Sauna Calories

Options
Does anyone count sauna calories burnt in their exercise log? 300 calories are burnt per half hour session. If so, why?

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I don't, if I drop weight from it, YAY, but I do it for relaxation at the gym.:flowerforyou:

Calories burned that I count are the typical workout cals that bring my HR up.
  • khillman77
    khillman77 Posts: 66
    Options
    no I don't, is that even an option is the exercise list. If so maybe I should count them
  • StephyTheGreat
    StephyTheGreat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are burning calories, as much as you are shedding water. The thing with the saunas is you'll sweat off water weight, but after you are out and adjusting normally to the regular temperature again, the weight just comes back.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are burning calories, as much as you are shedding water. The thing with the saunas is you'll sweat off water weight, but after you are out and adjusting normally to the regular temperature again, the weight just comes back.
    ahhh, all I knew was it sure feels good to sweat like a pig:laugh: , hang out with friends and take a nice cool shower after. Mmm think I'll spend a bit of time in the Sauna tomorrow.

Thanks to the OP for bringing up the question so I can plan it around my workout:drinker:

Becca:flowerforyou:
  • belldandy1
    belldandy1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Are you sure of the 300 calories burned figure? It makes sense that you would burn more calories that just sitting around at home. The heat would require your body to have to work to maintain homeostasis, but 300 calories is more than most people burn walking at a moderate pace for 45 minutes to an hour. What is your source on that?

BTW this post was meant to come off snarky, I am genuinely curious.
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yes! Sitting in a sauna brings your heart rate up significantly, and is considered a workout for your cardiovascular system... wondering is anyone logs their time, or considers these to be unlogged "bonus" calories?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    300 calories for sitting passively? I'm not buying it.

This estimate is a bit different .........63 - 84 ! But 42 of that has already accounted for in activity level.

https://www.fitnessblender.com/blog/can-you-lose-weight-in-a-sauna-calories-burned-in-sauna
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If I gross everyone out, people will abandon this necrothread, right?

maxresdefault.jpg
  • secure_fitpal
    secure_fitpal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes! Sitting in a sauna brings your heart rate up significantly, and is considered a workout for your cardiovascular system... wondering is anyone logs their time, or considers these to be unlogged "bonus" calories?
    They might be calculating how many calories are naturally burning + some from the increased heart rate.

My BMR is 2400 Sedentary calories (I rounded down)
    On avg I burn 100 calories an hour. (I imagine more being awake)
    So half an hour in the sauna I am already burning 50 calories from BMR.

If they are big like me, I imagine they could in a 30 min session.