IT band... Do you have an experience or advice to share?

Options
I am a runner and I'm training for my first marathon in April.

I have been experiencing pain in the outside of my left knee for the past week and a half. After my 15 mile run yesterday, I hobbled and galloped through a painful, slow 3 miles today. I researched what it could be, asked my awesome MFP friends and it sounds like the IT band. And I am freaking out.

fact #1- I don not have health insurance. I want to do everything I can on my own to avoid seeing a medical professional.
fact #2- I have great shoes and rotate 3 pairs. I was evaluated at the local running store long ago.
fact #3- I have taken osteo biflex triple strength for a year.
fact #4- I strength train, but not as much right now as usual because of so much running, and it takes a lot of time and energy just to finish the miles.

Have you had IT band problems? What did you do? How long did it take to go away? Advice?

I am having a hard time dealing with the fact that this very well could sideline my livelihood and take me out of the race I have had my eye on for a long time :sad:

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You can get an IT band support strap for pretty cheap, but I was advised not to wear it if you can avoid it so as not to become dependent on it.

Ice, ibuprofen, and a foam roller will be your new best friends.

To solve the problem for good, you probably need to strengthen your hip flexors and glutes, which are common problem areas for runners.
  • urbestlife32
    urbestlife32 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been seeing a P.T. for this problem on my right knee. He has me doing abduction and adduction exercises at the gym Also, he suggested taking a roller pin and kneading the band from just above the knee up the front and side of the quad. Your back is going to start bothering you because of the I.T. band. If you dont start working it out everyday. This happened to me due to not wanting to put pressure on the I.T. band. Also, I ice and heat it off and on. Its an everyday stretching process with the I.T. band. Hope it gets better.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I had IT band pain during training for my first half marathon but it was up at the outside of the hip and not at the knee. I'm pretty sure it came from ramping up mileage too quickly :frown:

It was so sore after the race I didn't run for a year...

Take care as you know how... ice, elevate, ibuprofen... stretch, mileage increases of no more than 10% per week... good taper before your race. You're getting close...
  • Run_Forever
    Run_Forever Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    All great advice above, I have been suffering from IT band issues for years. I have found that a foam roller is great for stretching out the IT band. Sometimes other problems can affect the IT band, for myself I had a tight hamstring which ended up causing some of my IT problems. The best thing to do would be to temporarily cut back on mileage, Motrin/ice and really stretch well before and after any run. It can be really frustrating but try and stay positive :)
  • LaurnWhit
    LaurnWhit Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bump !:wink:
  • chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    When I had this issue I wore an IT support strap for a few weeks and lowered my mileage for a few days. Have not had any problems since. Good luck with your marathon!
  • coachpepper
    coachpepper Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    foam roller, YOGA!!
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I got rid of IT band pain by getting a couple of massages and chiropractic treatment -- the massage gave me the most relief -- if you can afford one or two it may help.
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I pretty much had to stop running from a really bad IT band issue. I couldn't walk even. Now I walk well but use a foam roller and stretch a lot. Tight hamstring cause problems too

Beat thing is a foam roller and chiro if you can afford it. Chiro helped me much more than doctors and PT but then again, no more running for me either (degenerative discs, not worth it).
  • daisypage
    daisypage Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You need a good massage, it will be painful but will help massivly. I run my own clinic at home and my husband works in RFL and I encounter this problem many times. Find a good therapist you will never look back :)
    :flowerforyou:
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    2 big things you need to look at are flexibility and strength.

If your IT band is tight - a common culprit is low back/hamstring/piriformis tightness. So yes - FOAM ROLL!! But also work on stretching. When you use a foam roller, it works to loosen the myofascial tissue that surrounds a muscle, while stretching works on the muscle fibers themselves. Generally, although you may be feeling the pain around your knee, more often that not the majority of the IT band tightness is actually up towards your hip where the IT band originates. The pain is felt down by the knee because the fibers are more concentrated as they cross the femoral condyle. Be careful that you don't roll too much on the area of pain because it can irritate the tissue even more. Work the entire IT band!

Then look towards a strength imbalance. For example, in theory your hamstrings should be about 80% of your quads. IE if you can do a single leg knee extension with 100 pounds - then you should be able to do a single leg hamstring curl with 80 pounds. In my medical experience - this balance is rare!!!!! But, it's something to look at.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    This page has some good IT band stretches: http://www.runningwithsass.com/it-band-stretches/

Foam roller is also great for all types of pain/soreness from exercising. You can use it not just for the IT band but hamstrings, glutes, and quads as well (or anything else that bothers you).
  • Squeeks70
    Squeeks70 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon in May of last year. I felt fine afterwards but the next morning when I went to get up from the breakfast table I felt a sharp pain on the outside of my right knee. After several doctors appts. I was told that it was my I.T. band. I completed physical therapy and am in it a second time. I have yet to fully recover. I can only run about 2 miles without the pain. When I walk (briskly at 4.5-5.0) I am fine.....I start to jog or run.....PAIN. I am currently working on strengthening my hamstrings and was told that I need to stretch and use a foam roller daily. I made the mistake of not cross training during the time before the race. I was so concerned about my miles. Now I am paying for it but not giving up!
    I alternate days of jogging/walking with riding a stationary bike at the gym. I make sure I complete my stretches and I have also included strength training. Good luck. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    When I had my issue it had everything to do with my running shoes, but I know you don't think this is a factor for you. Foam Roller is what helped me but it took about a week or so to go away. I had to stop running during that time.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    foam roller, YOGA!!

have one, will be using it religiously and I do yoga once a week taught by a true-to-life eugene yoga hippie! hehe Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options
    I got rid of IT band pain by getting a couple of massages and chiropractic treatment -- the massage gave me the most relief -- if you can afford one or two it may help.

thank you, I have actually been thinking about both. I know a chiropractor who might give me a break and my bday is coming up... Honey, I want a spa day! :wink:
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options
    I pretty much had to stop running from a really bad IT band issue. I couldn't walk even. Now I walk well but use a foam roller and stretch a lot. Tight hamstring cause problems too

Beat thing is a foam roller and chiro if you can afford it. Chiro helped me much more than doctors and PT but then again, no more running for me either (degenerative discs, not worth it).

The thought of "no more running ever" would be a death sentence. I cant imagine what you are going through. Im so so sorry :cry:
  • rluedtke
    Options
    Roll out your IT band on your foam roller a few times a day. I have to do this and I haven't been running for months because of an injury. It still hurts like a b**** everytime I roll, but it helps a lot.

Outside of that, if you can't do anything on your own, I would strongly recommend seeing a physiotherapist. They will be able to give you some exercises to alleviate your issues, and most importantly, properly diagnose you.
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    This helped mine tremendously. That and cut back on mileage for a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0e8FPL787E
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had physical therapy for this. She took this spoon like thing and ran in up and down my leg to break up scar tissue. Hurt like hell. Then I had to do stretching so it would heal properly. It went away but overtraining gets me every time. Now I use a foam roller or have my husband roll it with a rolling pin. I also had a cortisone shot for it once and it worked great Good luck!