Looking for critique of this program....

Options
bcf7683
bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
So my boyfriend FINALLY has gotten on the bandwagon and is joining me at the gym. He's not exactly the athletic type, he hasn't stepped foot in a gym in around 5 years (and when he DID go, it was a solid 7 days worth and then he stopped...). He has around 20lbs to drop (mostly in the "beer gut" area) and he has enlisted me to be his personal trainer of sorts. I started last February and since then I've dropped almost 30 lbs, and put a few back on in muscle- I've been on a solid lifting plan since last May. So now, I've come up with a plan for him... He's in the mindset that he needs to cardio, cardio, cardio to drop the gut. But I'm trying to get him on board with the idea that he also needs strength training. SO.... I have him doing the following:

3x's a week (MWF, 2 sets of 10):

5 mins cardio warm-up
Leg press
Leg extensions
Seated leg curl
Calf raise
Wide grip lat pulldown
Machine chest press
Chest fly machine
Tricep pushdown (w/ rope)
Machine bicep curl
Machine shoulder press
1 ab exercise (I let him pick)

Following that he does 15-20 mins of treadmill running. On Tues & Thurs he only does the running w/ a couple ab exercises, usually whatever I'm doing that day.

I guess what I'm wondering is if this is good (or too much?) for a beginner plan. I want to get him into more free weights & compound lifts eventually, but he's more comfortable with the machines just starting out.

Thoughts?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I think you should let him devise his own plan. He's an adult, right? Let him own his own body and how he wants to get fit.
  • TGGolfer
    TGGolfer Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone so critical.....your plan sounds like a good one for a start. Kuddos to you and your other half getting fit and fab together!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I think you should let him devise his own plan. He's an adult, right? Let him own his own body and how he wants to get fit.

He hasn't been to the gym in years and he asked for her help though...

I think that sounds like a good plan! He can take a spreadsheet with him and write down what weight he uses for each exercise and try to increase them every week. The progress will definitely be motivating for him.

If it's too much (i.e. takes too long and he won't want to go) you can break it up into Legs and abs on monday, chest/arms/shoulders on Wednesday, legs and abs friday, etc.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    My husband was sort of the same way with the machines vs free weights....until we bought some for our house ...Now he does free weights only. Hasn't actually used our membership since. He has lost more weight using the free weights than he ever did with the machines. Your plan looks pretty good for a beginner...but maybe let him know about my hubs. Maybe it will help him lose that anxiety a little.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Why doesn't he want to just start out in the free weights? Weight machines offer very little range of motion and can even prevent you from using proper form. Also, you are only working the one or two major muscles and are missing the major benefits of working stabalizer muscles. He will almost have to relearn how to lift once he transfers to the free weights if he is learning on machines. Just start on the right path.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone so critical.....your plan sounds like a good one for a start. Kuddos to you and your other half getting fit and fab together!

Was that aimed at me? I have a life philosophy of letting people take responsibility for their own life. If the guy wants to use weight machines, let him. He will naturally progress to free weights - or not - and she saves herself the arguments and the burden of his actions. Who really has any control over someone else? I'd let him find his own way.
  • Styladelica
    Styladelica Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I kind of agree, if he's just starting out he needs to do something that will keep his attention, and more importantly, something that he enjoys. Whether that's cycling, running, strength training or synchronised swimming - he needs to decide.

If you're getting him on strength training, I think that's a fairly long list of machines to remember - why not get started on strong lifts or starting strength? Compound movements form a much simpler workout and everyone has to start somewhere. :)
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    StrongLifts or Starting Strength would be far better. Less lifts, no machines, and he's going to see some pretty quick results which will provide motivation to continue.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    If he's looking for your help bsc I think that's great.

It's a good beginner set for someone that comfortable on machines...but moving to free weights is better :)

I would remove one of the leg machines and incorporate a lower back one. Also would change sets to 3.

That's just my 2 cents.
  • bcf7683
    Options
    Why doesn't he want to just start out in the free weights? Weight machines offer very little range of motion and can even prevent you from using proper form. Also, you are only working the one or two major muscles and are missing the major benefits of working stabalizer muscles. He will almost have to relearn how to lift once he transfers to the free weights if he is learning on machines. Just start on the right path.

I tried teaching him on free weights, he said he was more comfortable on machines for the first month or so... He's getting acquainted with everything, I don't want to jam free weights and compound lifts down this throat right out of the gate. I told him we'd try it again in a month or so.

And he asked for my help, that's why I made a program for him. I ran through it with him a couple times and he said he likes it. I'm not forcing him to do something he doesn't want to do. I'm just looking for opinions on the program I listed above.
  • bcf7683
    Options

Thanks! :drinker: