My experience of 5 week Bootcamp!!!

Options
Well I won a bootcamp with a local gym and Im going to maintain a thread about my experiences, I think it will be good for me to look back on as the weeks go by!!!

Day 1
Well day 1 today and what a doozy!! 25 mins into the session I was in the toilets throwing up!!! Then after about 10 mins went back to the room and no one was there and I was like whaaat where is everyone!!!! So I waited for about 10 mins and then left...then proceeded to start driving home, pull to the side of the road and have a big cry, then rang the instructor and left a voice-mail message apologizing for leaving and explaining I had no idea where they went and that id had a fairly large spew sesh...I missed his return call and he left a voicemail saying not to feel bad and that he sometimes gets sick when he works out too, hes going to call me tommorrow to chat...he also said they had all gone upstairs for 15 mins of boxing so thats why I couldnt find them

The instructors were sooo nice, and the actual excercising prior to feeling sick was enjoyable and they let me take my own pace....but now Im struggling with thoughts that

'i cant do this' , 'its too hard', 'im too fat and unfit for this bootcamp',

its a class of 20 and im clearly the largest and least conditioned by a loong shot and thats really intimidating tol

So Day 1 didnt go perfectley and Im just trying to psych myself back up and persevere and not quit because its sooo hard.

Ill let you know how day 2 goes - which is tommorrow, and its a nutrition session no excercise so easier to psych myself up to go back for tommorrow!!!

until next time....xxx Pink

Replies

• miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Dont quit....try and eat something atleast 1hr before you workout...working out on an empty stomach can make you sick, not sure if thats what happened but just in case

Stick to it....in a couple weeks, you will be surprised at how far you have grown

Goodluck
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    hang in there!!! The good thing about boot camps is that the instructors will NOT allow you to give up on yourself! All you have to do is get there! I'm starting a 3 month boot camp today and I'm super psyched!!!! It's just what I need! I've been doing great with my cardio but I need help and motivation to get back into weight training...soooooo here we go! I'll be there with you struggling but at the end of it all we can look back at some incredible progress! Meet you at the finish line! :wink:
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Aww hang in there, you must have felt terrible! Don't give up on yourself, you can do this, and I can't wait to hear you at the end of five weeks saying that you blew past all of your mental and physical limits. I'm proud of you for trying, for attending the first day, and for going back for more! Do not give up!!!! Vent here, sweat there. :bigsmile:

Good luck!! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! This is an awesome opportunity! Just think where you will be in 5 weeks! Just think the tools you're giving yourself and where you'll be this time next year. If something gets too hard just modify and keep going. I'm so excited for you. Keep posting.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    You can do this!! Have you seen the people on biggest loser???? One lady was was 48 and WON! So if she can do it at 250 or what every, you can do it at your age and size.

Pace yourself a bit more and take pictures RIGHT NOW>..........I swear, if you dont lose 1 pound your entire body shape will change, promise!

I am very proud of you for doing it and for seeking encouragement instead of giving up!

0002013F.gif
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! You will see some amazing changes if you tough it out. And, yeah, sometimes when you push yourself really hard, you get sick. I thought I was pretty fit until the first time I did the P90X plyometrics workout. Totally puked and spent the rest of the day with a migraine. But now I can do it easily. (Okay, not "easily" but it is definitely much easiER.) It can be hard to know where that line between "okay" and "puking" is and I'm not recommending that you push yourself to the point of being sick on a daily basis, but pushing yourself right up to that line is important to see big results. When we push, that is when our bodies are forced to adapt and grow and get stronger.

I'm so excited to hear how you progress through the bootcamp! I would love to do a similar program.
  • snowsflake
    snowsflake Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Oh I LOVE bootcamps! They can be challenging, but like everyone has said if you push through the hard part it will get easier and you WILL see results. I did a bootcamp a few months ago and we did an assessment the first week - plank hold, push-ups, lying leg raises AND running 1 mile! WHAT?! I had never run a mile in my entire adult life! And I was also the heaviest person there!

