Scale NEVER budges - anyone else discouraged?

Options
Chris99mu
Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
I want a lbs lost ticker! Lol!

My clothes fit better, I've lost inches almost everywhere. I'm neurotic about cutting calories and working out 6 days a week. But the scale just wont budge down!

I know I'm building (minuscule) muscle (slowly) but muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. 1 lb is 1 lb is 1 lb. so what gives?

Anyone else have similar experiences? Sorry for being a whiny @&$?-!

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches and reshaping your body, the scale means less. While it is true that 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat, because muscle is more dense, it takes up less space. So, you at 145(for example only) can look totally different with more muscle....keep pushing and notice the differences.
  • Shanellz
    Options
    I feel you! My scale moves a little but I lost a lot of inches! Aslong as you are losing something is what matters!
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Same thing going on with me. I work out 5-6 days a week, both strength and cardio, and count my calories. But the scale has stayed the same for 4 weeks now. BUT, most of my clothes are definitely BAGGY. In fact, I'm wearing a pair of pants today that are my one pair of 'skinny' dress slacks. And they fit fine. That was NOT the case on January 1. I could not get in to them. So, I've decided that I need to ignore the scale and continue to stay the course...clearly it's working. I'd say the same to you...stay the course because you ARE seeing results!
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Try weighing and measuring only 1 time a month, if that can keep you motivated. Letting the scale get in your head will most likely impede progress. You've seen results so just keep on working as hard as you are now. If you are happy with the way you are starting to look what does the number on the scale matter.
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Me!! Been stuck at the same weight for a month now. I track religiously, eat all clean non processed foods, I reset my macros, drink over 8 glasses of water a day, work out 5 days a week and I increased my calories from 1300 to 1400 a day and STILL no move on the scales. The last week I've started doing Jillians 30DS (I managed it 5 times in a week) and cut back on the amount of carbs I eat and increased protein and vegetables and this week I have put on a pound!!! Not getting discouraged though as I know I'm doing everything right, I feel better and I'm sure with time I will see the difference!
  • JaniceT805
    JaniceT805 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep, I gave up checking the scale. I just try to work the program. We I get too anxious I let my self weigh in the beginning of each month.
  • bigb2001
    bigb2001 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So with you and VERY FRUSTRATED!!!
  • imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Just keep on keeping on and try not to let that pesky scale define your accomplishments. What most people really mean when they say they want to weigh less is they want less fat, a nicer body, and a smaller frame.It sounds like you are doing all of those things! See my profile picture. I weigh the exact same amount, to the pound, in both of those pictures.
  • ChristineLondon
    ChristineLondon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    All of the above, completley obsess over weighing myself. Trying to get myself out of the habit now, which is easier said than done :-(
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Doing the scale 1 time a month is a good idea. Just gonna keep on keepin' on! I do feel better and I (if I may be so humble) definitely think I look better!

Thanks for the encouragement! :-)
  • VasylP
    VasylP Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in once a week. From experience if I do so more I get discouraged. So don't look at the scale if you feel better and your clothes are looser, then you are moving in the right direction.

There is a difference between the weight of muscle and fat, it is the way people word things that makes this confusing.

By density muscle does weigh more than fat, so if you took one liter of fat and one liter of muscle they would actually weigh differently.

Here is something someone posted to a similar question on Google Answers:

Summary: Muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9
    g/ml. Thus, one liter of muscle would weight 1.06 kg and one liter of
    fat would weight 0.9 kg. In other words, muscle is about 18% denses
    than fat. This should not be confused with the "energy density" of
    muscle and fat, which may be where you got the 3x figure that you
    mention in your question.

Reference: http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview/id/576481.html

Sources of this are on that link.

While a pound may be a pound but density is what we are talking about here, not the actual weight.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone can say based on the limited info provided. We don't know your weight, body fat percentage, type of workouts, how long you've been doing it, what your calorie goals and macros are, your diary is not open, we don't know how we'll you adhere to it (do you weigh everything you eat?, do you record everything?, etc.) There are lots of intelligent, helpful people and groups here if you really look for them.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Me too. I have been losing and gaining and losing the same 3 pounds for at least 2 months now, first on 1200 calories, now on 1320 calories that MFP set for me.

I feel hungry much of the time. I've decided to re-set my calories according to fat2fit and Scooby workshop calculators. It's scary to think of eating more, but clearly what I've been doing isn't working, and going below 1200 calories isn't an option.
  • rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I started in November and have only lost 12 lbs according to the scale. I have gone down a size in clothes though so I would have to say I have lost inches. Keep up the great work and I am sure everything else will follow.
  • ShannaB83185
    ShannaB83185 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    STORY OF MY LIFE!!!! :sad:
  • ReneeJ814
    ReneeJ814 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yep, same here. I'm losing a ton of inches though, so that's what really matters. Hopefully the scale will eventually show us some love.
  • pebbs80
    pebbs80 Posts: 102
    Options
    My body has been toying with me the last 6-7 months. I gain or lose the same 5 lbs. People tell me I'm looking great but when you are right at or just above 300 lbs you know you are no where near a maintaining/toning zone. It's very discouraging. I lost my first 35 lbs in 3 months last year (July-Sept) then I've been basically at a stale mate since. Maybe it's the colder weather/winter but I've still been working out like I normally do. I've just about given up really I am tired of getting no where.
  • Oakley82
    Options
    I gave up on the scale. I feel your pain completely!!! I was discouraged for DAYS after I weighed myself for the first time. I refuse to put myself through it. So for now, I stay away.

The only things I can think of to help is weight lifting and cutting down/out carbs completely. Neither of which am completely comfortable with yet. I think I messed up my metabolism when I lost a bunch of weight in an unhealthy way. I'm assuming my body is still adjusting (only been at it for 6 weeks or so) to eating healthy and working out. So, for now, I'm just sticking with eating as best as I can, and doing the most exercise I can. It MUST work eventually, right? Stick with it! I know its hard!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!