Logging exercise question

Options
So I log calories burned according to my hrm. Now obviously some of those calories I would have burned anyway as part of my bmr. I need to subtract them. I haven't been thus far because I am losing >2lb per week but that will plateau at some point.

Do I have to do this subtraction manually or is there something in Mfp that does it for you? My hrm updates Mfp automatically, I don't type the calories burned in manually

Replies

• susannahsutton1
    Options
    Bump

Anyone?
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Please someone help?
  • lauren31085
    lauren31085 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That's a good question, I am getting a fitbit soon and I was wondering about that too!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You'll have to do it manually.
  • Andie122
    Andie122 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    In the past, when I've worried about it to this level of detail, I've done this manually.

You can do your BMR and divide it down into some easy unit (like X calories for every 5 or 10 minutes).

With that said, unless you're committed to eating back every single calorie that you burn through exercise (no shame - I usually am!), you probably don't have to stress about netting exercise calories too much!
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    oh I eat pretty much all of them back at the moment and it's working, but once I get nearer my goal weight I will have to be more precise *sigh
  • Sujit8383
    Sujit8383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    well mfp does include the overlapped cals of ur bmr n exercise, but its almost negligible , so dont worry abt it........

cheers......:smile:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    To OP, you'll have subtract the BMR cals manully.

To this:
    That's a good question, I am getting a fitbit soon and I was wondering about that too!

Fitbit works differently to HRMs and with fitbit you do not need to subtract BMR cals because when you log exercise activities they override the fitbit record, including the BMR so you can use the total HRM reading including the BMR.
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. Are you talking HRM or fitbit type device?

I only wear my HRM when I work out....to log burn and then add that. I don't wear it dring the day in general. I guess if I was to wear my HRM all day to log, which isn't necessarily a bad idea. I would subract my regular "body burning" from the exercise.

I have done spreadsheets aside from MFP computing my BMR/usage/calories to speculate a more accurate "loss" I can expect. Maybe that would be something you could do. Then you could just put in your number per HRM for the day.
  • EAPTX
    EAPTX Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've had the same question when I take very long walks (2-3 hours). I have found that it is simpler for me to just under-record them a bit. Like, 120 minutes becomes 110 minutes. It is less stressful. I find it is the food I have to be more precise about than the exercise! Much more inclined to cheat there.
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    how do I add in negative calories onto the exercise bit of the site?

I think I burn 80 cals an hour doing nothing (I wore my HRM while doing nothing as a test!) so I tried to enter it as a custom exercise but it said I can only put in positive numbers. My HRM uploads automatically to MFP so I could always break that link and input manually every time. Is that the only way?
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm confused why some think they need to log the calories they burn "normally". These are figured into MFP when you pick an "activity" level" The only "burn" I need to log here is the ones I get exercising.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Youre thinking too much into it. Just log the cals as is
  • KNarrainen
    KNarrainen Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about this level of detail.

Calories you eat and burn are all approximate, unless you live, eat and work under laboratory conditions.

Also you are slightly over thinking it.

Yes you burn a certain amount of calories just by existing, but your exercise is in addition to this.

ANd finally most HRM are calibrated to work under a raised Heart Rate, so they are less accurate for you not doind anything.

Relax, and just log what it says. If you are having problems hitting your goals after a decent amount of time, then examine ecverything to make sure you are not over or under logging things.
  • Schmelvie
    Schmelvie Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just subtract from your daily food goal rather than trying to play with negative exercise calories? For instance, if you burn 80 calories an hour at BMR, and you generally work out an hour a day, just subtract 80 calories from your daily food intake goal to account for the "double dipping".
  • Srikoon
    Srikoon Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Burning 80 cals per hr is a good burn. Your heart is working pretty hard for a resting rate. I'm not the healthiest guy, but I'm a short 5'5" at 174 lbs. My BMR says that I should burn an average of 66 cals per hr if I sleep all day.

According to my Timex Ironman Triathlon watch, I am burning 5 calories per minute at a resting 68 bpm just being on the computer and typing away. If my Timex watch does not need calibration, this would translate to around 300 calories per hour burned vs 66 per hr (sleeping) according to MFP. Which is more accurate? Perhaps both if a normal body burns 1 calorie per minute while sleeping. What is the default rule of basic caloric burn when a body is sleeping?