Diet and building muscle

Options
Hi all!

I have been lifting weights for about 2 years with a PT and have now decided to start going it alone.

For the last 5 weeks I have been sticking to my calories of 1260 (maintenance would be 2240) and also following a low carb diet.

For exercise I do the following:

Day 1: 3 Fast (20 min) classes back to back (Kettlebells, Core and ViPR). These classes are like circuit training.
Day 2: Upper body (push press 5x5 and bent rows 5x5 then final until failure)
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Legs (front/overhead squats 5x5 and deadlifts 5x5)
Day 5: Rest
Day 6: 3 Fast (20 min) classes back to back (TRX, Kettlebells and ViPR).
Day 7: Rest

When I exercise I add in whatever calories fitness pal allows for the exercise. I also have one cheat meal a week but tend to avoid alcohol and sugar.

Over the last 5 weeks I haven't lost any weight, but my body shape has changed (not dramatically but there's been a change). This would suggest that I'm building muscle but I want to check that I'm not making myself "skinny fat". I'm also still getting gains on the weights (over the past 5 weeks I've gone from deadlifting 5x5 at 80kg to 5x5 at 90kg).

I suppose I just want reassurance that I'm going in the right direction.

Thanks!

Replies

• susannahsutton1
    Options
    See if there is somewhere round you that has a set of scales that includes body fat
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I thought the term "skinny fat" was used to describe a thin person with no muscle tone. You have three ways you can use to prove you are not getting skinny fat. First, the amount of weight you are lifting is increasing, which by definition means you are building muscle. Second, incorporate into your self-monitoring, taking your measurements once a week. Third, notice how guys' heads snap around as you walk by. :wink:

P.S. Be careful with those overhead squats if you've lost your spotter.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would expect better results if you replaced your upper/lower split with full body training on both of those days. This would increase your training frequency.

EDIT: In hindsight, this would depend on the nature of that kettlebell training. I'm assuming this is more of a cardio-type of event with light resistance incorporated but that may be presumptuous on my part.
  • Styladelica
    Styladelica Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies
    P.S. Be careful with those overhead squats if you've lost your spotter.

I am still seeing my PT for 30 mins a week on leg day for this reason. I don't feel comfortable doing squats without him as I've struggled with my form.
    this would depend on the nature of that kettlebell training. I'm assuming this is more of a cardio-type of event with light resistance incorporated but that may be presumptuous on my part.

For the kettlebell circuits I use a 16kg for two handed exercises and 12kg for one handed, as a result I tend to be working more deliberately than the majority of the people in my class who are there for the cardio element.