CHEESE!!!! Yum!!!

Options
I have a question for my fellow cheese-lovers out there. Cheese is one of my favorite things to eat and one of the few things I can't stick to a serving size on, whether I'm having a few slices as a snack or sprinkling some on my salad. I absolutely refuse to eat low-fat cheese - I hate the taste and cheese is my one little splurge. So my question is, does anyone else have this same issue and what kind of ways do you deal with it? I really like Kraft sharp cheese, Crackle Barrel sharp cheese, Feta, or Goat cheese for my salads and snacks and I like swiss cheese for my sandwiches. Does anyone know of type of cheese that's lower in fat, but not the low-fat kind?

Thanks!

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    LOVE MY CHEESE, but i think the low fat ones SUCK,,, i will take away other foods and drinks and keep my cheese.
    it is just so worth it to me. my favs are brie.nice and creamy ones, YUM!
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm under my calories, I eat cheese as much as I want. I'd rather work out more and get the foods I like than eat low-fat pseudo-food. And besides, there are worse things to splurge on than cheese. It is high in protein and is low on the glycemic index.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I've got used to low fat cheese - I like the 'weight watchers' one we get in the UK - 210 calories per 100g or something - 20g protein and 10g fat which aren't bad 'stats' as I'm doing resistance works 3x a week.
    Low fat mozzarella is similar 20g protein and 10g fat.

When eating 'badly', cheese is one of my major sins; I find that it takes me a while to get used to not having it.

Grated parmesan is also worth considering as you don't need much.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I love cheese and have not given up on it. You could try mozzarella or Halloumi. There are also some nice tasting, lower fat cream cheeses.
  • Lucy_london
    Lucy_london Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love cheese. Buy stronger cheeses, as a little goes a longer way. Also, in UK you can buy snack packs of cheese. So smaller bite size pieces. I stock up on those and eat one when I get a cheese craving... having them individually wrapped stops me going back for more. There is also a lovely brie toasted sandwich, where you only need a tiny bit of cheese but it tastes quite naughty. It's a weight watchers recipe I think. Brie, apple and onion. Sounds grim, but is AMAZING X
  • furniem
    furniem Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    If you love it so much portion it out as soon as you bring it home from the store. Put it in baggies in reasonable sized portions so you can grab it but are not tempted to eat more in a portion. You will get some to satisfy your craving but not so much to sabotage your healthy eating.

Good luck!
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Low fat/no fat cheese is a sin in itself.

I love all sorts of cheese myself, and often go out of my way to sample exotic brands. I tend not to enjoy the blue cheeses (rather like siting with someones stinky feet on the table) but the white mold cheeses (such as brie and Camembert) are excellent. I enjoy goats and sheepsmilk cheeses, proper, expensive Parmesan (none of that grated **** that comes in a shaker), a variety of cheddars (flavored ones are fun), mozzarella, and fresh cheeses (cottage cheese, ricotta, cream cheese).

Don't cut them out. They are high in energy, and good fuel. Don't replace them with lower quality stuff just because someone indoctrinated by the food pyramid says they're bad for you. They really aren't.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I live in Switzerland, the home of cheese - and no there are no low fat thingies ... :smile:

This photo

schweizer_kaese.jpg

is a fragment of the sortiment of fresh cheese available at our local store. I can't recall a shopping day I have not been able find a cheese that I did not know.

If you want really something special and zesty try the Appenzeller cheese. Beware it stinks! :bigsmile:
  • kinggrace78
    Options
    Haha, I had to laugh at the blue cheese reference. I detest the smell and taste of blue cheese. I can tolerate a little, little tiny bit of it on the Wendy's salad it comes on.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Try looking into almond cheese. I'm slightly intolerant to dairy (not enough to stop me from eating it :laugh: ) so when possible I try to use dairy free/less dairy alternatives. The almond cheese I use has a small amount of milk protein in it but it tastes just like mozzarella cheese. I use it in my veggie wraps every day.
  • Sunflowergirl1
    Sunflowergirl1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    As long as I'm under my calories, I eat cheese as much as I want. I'd rather work out more and get the foods I like than eat low-fat pseudo-food. And besides, there are worse things to splurge on than cheese. It is high in protein and is low on the glycemic index.

^this!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just eat it.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options

Yup. Low fat cheese sucks. I don't want to train myself to get used to sub-par crappy cheese. Sharper cheese is more flavorful and you can use less, though I just happen to love strong cheeses. I opt for super sharp cheddars, "stinky" cheeses like Stilton, Gorgonzola, etc. Feta is another good salad cheese. A little goes a long way.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I got serious about losing the weight I gained(over the last year) a few months ago and believe it or not, that coincided with me switching from low fat cheese to the real thing! I love love love trying different varieties. I eat 1-2 ounces a day. I carefully measure it out though because I don't want to eat too much and I just double checked my food scale to make sure it is measuring correctly. Right now, my favorite is Cave Aged Gruyere. My husband says I'm obsessed with Zumba and Cheese these days as I recently found both of those things:)
  • jenniferwren
    Options
    I have a question for my fellow cheese-lovers out there. Cheese is one of my favorite things to eat and one of the few things I can't stick to a serving size on, whether I'm having a few slices as a snack or sprinkling some on my salad. I absolutely refuse to eat low-fat cheese - I hate the taste and cheese is my one little splurge. So my question is, does anyone else have this same issue and what kind of ways do you deal with it? I really like Kraft sharp cheese, Crackle Barrel sharp cheese, Feta, or Goat cheese for my salads and snacks and I like swiss cheese for my sandwiches. Does anyone know of type of cheese that's lower in fat, but not the low-fat kind?

Thanks!

I've just discovered that the white crumbly cheeses have fewer cals than the hard cheeses, good for me as I can't resist Cheshire cheese or Wensleydale, nom om nom nom mmmm cheeeeeese
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I adore cheese. I'm on a English cheese kick right now so it's all about Cheshire, Leicester, Wensleydale, Gloucester, and Stilton. I also love any bleu cheese (Great Hill, Maytag). One of my favorites is taleggio. It's ugly and stinky. If we buy it in summer we have to bring a cooler or the car will smell like a foot for a week. If you can get past the smell, it is fantastic. It's soft like a brie but has more flavor. It's buttery and creamy and rich. Spread it on a good cracker or piece of toast and top it with a sliver of fruit (pear, apricot) or a smear of jam (blackberry, raspberry or black raspberry).
    I am not giving up my cheese. Just not happening. I just know that if I'm having a cheese plate for dinner, I'd better be doing an Insanity workout too.
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    I just recently tried Laughing Cow Cheese and it's the bomb! I got the low fat swiss and it spreads so easily like on bread for a sammie or a bagel. I can't wait to buy all the flavors! PS the low fat swiss is 35 cals :)