Question?????

Ok, so I recently started my weightloss and lifestyle change on Jan 5 of this year. I have 100lbs to lose all together, hopefully that can be taken care of in a year.
I have a fat stomach =( and I kno crunches and sit ups help with that but I also kno that right now being as tho my stomach is no where near flat doing crunches and sit ups probably wont show any results.
So my question is should I start doing them now anyway or should I wait until I start losing and seeing results? Like should I wait until im 20lbs down or wat.

PLEASE DONT BE RUDE IN UR RESPONSES!!! IF U HAVE NOTHING NICE OR BENEFICIAL TO SAY I'D APPRECIATE IT IF U JUST EXIT MY POST NOW!! Thank You =)

Replies

• Sit ups and crunches won't help you lose belly fat. You can't spot reduce fat. I'd recommend just sticking to your diet and lift.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Sit ups and crunches wont do much to help.

Concentrate on losing body fat with a calorie deficit and lifting weights, doing full body routines rather than just working your abs.

If you're not lifting already then yes, start now.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Crunches and sit ups are great for core strength, but they are not the key to getting a flat stomach or a six pack.

To achieve the results you want, you simply need to lose weight and reduce your body fat. It sounds trite, but it's the truth.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Those are great for strengthening your core muscles and it is never a bad time to start doing them in my opinion. As for fat loss, eating at a deficit and lifting some weight are hard to beat. Its all about calories in and calories out..pretty simple. Cardio is very good for you also, but building muscle from lifting will help you burn fat much more effectively. Best of luck to you!
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Even if they don't help you to flatten your belly right now, there is NOTHING wrong with incorporating core building exercises into your routine. A strong core aids in balance and benefits the overall structure and framework of your body. Without a strong core, we are prone to more muscular and skeletal injuries.

And of course, building muscle adds in burning more calories. So, do them anyway, in conjunction with your work out, and let time take its course!
  • LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Eat right
    (Use the TDEE or MFP method)

Do some cardio

Lift some weights

and repeat

How you gain and lose weight is down to genetics. You cannot spot train an area to get dramatically smaller.
    The act of losing weight from a body part will depend on your genetic make up, how much or how little you eat, do cardio and lift stuff.

So help genetics out by ... well, you know the drill.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    When it comes to getting those ripped 6-pack abs. YOU ALREADY HAVE THEM! We all do, anatomically speaking. It’s just a matter of making them visible. As evidence to this, just spend a little time at your local municipal pool and you will see droves of kids walking around with perfect 6-pack abs who have never done a crunch in their life!

Abs are made in the kitchen, eating healthy food at a healthy deficit over time will produce results :flowerforyou:
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Ok, so I recently started my weightloss and lifestyle change on Jan 5 of this year. I have 100lbs to lose all together, hopefully that can be taken care of in a year.
    I have a fat stomach =( and I kno crunches and sit ups help with that but I also kno that right now being as tho my stomach is no where near flat doing crunches and sit ups probably wont show any results.
    So my question is should I start doing them now anyway or should I wait until I start losing and seeing results? Like should I wait until im 20lbs down or wat.

PLEASE DONT BE RUDE IN UR RESPONSES!!! IF U HAVE NOTHING NICE OR BENEFICIAL TO SAY I'D APPRECIATE IT IF U JUST EXIT MY POST NOW!! Thank You =)

Okay, here's the starter. 100 lbs is a lot. It's possible to get it all off in a year if you're losing about 8lbs per month. But that's really pushing it.
    Especially since, when you get closer to your goal, you should slow down.
    So start smaller. Aim for 5 or so lbs a month and don't get discouraged if you don't go down. I doubt you put that hundred on in a year so it might take more than a year to come off.
    Second, you can't spot reduce. So just doing stomach exercises will not help.
    What you should do is a balance of cardio and strength. Like, a half hour of cardio every other day and a half out of strength ever other day (at least, that's how I'm doing it. Find your own routine, if need be- because mine won't work for everyone.)
    And third, measure yourself.
    Sometimes you have to get off the scale and look at the actual progress you're making. The scale can be a liar sometimes. I can sit here, drink a bottle of water and gain a pound, right now. That doesn't mean I'm a pound fatter, that's just water. If you're gonna weigh yourself, don't do it every day. Do it once a week or a couple times a month. Whatever really works for you, but weighing yourself everyday will drive you nuts! Because one day you'll not weight a lot, then the next you'll have 3 extra pounds. NO you are not 3 pounds fatter! It's JUST water weight!
    Okay, anyway. Lastly. Know your limits. You want to be healthy about this. Make sure you eat enough (Yes, I mean sometimes 1,200 calories is not enough! You might need more!). Make sure you eat back your exercise calories!
    Yes, that sounds stupid, I know but let me give you an example.
    Your body is a car.
    Your food is gas.
    You fill your tank up, then you drive until you're on empty.

Here's what happens if you don't re-fuel: You won't make it back home.
    If you do re-fuel? You'll make it all the way!

I think I covered all the basics and I hope this helped :flowerforyou: feel free to friend me if you want <3
  • Juju_moore
    Juju_moore Posts: 6 Member
    I have heard that the best way to rid stomach fat is by diet. Avoid starchy carbohydrates after 4:00pm, drink lots and lots of water! Sugar is evil. Plenty of sleep! You can do this!!