At the first assessment I told myself that if I finished the mile in under 15 minutes that it would be a success. I started out walking and said to myself that when I got to the end of the block I would run as far as I could. I ended up running the rest of it and finished at 12:49. I continued to run to get better and 4 weeks later I had to run the mile AGAIN...I ran it in 11:47!!! I had cut over 1 minute off of my time...AND the best part was I didn't come in last either time!

That was huge for me and I proved to myself that I could and would do this bootcamp and that I would continue on my weight-loss journey and will get to my goal! Sometimes our bodies freak out, especially when we ask it to do stuff that it is SO not used to doing, but it will adapt. Your results will come and you will feel so good when it is over!

I'll be doing an 8 week bootcamp challenge this summer and I can't WAIT!!

Good luck and keep us posted! :)
  • 4me2sibiai
    4me2sibiai Posts: 71
    Options
    Sounds like you are trying to keep up with the class. Ask the instructor for a "low level" of each exercise and then as that gets easier, you can push yourself. I had this happen with Kickboxing. I did it years ago and then when I went back last month, had to ask the teacher for the low impact version. I still got an amazing workout! :) Let me know if the teacher was able to change it up for you.
  • pinksultana
    pinksultana Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Day 2 - nutrition Class
    Well I think it was good timing that the second bootcamp session was a nutrition one, it gave me the chance to chat with the instructors and other bootcampers and they were all extremley helpful and positive. I suppose I was really worried that I was literally too unfit and big to do the bootcamp, but my mind was put at ease.
    The nutrition taight on the bootcamp is based around changing body composition, fat loss and lean muscle gain using a program called metabolic precision which is basically 6 meals a day with a couple of them being whey protien shakes and then each meal being made up of low level carbs, protein, good fat such as flaxseed oil, and plantfoods such as vegies. then you can have high level carbs such as bread or pasta ect for meals following a workout, and you can have 4 meals a week that are stuff up meals which allow for going out for tea ect ect....
    Im not sure how ill go with it, but I told myself I will try my hardest this entire bootcamp and for me that means taking on board their nutrition program just to see how it makes me feel and if it has positive effects ect.

Day 3
    Well I was very nervous going to this morning session....the 6am session that is :noway: that time basically doesnt exist in my world...well until now!!!
    The session was abs, legs and boxing so we did lots of planks, a variety of sit up sand crunches, squats and lunges mixed in with boxing and some running.
    It was very hard but I MADE IT TO THE END OF THE SESSION AND DIDNT THROW UP :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: very excited about that. I did feel at the end like if the session had gone any longer I may have started to feel sick, but the point is I wasnt. I am so glad I went as I feel I can do this now, whereas after leaving on Day 1 I really didnt know if I could physically keep up. Some excercises were modified ect but I tried my hardest and did what I could.
    i never really realised how hard boxing is in terms of cardio, its full on!!!
    There is such a mentall battle going on in my mind though, and the fear in the background that im not good enough and wont get anything out of it ect but I just have to put my faith in the process and dutifully follow the plan and not beat myself up if I have a bad day.
    One day at a time....stay tuned for Day 4 which is on saturday and is at the beach not the gym so should be interesting!!!

xxPink
  • cgarcia781
    cgarcia781 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Pink, You're doing it!!!! I'm gonna have to check out one of these camps, sounds interesting and very educational. Well, I'll keep an eye on you for future postings, you're an inspiration to me, since I'm new and have very little will power. I'm trying though....for me and for my family. I want to be there for them for a long time.
    Thanks for posting!

1047590.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Doing your best is always good enough!! Woot!
  • pinksultana
    Options
    my my oh how time flies when your being beaten down every 2 or 3 days :) , i need to fill you in on the last 4 days of bootcamp so far...

