New to lifting - reassurance req'd!

Options
Hey all,

So after years of dieting and cardio, I am on a new plan - less cardio, more resistance and more food!

I have upped my cals by 200 per day and am following the NROLFW program. This is week 2. For the first time in over a year, I have gained. 2kg (5lbs) in approx 10 days. Now, I do want to gain, but this is freaking me out a bit. I don't want to gain THAT quick!

I know weight fluctuates, but generally, mine hasn't. Usually I am 51-52kg, today I am 54kg. Is it normal to expect this?

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Yeah. When you're new to lifting, your muscles will retain water. Don't worry--it's not permanent weight gain.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I won't weigh in again for a while.... say a fortnight? That'll give it a month from starting - will that be a fairer representation?
  • griffsdad512
    Options
    It will help in the beginning if you target one muscle group per day each week and keep a log if exercises, weight used and reps. Don't do bench, do pushups, they require more muscles to work then benching.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    It will help in the beginning if you target one muscle group per day each week and keep a log if exercises, weight used and reps. Don't do bench, do pushups, they require more muscles to work then benching.

Well that wouldn't be following the program and not sure how it is relevant to the question? But I am doing push ups, not bench
  • witchy_wife
    witchy_wife Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Yeah sore muscles retain water so don't freak about it. There is a group on here for NROLFW, loads of advice there.

Definitely take some measurements. You'll do great, I am very very sure you won't regret it. After all, who doesn't want to get a fab body but are able to eat MORE to get there lol.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I've just started NROL4W as well - and while I'm not logging my weight atm I have jumped on the scale for a sneaky peek - knowing increases are due to water (hopefully). I too put on weight - but now it's started going in the other direction.

Defo give it at least two weeks before weighing yourself again - I'm actually giving it 2 month before an official weigh in as my birthday falls at around the one month mark - which will throw off my readings :laugh:

And I'd just stick to the programme - you'll be tracking all your weights and reps anyway if you do that.

There is a nice group for NROF4W if you want to come and join us - lots of advice from people who have done/doing the programme.

Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Yeah sore muscles retain water so don't freak about it. There is a group on here for NROLFW, loads of advice there.

Definitely take some measurements. You'll do great, I am very very sure you won't regret it. After all, who doesn't want to get a fab body but are able to eat MORE to get there lol.

OH yeah - defo take measurements - and photos if you can stand it, though mine are just for my eyes only. Sometimes it is easier to see the changes in a picture - esp if the scale isn't moving. :grumble:
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

^^^ :noway:

Stick with your program O.P. Oh, and put the scale away for a while use a tape measure instead.
  • jo_marnes
    Options
    Thankyou everyone. Last time I searched for the group my MFP kept crashing :-/ I will try again! :-)