Protein

Options
Having a hard time figuring out how to get my protein in without using a protein powder....I do love them, but they are fairly expensive and I don't know which ones are good ones :(

I do realize I should just eat a lot of meat, but that's almost even more expensive!

What do you guys do? What protein powders do you swear by? What do you stay away from?

Replies

• jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Gold Standard has been my go-to Whey.
    50 bucks for 75+ servings of a protein that doesn't taste like **** is enough for me.

I stay away from American Whey, although cheap as hell, an independent party found their protein to be less than 0.1% of the amount advertised.
  • super_b_star
    super_b_star Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    50 bucks for 75+ servings of a protein that doesn't taste like **** is enough for me.

I stay away from American Whey, although cheap as hell, an independent party found their protein to be less than 0.1% of the amount advertised.

The only issue I have is that $50 bucks is something I can't drop on anything right now.

BUT! I suppose If i were to add up the amount i spend on food that has that much protein, maybe it would equal out?

I'm not sure.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the protein powder I use, Genuine Health's proteins+ is expensive ranging anywhere from $48 to $60 for 840g

Eat some greek yogurt... here in Canada, Loblaws sells 18g greek yogurt with virtually no fat and 140 cals for $3.99 (500g tub). Stick with meat, greek yogurt and you should be fine.. I personally think if you are having a hard time getting in protein, it may be worth finding the money to get some whey protein for those days when you run out of meat and other sources.
  • ichkann67
    ichkann67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use North Coast Naturals, 100 percent Iso whey protein. Available at Superstore, Bulk Barn etc. Available in unflavoured, vanilla, chocolate. No sugar/sweetners added.
  • MrsSki
    MrsSki Posts: 196
    Options
    Meat isn't the only source of protein there are lots of fruits and vegetables that have protein:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/394772-protein-rich-fruits-vegetables/
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

The only issue I have is that $50 bucks is something I can't drop on anything right now.

BUT! I suppose If i were to add up the amount i spend on food that has that much protein, maybe it would equal out?

I'm not sure.
    Well generally protein powders are very economic in terms of protein:cost, there's not very many foods you can get for less than a dollar (per serving) that gives you 24g of protein. I'd only really supplement if you aren't already getting enough protein though.
  • violinkeri
    Options
    I use Target brand (market pantry) chocolate flavored whey protein. 16 bucks for a giant tub.
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    Having a hard time figuring out how to get my protein in without using a protein powder....I do love them, but they are fairly expensive and I don't know which ones are good ones :(

I do realize I should just eat a lot of meat, but that's almost even more expensive!

What do you guys do? What protein powders do you swear by? What do you stay away from?

I stick to BSN's Lean Dessert (150 cals, 21g protein, 8g carbs, 2g sugar) or BSN's Syntha-6 (200 cals, 22g protein, 15g carbs, 2g sugar). They're surprisingly tasty (and no chalky texture). Lean is $15-19 on Amazon, Syntha-6 is $30ish for 2lbs, $50ish for 4lbs. They're higher per serving in price, but if you only have a small amount of cash to dish out at a time, I think BSN's Lean is a pretty good choice.

I'm sure there are better/cheaper protein powders out there, but I'm not going to drink something that tastes like crap, so they're just a waste of money for me.
  • super_b_star
    super_b_star Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I tried my boyfriend's roomate's powder, which is GNC Pro Performance® AMP AMP 100% Whey Protein- Chocolate, and it was amazing! But I can't very well steal it or really pay for it haha, but I was just curious as to how much all of these usually cost and how effective they are. You guys have helped a lot :)
  • brokenjawedmuse
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I tried my boyfriend's roomate's powder, which is GNC Pro Performance® AMP AMP 100% Whey Protein- Chocolate, and it was amazing! But I can't very well steal it or really pay for it haha, but I was just curious as to how much all of these usually cost and how effective they are. You guys have helped a lot :)
    Definitely check out Amazon. Their subscribe and save option is quite good (and there are no required number of shipments to get the savings, I cancelled after just one with no issue).
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    A carton of egg whites is like $2 and all protein
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    For the stores in my area, I think I had it figured out once recently that :

my store brand whey protein powder came to $0.01 per g protein
    Eggs and dried beans $0.02
    Frozen chicken breast and ground hamburger $0.03
    Dairy $0.05

Something like that.