5 a day

Options
do you keep to this rule?
im trying low carbs so finding it hard to do 5 day too. help!

Replies

• cattrill
    cattrill Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I always have at least one portion of fruit a day and then one or two with dinner but other than that I dont necessarily have 5!
  • Shubbamoo
    Shubbamoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb but I still include a lot of veg, just the lower carb ones. I think it makes the meals more complete, nutritionally and for the eating.
    Plus veg are so much nicer if you're not worried about fat.
  • mitatailor
    mitatailor Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    is there any way of counting the 5 day on mfp?
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I eat at least 5 servings of vegetables a day on a low carb diet. What I've had to do is concider veggies my carb option, and I rarely eat grains. It takes a very short time to get used to it, and then it's life as usual. Or, at least, life for me, as I'm insulin resistant and low carb is life.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I probably eat 10 a day.. but I'm not on a low carb diet. I find restricting anything like that leads to failure. Are you gonig to eat that way forever? Everyone I know who did the low carb thing put the weight back on as soon as they stopped the low carb thing.

A better goal, unless low carbs is medically necessary, is to change how you eat period.
  • amyann2
    amyann2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The five a day should be mostly veggies, not mostly fruit, so just look for the lower carb veggie options. Here are some possibilities:

Sprouts, alfalfa and other small seeds (sprouted legumes have more carb)
    Greens – lettuce, spinach, chard, etc.
    Hearty Greens - collards, mustard greens, kale, etc.
    Radicchio and endive count as greens
    Herbs - parsley, cilantro, basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.
    Bok Choy
    Bamboo Shoots
    Celery
    Radishes

I don't see cauliflower on the list, but since Atkins made Cauliflower Mashed "Potatoes" (i.e. sub the cauli for the potatoes) famous, I'm assuming cauliflower is relatively low-carb. And it's infinitely versatile.