Day 4
    I was super nervous about day 4 as it was saturday morning, and on saturdays we go to various outdoor locations....which means we are exposed to the world which I HATE, because in the last 3 months when ive gone outside for a walk ive had names called out to me like fat butt and lard *kitten*, and a milkshake thrown over me from a school bus and it has been a really negative experience....BUT it went really well, and may in time restore my faith in humanity haha....maybe....we went to the local beach waterfront and went for a 1k warm up job....although by the end of it I was totally dead and ready for home time haha, everyone wenty at their own pace so I was a good 5 mins off the pace but that was ok, there was some nice random people we jogged past who told me to 'keep going' and 'your doing well' which is a big difference from a milkshake being thrown at me so that was good, then we broke off into two groups and my group did sprints up a slight hill and a light job back down for 6 mins, 2 min break, 6 more mins ....although my sprint were pretty much a jog because i just cant run any faster at the moment, especially up an incline!!!!
    then the groups swaps and we first found a partner and one partner did dips on the park bench while the other partner ran a circuit of witches hats and then partners swapped, i felt sorry for my poor partner who had to do dips for a very long time each time haha but she will have great triceps!! did this for 8 mins then we swapped to a square which we had to run as fast as we could - one side had a ladder to run through, 2 sides were normal and other side had hurdles to jump....so that was ridiculously hard and I felt bad because I had to let people go past me ect because I was slow but I just have to keep telling myself this is all about me and I have to only think about me and do my best and not get discouraged....
    then we had a 2 min break
    then we found steps and did like leg pulses up the step which was a killer
    and finallly a lovely cool down stretch
    I was very surprised I survived :) but felt great and also exhausted afterwards

Day 5
    SO day 5 was what they call a top to toe workout in a gym room, we used 5kg weights and a mat and focused on upper body and abs - LOTS of planks and moving planks which were very nasty, especially when they came around and placed the flat 5kg weight on our backs for the last plank!!! we also did pushups and I was suprised to find out i could do 5 proper pushups with the weight on my back....i didnt even think i could do pushups at all let alone with weights so that was good. we held the weight in front of us at arms length and did jumps staright into squats which was also a killer!!
    I really enjoyed this session, I think its easier for me to stay at my own pace when we are all in one room on our own mats as compared to out running and im lagging behind....I think mentally it doesnt stress me out as much or somthing....and also at this weight I haaatttee running because i am slow and jiggle everywhere lol....anyways I did really enjoy this session, but again left feeling i had no more in the tank to give!!

Day 6
    this was another nutrition session - so a releif to go to the gym knowing i was going to feel like i was going to die for 60 min haha talked about different types of protein powders to supplement diet, especially when working out as hard for muscle recovery, and also just about the need to eat every 3 hours and utilising healthy oils like flaxseed and omega oils, its funny - its all very same old sort of nutrition stuff but yet i find it very confusing, and i wonder if i just havent properly grasped reasons behind why certain foods are good or not ect so i find im learning heaps....one thing theyre big on is implementing small lastingg changes over longer periods of time so that theyre changes that stick....so they dont want us to one day drastically change the way we eat or it will feel like a 'diet' rather than a change of lifestyle....so we have to choose areas to focus on improving for this week, and for me that is ensuring i have breakfast including enough primary source protein such as from eggs and trying to minimise the high level carbs im used to eating at all times such as all the beige coloured foods and trying to incorporate more veggies / salads into my meals so theyre more colourful. so all pretty easy stuff in theory, i just need to plan plan plan

Day 7
    well today was another 6am session....whoa baby!!! i got there with 5 mins to spare today which was a miracle!!! todays focus was on abs and cardio fitness - so we started off with 6 60% sprints, 4 80% sprints, 2 90% sprints and 1 100% sprint....although because im so slow anyways i found it really hard to gauge what 60% compared to 90% was so i just did the best i could....but again by the end of this 'warm up' i was ready to leave haha.... then we each got a flat weight (the circle ones that go on the end of a stick that people lift with both arms...yeah i dont know the technical terms haha) i got a 5kg one. then we used these with various planks and crunches and sit ups, then we did planks with a partner where you hold yourself up on hands and toes facing partner then clap opposite hands, and i made 20 woohoo....then i had to go down to my knees as i just couldnt hold the plank on toes for anylonger, we did prop 25 mins of killer ab workout....then we headed outside for a run....which i absolutley HATED but the trainer knwoing i was the slowest stayed back with me and really pushed me and helped me not to give up, she didnt make me feel bad if i needed to walk for a bit but just challenged me and said ok we will walk until that lamp post and then run to the traffic lights and when you make the lights you can walk again....and so with her help I got there - i just looked it up on google maps and it was a 1.5k block.....so by the time i got back to the gym and walked upstairs to get my gear and really had no more left in the tank and sat down for 5 mins before cooling down and then coming home....i feel great but again exhausted but i know i pushed myself and am doing my best so thats all i can do eh....

