C25K and more

Options
Greetings fellow MFP peeps,
Last week I found the phone app. c25k and really love it! This program has given my treadmill time much needed structure. I could have probably started out on week two or three with the training that I have already done, but I decided to start with week one and concentrate on my running form. I have been watching lots of videos on proper running form and want to make sure I don't injure myself. I have never been very physically fit (trim, yes...fit, no).

There are SO many phone applications available....any reccommendations on other phone apps that are as structure as c25k?

Replies

• crazy4fids
    Options
    Also, what mph did everyone start out at? Right now I have my intervals set at 3.4 for walking, and 5.6 for running. Should my run interval be faster than that?

Thanks for the input,

Linda
  • Beethoven1827
    Beethoven1827 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have the runkeeper app for tracking my runs - you can also use it to record treadmill workouts. It has a whole heap of other running training programmes included, too. I haven't actually tried using any of them yet, but there are lots to choose from!
  • rgrstetson
    rgrstetson Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Linda, right on with getting started on C25K! I can't help you as far as your question to comparable apps to help, but I can answer your question as to pacing. The entire objective of the C25k is to get you to be able to run an entire 5k. That being said, if you are able to mutter 5 word sentences during your run intervals then you are hitting the right intensity. If you can hold an entire "Chatty Cathy" conversation, then you should speed up. If you can't utter more than one word replies, slow down. The idea is to find out that comfortable pace for you and go with it. Once you are complete with C25K you can then work on turnover runs to quicken your foot work. You still will not want to get into structured speed work as of yet as your body will still be adjusting to the training.
  • crazy4fids
    Options
    Thanks for the input! I really appreciate it. I have always wanted to run, but never got serious about it. I also have asthma, but I used that more of an excuse not to run. I haven't had any problems with it for years, but still keep the rescue inhaler around just in case.
    I am running in my first 5k in July and am doing a Warrior Dash in September. I am so excited!
    Right now I really love running on the treadmill. I live in WI and am stuck inside, but I can't wait to try out my shoes in the park!