Elliptical or Treadmill / low Impact On Knees?

Options
A few years back I had a serious knee injury (patellar tendon rupture). I had to have surgery and was walking on crutches for a very long time, It took me months of physical therapy to begin walking using a cane. I guess the whole thing took about 6months (this is when I really started gaining weight).

Around the middle of that whole thing I bought a NordicTrack recumbent bike and used it to just exercise my knee for a while each day. Now I use it every day, and I really like it, but I would like to try some other exercises. What I really want is another piece of equipment.

I am doing some calisthenics, but last week I hurt my knee doing jumping jacks. I can do pushups and situps, but when I get into the lunges, squats I'm feeling it really hard on my knees. (now even the good knee hurts). I'm sure some weight loss will help all of this. I swim a few nights a week too, but mostly I just play with my daughter.

Anyhow I'm looking at two machines. NordicTrack E5.7 Elliptical or NordicTrack C900 Treadmill (I'm 6 foot so I feel like that 900 will fit my stride).

I'll never run again, but I can walk on the treadmill, and I think use the elliptical without a problem. I tried them both at the store, but only for a few minutes.

Does anyone find the elliptical hard on the knees?

Replies

• kinggrace78
    Options
    I have severe pain in my knee also. It happened from when I was in the Navy and they were never able to figure out the cause of it. I have went to several physical therapy sessions on it and I gained a lot of weight from not exercising. We had a treadmill at home and I used to use an elliptical machine at the gym. This is my experience and ours may be different because our knee problems are different: There were days I could walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes at a good pace 3.5 -4.0 and have no pain (of course I always had a knee brace on) and there were other days that I couldn't walk more than 10 minutes at 3.5 or slower because of pain in my knee. Everyone always says the elliptical machine and the bike doesn't cause knee pain because there is no impact on the knee, however I have knee pain that isn't always associated with impact - it has to do with my knee cap moving out of place so even the elliptical machine and the bike caused me pain. It got to the point where my doctor told me, just stick to swimming and water aerobics. I have been swimming 2-3 times a week and doing water aerobics 1x a week since December and I have not experienced any knee pain during those exercises.

My advice is see if you can do a trial membership at gym somewhere for like 5 days, where you are able to exercise on the machines longer than 10 minutes and see how your knee feels. Good luck :)
  • JamesChargerWolf
    JamesChargerWolf Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My advice is see if you can do a trial membership at gym somewhere for like 5 days, where you are able to exercise on the machines longer than 10 minutes and see how your knee feels. Good luck :)

That's a wonderful idea. I have knee problems as well. Treamills hurt me but I have not had problems with an elliptical. But, like kinggrace78 mentioned, there are tons of different knee issues. Maybe both machines would bother you. Trying them both out for a week or even 2 is smart.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in one knee (psoriatic) so again a different problem which may not apply to you. I find the treadmill allows me to have more control on the "position" my knee is in when it takes the weight (I hope that makes sense). I can't use the elliptical because my knee is in the wrong position when the weight gets transferred (up too high and i'm 5'10") and that leads to pain in the joint. Although you can adjust the tension and speed, there really is nothing you can do about the "rotation" that controls your legs position (at least not on the one I owned).

With the treadmill, I can use the incline to adjust my workout to whatever stride is most comfortable that day. Some lucky folks swear by the elliptical for knee pain but I know from experience it really is going to depend on what "triggers" your pain. If the position is wrong there is no fix for it. Kinggrace's suggestion to try a gym to help you make a decision is probably the best way to know for sure before you invest in something. Good luck!
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    A cybex arc at the gym on 0 incline was very helpful for me to take the pressure off my knees when I first started.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    You could also consider a rowing machine - good full body workout...
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    At the moment I am facing two arthroscopies on my knees to trim and tidy up wrecked cartilage - so I am almost entirely limited to low impact.
    I walk on a treadmill, use a spinning bike and the elliptical is great for me - going forwards. It knackers my knee something-fierce if I try to go backwards!

I wish you luck with your choice and your knees!
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

or swimming if that's an option...
  • Jane_1705
    Jane_1705 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    There are many types and causes of knee pain. When I grew up my knee caps never sat in the correct position and I have chronic knee pain, stepping machines hurt as do squats. Personally the cross trainer is fine on my knees as is walking on a treadmill. I agree with previous poster that it makes sense to try both at your local gym to see what the impact is on your knees before you make a big financial investment.
  • BrenWOW
    Options
    The treadmill seems more jarring to your joints, while the elliptical is more of a smooth motion- it doesn't hurt my knee!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I prefer the elliptical over the treadmill. The treadmill is more jarring to your joints. Not when you are going slow, but if you get up to a fast walk pace, it's not as easy on you as the elliptical is.
  • kinggrace78
    Options

That is a good idea too. Sometimes I will do the rowing machine and it doesn't bother my knee, plus I love the burn in my arms.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I have probably the same pains with both knees that you are discribing. I have RA and my knees joints stiffens overnight. I switched from running to cycling for a month until I lost about 10 lbs. Easier on the knees and strengthens the muscles around the joint. Now I mix in about 20-25 miles jogging a week now and my knees are holding up rather well.

I can't stress enough walking or running uphill is much less stressful on your knees than flat ground or downhill. It has really helped me get my strength back and I don't notice pain in either knee at all.

Good luck!
  • douglasbeale
    douglasbeale Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I can't stress enough walking or running uphill is much less stressful on your knees than flat ground or downhill.

I agree, same as up stairs opposed to down, I'm really leaning towards the elliptical.

Thanks..... to everyone for the advice.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    You can always put the incline down to -2.0 or more or put it up on the treadmill. I found my legs hurt me more when the incline was up when I was a beginner with the treadmill.

If that doesn't help, stay off the treadmill for the vigorous exercise and only use it to walk. Elliptical or biking may be better if your knees are that bad.
  • tlaurenfitness
    Options
    I've had two knee surgeries (torn meniscus) and I find that the elliptical is a lot better for my knees. Even when I'm just walking on the treadmill, I can still feel the pressure on my knee. On the elliptical, I can go almost an hour without my knee starting to bother me.
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is my vote. I have right knee, right foot and left hip issues. The treadmill is ok but no running for me either. The elliptical on the other hand I can push myself on and it doesn't bother me too much. I do limp right after I get off the machine (I do an hour) but beyond that nothing bad at all.

Plus to echo others - try a good gym for a week before you spend the $$ on a machine for the house. You get to try out different machines first that way.
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    My knees love the elliptical. I do still get a bit of soreness if I overdo it, but not nearly what I get with treadmills. I find the impact of walking on a treadmill is worse than running on the street. I also cannot do lunges or most squats, however I discovered that plie squats, in moderation, are really good for me. Doing them regularly actually helps keep knee pain away. I've also been incorporating a light legs day at the gym. Again, low weights and listening to my pain has been key. I can walk up stairs without much pain most of the time now :D

Of course, it all depends on your unique injury and such, so YMMV. Best of luck!
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    It might depend on the brand of treadmill or elliptical. If you have a gym or health club nearby, maybe you can find the kind you are thinking about buying and try them long enough to make sure you aren't damaging your knees.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It would depend on the type of pain in your knees. I can do the treadmill on an incline, walking, some jogging and going upstairs is OK but I am in serious pain trying the elliptical, cycling or going downstairs. With a trail membership you would be able to see what works for you.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I find the elliptical much better on my knee than the treadmill.

Another thing I was told once is that, to help with knee pain, make sure you exercise the quadriceps, as these will help stabilize your knee.