myself hard enough at the gym.
I don't use the weights and DVDs at home.

I realise I don't have any long term exercise and fitness goals. I have no desire to run marathons. I cannot afford a personal trainer to show me what I should be doing. All I do at is some cardio on the elliptical trainer for about 25 mins, then I do 15 mins of weight training (usually only arm exercises) and a few sit ups and leg lifts. This usually burns about 250 calories. But I don't feel the burn the next morning, so no doubt what I'm doing doesn't push me.

As a result, my measurements don't seem to change.

So can someone help me?

I can get to the gym Tuesdays - Fridays for about an hour, and on weekends again for about an hour. What can I do in that hour that is going to get maximum results in so little time? And how can I push myself? And at home, again, I don't push myself. If something starts to get too hard, I stop and give up.

I think the main issue is I have a weight goal, and the obvious 'I want a flat tummy, I don't want bingo wings, I don't want my thighs to rub together' measurement goals, but I don't particularly care about how strong I am or how long I can run without getting breathless. I know maybe I SHOULD care about that, and that's where I need the help.

This is what my gym has:

Treadmill, elliptical, bike, rowing machines. Hand held weights, a straight bar (i can't even lift this), a curved bar (this I can lift), weight machines (which I would prefer not to use because someone told me they get you to do movements that are unnatural and can cause greater injury - stick to the free weights), a yoga ball, a medicine ball and a pool (which is out of commission at the moment, probably for 8 more weeks). They also do a few classes (I could get to the one on Wednesday evening or Sunday morning), but last time I did it, I threw up and couldn't walk properly for a week (no exaggeration).

I have the Jillian Micheals 30 days shred DVD, but I find this like the gym classes and because of what happened at the gym, I stop and give up as soon as I feel like I'm potentially going to throw up, pass out or be so sore the next day that I can't walk.

So, as you can see, I have a real stigma that I need to get over. PLEASE HELP!

Replies

• susannahsutton1
    Options
    You are similar to me in that when I retired from the sport I loved and got fat, just looking better/losing weight wasn't enough to drive me to work hard in the gym, mainly because it takes ages to see benefit.

So I decided to find a new form of exercise that I did like. I tried running, even did a half marathon. Discovered it is the most boring pastime on the planet. Did a bit of rowing, all sorts, until I got into cycling. Now I am working harder than ever because I can see benefits quickly. E.g. with stronger legs and fitness, I can now go downhill (the fun bit) 8mph quicker than I could 6 weeks ago. With sports there is a massive amount of material on the internet about good training options, so all I have paid for is my gym membership which I would have anyway and the princely sum of £30 for my annual cycling club membership (I did have a bike and helmet already).

There are some people that love all sports regardless. I am not one of those and clearly neither are you. Since last year's Olympics, there are loads of sports that have thrown money at getting newbies in so it's quite easy to try lots of new stuff with special equipment. Plus netball has started something called Back to Netball for £3 - £4 a session.

If that doesn't work, have you got a heart rate monitor? On my real can't be bothered days that pushes me because I can see how many calories I am burning and it earns me a glass of wine/chocolate etc!

Finally the other way to work harder is to do classes at the gym because then someone else is pushing you and you just go with the flow!
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Ok firstly something is better than nothing. If you only do 30 mins a few days a week that's better than doing 0mins. Don't tell yourself that the gym and working out has to be a massive gruel. If you think that every time you go to the gym you have to work out solidly for 1hr minimum to the point where you feel like you might die then I can understand why you won't want to go! Just tell yourself that you're going to go every day for 30 mins. And as long as you go and do SOMETHING then that's better than nothing.

Make changes to your daily routine. Walk instead of driving, get off the bus a couple stops earlier. Use your lunch to do 30 min stroll round the block. Or even 10min! Take the stairs instead of the lift. All of this will help.

Take classes. This works especially well if the instructor is mean because there is no way you can stop or quit halfway through when someone is shouting at you. Plus they are fun!!

Just don't put so much pressure on yourself. Move more for your health, don't force yourself to work out so it hurts because 'that's the only way.' An find something you enjoy - tried Zumba? Cycling? Walking?

Good luck :)
  • candiada
    candiada Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere "if you think you are working too hard you wont keep it up". So what works for me is to just keep moving. make it fun! Less like work. Today I have to get moving. I have been slacking on my days off when I could really find an activity to do I have all day. I have the Wii fit with all the fun games on it! I like the Zumba but I am just a beginer so that seems hard for me. But I will never be more advanced if I don't keep practicing. So I do the step aerobics on the Wii fit ones. I like them because they keep score. makes it more interesting to me. :happy: