Cajun Shrimp and Rice

Options
kcdrake
kcdrake Posts: 512
Mmmm, I just had a super yummy dinner for about 300 calories. And it's super easy.

First, get some brown rice started. I used plain water seasoned with some cajun spice, but if I had it I would have used low-sodium vegetable stock. Brown rice takes about 45 minutes, so just sit back and chill out for the next 30 minutes.

About 15 minutes before your rice is done, heat a little bit of olive oil in a skillet over med-high heat. Peel your shrimp. Now sprinkle some paprika, thyme, salt, ground nutmeg, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper into your oil. I kind of eyeballed it and my oil had turned a deep red, almost brown color. Saute this for a few seconds until the oil is nice and hot and fragrant. Then toss your shrimp in and stir. The shrimp should cook fast, and the color of the spices might make it hard to tell when the shrimp turn pink, so keep track of the time (should be cooked in 2-3 minutes over medium-high/high heat).

Sometime during all that, stick some broccoli into the microwave (or steam it) and heat it up.

Then just take your rice, shrimp, and broccoli, stir it all up, and serve. YUM!

I'm cooking just for me so everything was a single serving (85 g broccoli, 1/4 c uncooked rice [I used all of the rice in my meal], and 3 oz shrimp).

Very good!

Replies

• blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    mmmmmmm easy! lol
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and i loved it. I wondered what to do with my rice however to add more flavor and now I know thank you so much for sharing.
  • Beleau
    Beleau Posts: 143
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe

B
  • jetSpeed28
    jetSpeed28 Posts: 34
    Options
    Publix has healthy steamer's Cajun Chicken & Shrimp w/ Rice for 2bucks and its 260 calories -:) i pick them up once in a blue moon and replace their frozen veggies with fresh cooked once :p
  • beckn
    beckn Posts: 14
    Options
    Sounds yummy, I think my husband would like it too, thanks for sharing, Becky
  • mamacindy81
    mamacindy81 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mamalacroix
    mamalacroix Posts: 12
    Options
    Hmmm, gonna alter slightly and substitute chicken breast for the shrimp