Eating enough...

Options
I've been on this journey (this time) since January 1st, and I've lost almost 20 pounds. During the first 6 weeks, I drank 1 Pepsi a day (between 150-250 calories--depending on the size). I was not ready to deal with the caffeine withdrawals. Last week, I took the plunge and I've been Pepsi free for 5 days. I'm feeling full and not deprived (other than emotional cravings for Pepsi).

But since I stopped drinking 200 calories a day, I'm having trouble meeting my calorie goal. According to MFP and the TDEE method, my goal should be between 1700-1800 calories a day. I was coming pretty close to that. I make sure I never go under 1200, and occassionally I'll eat 2-300 of my exercise calories back (but still always under 2000.)

I am 43 and started at 306 (currently at 289). I walk 1-2 miles 4-5 times a week. I'm also doing C25K (3x a week) and Zumba (2x a week).

Replies

• kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This is great.
  • ghostdivatonya
    ghostdivatonya Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Well, don't start drinking Pepsi again no matter what you do. A spoonful of peanut butter or a healthy shake or something can help add some calories (if you can't eat a meal) One of my favorite calorie grabber is peanut butter on banana :) Congrats on kicking the soda habit!!

I treat myself with a Diet Dr.Pepper on occasion. Never the real deal (too sweet blah!!)
  • dmberreth
    Options
    Frankly, I couldn't survive with caffeine. Though I have cut back, I still need it to get to feeling "right".

Perhaps you can look into coffee or tea to still help you get some of it, not have the withdrawals, and you can up your calories a bit with it. Skin milk, almond milk, soy milk, etc - will add some protein and some calories for you. The anti-oxidants from most types of coffee and teas aren't bad either - and if you're a person who takes them sweet, raw natural local honey is good for building immunity to local allergens.

Personally, I go the coffee route, with a little soy milk, maybe honey or another no-calorie sweetener, and some cinnamon, which is great for blood sugar levels.

You're doing great so far though - keep it going. I wish I wasn't able to eat enough in a day.
  • KeRAWRi
    KeRAWRi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Maybe some chocolate milk instead? Or protein powder?
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    If you're used to drinking some calories and can't force yourself to eat more food, why not drink something else? Milk, soy milk, rice milk, almond milk, chocolate milk, smoothies, 100% fruit juice, kefir, pourable yogurt--go to the store and look around. There'll be something worth drinking that will help you meet your goals.