Half Marathon / Time off Training..

Hello All,

I have a bit of a strange question. I'm currently in the process of trying to sort out my life plan.

I've signed up for a half marathon the last weekend in May - I'm currently running quite a bit and don't see any issues with me completing it

So my dilemma - if I take 2.5 weeks of training at the beginning of May will I then not have the fitness level to do it?

I'm thinking of doing a 17 day hike across England - so I would still be exercising during this time - just not running?
(the timing is due to time off work / planning to move home to Australia)

Or would I be able do a few runs a week - at the end of an 5-8 hour walk for the day

Or is all of this too subjective with out knowing more I suppose?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts..

Replies

• scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    How long are your runs now. If you can do the 13 miles before your trip you will be able to do it when you get back, especially if you are still being active on your trip. What it will impact is how fast you do it. If you are only concerned about finishing you should be in good shape. If you are wanting to finish in a certain time then you will fail.

Everyone is different but generally you are not going to lose that much over that time as long as you are still active. If you were going on a 2.5 week cruise eating and lounging by the pool every day then you would be hurting.

It all depends on your base, back when I ran a lot I could go a month without running and then still go out and run 5 miles easy, but I also trained 40 miles a week and up to 110 miles a week when I was getting ready for a race.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    I've ran 2, 1/2 marathons.

1st One I trained very well for. Stuck to my training plan had a decent time for my first one and first really long distance anything.

2nd One I didn't really train for. I did a few long runs during the training period. I paid for it and I thought, well I know I can do this. So the week before I ran 5 mi, but then had a meeting so I had to cut it short. I felt good and thought I could have ran a few more. So I just said, the hell with it, I'm going to run it. This was tough. I finished, but the furthest I ran on this training plan was 5 mi.

I would say if you can do a 10 - 11 sometime before your 1/2, You'll be good.

If this is your first one, and you can't run the whole thing...don't fret, at least had the courage to signup and give it a go. There's no shame in just finishing!
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    As a 4 time marathoner, 3 time half-marathoner, I can say this:

You'll be fine. Have fun.