Cottage Cheese!

Options
I thought I might mention something I grew up on: cottage cheese! This was inspired by 00trayn mentioning that she's rediscovered bananas - I used to sweeten cottage cheese with half a banana, mushed up. Whenever I've mentioned this to people, they've turned their noses up at it. It is gorgeous, though. You can also sweeten it with a little honey. Or just have it on its own. Or with a side bowl of fruit. Or with a spoonful of jam. My mum has a small bowl of cottage cheese with honey or whatever she fancies for breakfast every morning.

I found a blog post about it, too:
http://thetravelingtrainer.trainwithchris.com/?p=39

Not Fat Cottage Cheese nutrition:
nutrition_facts_cottage_cheese.jpg

Replies

• spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I've just rediscovered cottage cheese. Especially at night if I get the munchies. It keeps my tummy busy until bedtime. I eat it plain but the banana sounds good.
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I like it with a few chopped up strawberries, bananas and a handful of raisins..... YUMMY!
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My mother and father always use to have cottage cheese in the fridge. Of course, it was the fattening kind! But I got burnt out on it back then. I have started adding it to my day now, once or twice a week. I like to add a 1/2 cup of diced pineapple to mine. Yummy!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Try WHIPPED cottage cheese, Friendship makes it. It is SO much better because of the consistency.
  • nopeekiepeekie
    nopeekiepeekie Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy mine with peaches. :)
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    My parents used to grill it on wholemeal toast with pepper & grated cheddar on top.

Wrong but so nice :O)
  • Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese on crackers or on a piece of whole grain toast. I'm really picky about my brand, and only eat Breakstone 2%.

Mmmmm... think that will be lunch today with some sides of veggies and fruit.
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I prefer salty instead of sweet so I eat mine with saltine crackers. I have never liked cottage cheese but I find when I eat it with a crunchy saltine it's kinda like chips and dip.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese! I take carrots, celery, radishes, cukes, & zucchinis, chop it all up and put in it for a salad...even my 4yr old granddaughter loves it this way!

Enjoy! :happy:
    Mary
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    It's so utterly repulsive to me...but since you guys are fans I'll share this one with you.

My brother loves the salty version too. As a treat, he'll dip his chips in it. Guess it's a good way to add a bunch of protein to a snack! My step-dad likes to mix it with corn. Seems to be a fairly versatile food.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I ate cottage cheese growing up as well. My favorite way to sweeten it up is to add a tbs of raspeberry, blueberry or peach butter. Just enough sweetness--also great with chopped fruit added to it!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    I am a massive fan! I have it with the following:
    banana and peanut butter
    jam
    dry oats and honey
    jam
    salsa
    Le rice flavoured desserts

they are my favs. :)
  • cardswimmom
    cardswimmom Posts: 71
    Options
    My favorite time to eat it is in the summer. I take fresh tomatoes from the garden, add italian seasoning and a little bit of balsalmic vinegar and maybe a drop or two of olive oil, then mix that into the cottage cheese. SO yummy......also w/a side of wheat crackers.:heart:
  • stacy_rihel
    stacy_rihel Posts: 47
    Options
    Just be sure your reading your ingredients ;) I have found in my area that Daisy 2% has the least amount of ingredients and all are natural.