stay tuned for more bootcampyness to come!!

xxpINK
  • cgarcia781
    cgarcia781 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for updating. Sounds really interesting all the things you do at this bootcamp. Keep on keeping on, it encourages me to not quite also. Take it easy and massage those sore muscles, I'm sore from dumb bells...lol!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is so inspiring. I got a little choked up thinking about your experiences with people calling you names or throwing milkshakes at you. I read that part out loud to my boyfriend and he said "What the hell is WRONG with people!" He was outraged. I know other people have had similar experiences. When I see ANYONE of any size walking or running outside I always just want to high five them and tell them they are awesome. Maybe I should start actually doing that instead of just thinking it in my head.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    Hero:love:
  • maurierose
    Options
    :happy: I sure am proud of you! You are SOOOO doing this, and you are FABULOUS, MARVELOUS, and inspiring! Keep posting, just think how many of us you're encouraging!

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile:

:smile: :flowerforyou:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is so inspiring. I got a little choked up thinking about your experiences with people calling you names or throwing milkshakes at you. I read that part out loud to my boyfriend and he said "What the hell is WRONG with people!" He was outraged. I know other people have had similar experiences. When I see ANYONE of any size walking or running outside I always just want to high five them and tell them they are awesome. Maybe I should start actually doing that instead of just thinking it in my head.

You should Definately do that. :flowerforyou:

I was rollerblading the other day. I saw this Larger woman jogging... it look like she was really pushing herself to keep going. As i passed by her, I don't know why,(I do know why... MFP is why :happy: ) I had to say "Great job, Keep it up". She said "I'm trying" and kept at it. Next time I came around (20 minutes later) she was still at it. I admired her so much, because I can not run/jog for the life of me.

Sorry OP, Didn't mean to Hi-jack your thread. :flowerforyou:
  • pinksultana
    Options
    Yeah I would say if you said something to me as I was passing by trying my best I would be really encouraged and motivated, its just nice to know there are people out there that are willing to encourage rather than just bring down others!!!

Anyways I know its been awhile since I posted....since I posted last Ive had 3 more sessions and then tragedy struck...ive done my knee in :( ....i dont actually know how I did it - it wasnt doing anything particular at bootcamp, but I woke up the day after our evening session with a really sore knee, and since have been to the physio twice who has confirmed a two sprained ligaments...so I am totally disapplinted and frustrated - have missed 2 sessions now of bootcamp because they were at the beach and the pain in my knee is so full on I couldnt handle uneven ground....so I have another physio appointment tommorrow, the pain is getting worse and I cant bare to have bedsheets or anything on it at night , so I think I may have to go get a scan and see what the prognosis is rather than just hoping it will get better.

In the meantime im determined to get my nutrition right so when I can get back onto the bike my body will be fuelled right, so Im going to take it one week at a time, but I think if I have to take a few weeks off from bootcamp I will definitly book into another one when I can, because I was really enjoying it....and realised I could do sooo much more than I had thought!!!

Anyways Ill let you know, sorry I cant keep filling you all in for now. on bootcamp greatness...
  • maurierose
    Options
    No apologies necessary! Get healthy, and be careful until you get checked out.... maybe the gym will let you pick up where you left off once things are healing and feeling better? Sure hope you feel better soon!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: