Psyllium husk?

Options
So this stuff is amazing.
It has this absolutely amazing tendency to absorb water and expand, it's a wonder that it doesn't drag all of our intestines with it on its way through them, but apparently they are pretty resilient as of themselves.
I once tried baking bread with it. The bread turned a kind of pudding even after a whole night (!!!!) in the oven.

My last morning sickness was so bad that I would have taken almost anything, and someone suggested it might help... I somehow gulped some down with a little of water. It dried my mouth while passing it, and I guess It just stayed inside because it glued itself to the stomach wall.

So, how is it possible to take any of this? How do you do it, what do you mix with it? It's a question I even wonder about when i think about oatmeal, but to a lesser degree. It's a form of fiber that will expand in water; You need to add some water to get it down, but how much so you haven't used up all it's absorbing qualities in the water you are taking with it, and it can still take up some more while down there? And anyway, once it has been in your stomach/small intestine for half an hour or so, hasn't it already absorbed to maximum?

Does anyone have a good,feasible recipe for this stuff?

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I've been taking it in capsule form for many years, helps keep me pretty regular.
  • FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I used to mix it with a huge glass of orange squash and chug it - it isn't enjoyable but gets it in and does the trick!
  • fatfighter1979
    fatfighter1979 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i take these every day, i either mix it with my protein shake or mix it in with a yogurt, you may need to add a little water to your yogurt though as it can give it a much thicker texture if left...more like wall paper paste! lol
  • katie_fitzy
    katie_fitzy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    This stuff got my gut back in shape after a nasty round of diverticulitis. I mix a tablespoon in 1 cup of fairly warm water-it's less grainy and chug it down before it thickens. I do this daily. Doesn't taste the greatest but you will be less gassy and regular.