The best sleeplessness and physical pain I have ever had.

Options
51 years old, down from 478 to 383 in around 7 months. Have been a volunteer youth baseball umpire for about 17 years. For the first time in years, yesterday, I umped two games behind the plate back-to-back during a fundraising tournament. I haven't done back-to-backs behind the plate in years because my weight diminished my stamina and physical ability to do it. Finally, after 6-7 months of walking 3-5 miles per day, 4-5 days per week, I was able to do it.

It was a challenging set of games. I took one direct foul tip to the upper forearm (still swollen and bruised this morning), one to the shoulder, and one that glanced off my mask and caught the outside of my jaw.

By the time I had finished showering five hours later, I could barely hobble around my living room and the practice field where my son was trying out for a summer select baseball team. Last night, I had spasms in my feet and calves that were so bad, I watched 2 episodes of Shameless, 3 episodes of House of Lies, 2 Daily Shows and 2 Colberts when I should have been sleeping, but couldn't due to the discomfort.

But here's the weird part. It was the best painful feeling I have ever had. Yeah, you read that right. The best painful feeling I ever had. It was as though I had earned the pain through hard work and effort, and now it was my companion through the night. Each ache was a reminder of the effort I put in to helping raise money for the little league and towards regaining my physical fitness. And the best part is that by the time our summer tournament rolls around in July, I know I'll be down another 40-50 pounds. And when I do that tournament, while I'll still feel each and every foul tip and shot to the forearm, my feet and lower legs won't ache as much because I'll be more fit than I am right now.

Have a wonderful start to your Monday!

Scott R. in Houston, Tx.

Replies

• Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of your commitment Scott-your inspiration keeps me going day after day. Thank you for that!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    To keep the spasms down as you get stronger be sure to hydrate well (including electrolytes) and try taking 250-750 of magnesium before bed. We have so many deficiencies in our bodies that we know nothing about!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    The 1st time I did squats and deadlifts on the same day, and then we were drinking beer at a bbq and were running sprints with our kids. By that night none of the 3 of us could move and it lasted for 4-5 days. It was horrible! But we kept on doing squats and deads...
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Always inspiring, Scott! I walked my first half marathon yesterday and experienced a lot of enjoyable pain myself, so I get it. Keep up the incredible work!
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Great post! I totally understand - the pain I felt after my karate testing "fight night" (20 fights) was awful but also wonderful. :) Kudos to you for continuing to referee at your highest weight - most people just give it up and don't even try. By the time summer comes around I bet it won't be a problem.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I used to see your posts on the forums on a fairly regular basis. I always enjoyed reading them. I don't know if you're not posting as often or if I am just missing them, but it's nice to see you on here. I was actually wondering if you were still on MFP, I couldn't remember your name, so I couldn't check. Congratulations on your NSV; it is a strange one, but it definitely counts. I hope the pain subsides soon; you can keep the memory.
  • firemanfive0
    firemanfive0 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you are saying...Last week I did 3 X 10hr days of construction. By Friday I was hurting so much, but the whole time I had a huge smile on my face. Cause 6months ago I dont think I could have made it thru a single day...let alone 3 days. So "cheers" buddy to our pain and soreness...isnt it grand!!! :bigsmile: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Outstanding! Loved your post!
  • LoriA6724
    LoriA6724 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of you!! It's always so inspiring to hear about all of your accomplishments, big or small. You've earned that pain!
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Good for you, Scott! Hurts so good, right? You continue to inspire me and countless others on this site...You're the best!
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You got this man, you got this. Ibuprophen, and up your potassium. Will make all the difference!

(((hugs!!)))