Iron

Options
On MFP, the daily goal for iron is 100, which I never seem to get close to!

I'm pretty prone to anaemia, so it's been a pretty big concern for me. Recently I've been feeling dizzy, and had an asthma attack the other day - which for me is a pretty big warning sign of not having enough iron in my diet.

I've planned my food diary for today out already, and I've hit my protein and fat (also another problem for me!), but iron is still in single digits...

So I guess my question is: do you guys even pay attention to iron daily goals, and how do you make sure you meet them? :)

Replies

• THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I haven't paid attention to the nutrient goals, but I did raise my iron levels (hemoglobin) by increasing the amounts of dark leafy green veggies and red meat I was eating. So it's possible to do so via diet without taking nasty iron supplements, which are prone to causing stomach issues. I wouldn't worry so much about fat and protein intakes. You need those, and a lot more than people think.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Most of the calorie database on here is submitted by other MFP members, who are unlikely to enter things like iron levels. On a lot of the food I buy here that information isn't even listed on the packaging.

If you are worried, get your iron levels checked by a doctor before you start taking supplements, etc. The effects of too much iron can be just as bad as too little.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Most people when putting things in the database don't include iron so it's hard to track on here. I take centrum as I it has some iron in, rather than a iron supplement. I try to eat foods that have iron to make sure I'm getting enough.

A good piece of red meat a few times a week helps.

Check in with your doctor too se what their advice is. Best to not ignore things like that.

Zara. X

(I have low blood count so this is important for me also)
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to my MFP amounts, but I do take 100mg supplements as I am prone to anemia too, (I don't really count what I get from food)
  • puckers82
    puckers82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Everytime i give blood my iron levels drop, so last time while talking to my doctor i asked if there was anything i could do/eat to help boost it and she said no id just have to end up on the tablets, so not sure if it helps tracking it or not.

Not sure if its true or not so id speak to your doc about it.
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    Options
    Your doctor sounds like she's a agenda-pusher for big pharma. I've raised my iron levels from food alone. It sounds like she doesn't actually know anything about nutrition.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's definitely not properly logged on here. If you're concerned, I would log it yourself, using the nutrition information listed on the food you eat. For something like red meat, you can research the amount of iron using google.
  • Lirii
    Lirii Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Most of the calorie database on here is submitted by other MFP members, who are unlikely to enter things like iron levels. On a lot of the food I buy here that information isn't even listed on the packaging.
    Most people when putting things in the database don't include iron so it's hard to track on here.

Oh, I didn't think about this!
    I take centrum as I it has some iron in, rather than a iron supplement.

So iron supplements have been criticised a bit, what's wrong with them? That was potentially my next step :P
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    Options
    They tend to cause nausea and vomiting. I had a friend on them for a while, and my Dad was on them after his hip surgery. My friend quit taking them because she couldn't keep anything down. Dad struggled with nausea for the few weeks they were prescribed and was very happy to get off them.

Again, iron can be gotten from food. Serve dark leafy greens with butter and lemon juice to make the nutrients more available, and find yourself some good quality grass-fed beef. It will take time. You have to stick with it. It's not a permanent fix either, so you have to maintain.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

So iron supplements have been criticised a bit, what's wrong with them? That was potentially my next step :P

Iron supplements are fine, if you actually need them.

An overdose of iron can make you feel nauseous, tired and give you constipation or diarrhea. Serious cases causes things like joint pain and stop women from having periods, although I'm not sure how common that is.

Either way, a doctor is the first person you should consult before you start popping supplements.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Iron supplements are fine, if you actually need them.

An overdose of iron can make you feel nauseous, tired and give you constipation or diarrhea. Serious cases causes things like joint pain and stop women from having periods, although I'm not sure how common that is.

Either way, a doctor is the first person you should consult before you start popping supplements.

Iron overdose will radically affect the liver over time much like an alcoholic. Do not take iron supplements if you have not had blood work done. Severe overdoses have led to death. It is the single most common poisoning reported for children under 10 in America.

While overdosing is less likely in pre-menpause women - it still happens.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I am also prone to anemia and was having dizzy spells. I was pretty sure I was anemic again (was exactly how it felt) so went to the doctor. After a full blood panel and some other tests, and a referral to a cardiologist....turned out my blood pressure was low due to cutting back on sodium (not on purpose just as a side effect of eating healthier) and from dropping weight. His recommendation was to eat at a moderate sodium level (not high sodium though... just not to cut it out so much). When I asked about iron being low (usually only hitting 50%) he checked my blood panel and said it was fine but it wouldn't hurt to take a multivitamin twice a week (yes... only twice per week).

So you should go get a checkup and some bloodwork. It could be something simple :flowerforyou:
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I get headaches and I'm very fatigued when I don't get in enough iron. My two biggest problems are that I only eat fish and I cannot take the supplements. They make me sick. Don't laugh, but I've been taking children's chewable vitamins that include iron because they don't mess with my stomach. Trying to modify my diet has been difficult. I eat a lot of veggies, but I don't seem to absorb non-heme well.

I've also noticed that a lot of the food entries here don't include the proper amounts of iron. I'd say go to your doctor and get some blood work done. If you've already done that, then go by what your body tells you. For me the first sign is a headache I can't get rid of. I know then that I need to up my iron intake.

I hope you figure something out. I know what a struggle anemia can be.
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm prone to anemia as well. I'm also a vegetarian (but this does not mean I eat dark leafy greens all day long). I've found that I have to take 3 supplements (I was taking centrum for women and my doctor basically told me that it's garbage, doesn't have the levels you need and your body can't absorb most of it anyway). I take Vitamin D3 5000iu because I live in a northern climate and my D is always low, Magnesium 250mg because it's essential to a lot of body functions but my doctor specifically recommended it because it helps your body process and absorb Calcium (and, strangely, if taken before bed it helps me get better sleep), and Iron 18mg (GNC GentleSorb and I have never had stomach issues with it - highly recommend).

Pick and choose your supplements, a "one stop shop" for a multivitamin isn't going to be right for everybody, and most of us just need a few key things anyway (and, in some cases like my vitamin D, you need MUCH more than the one stop shop pill will give you).