For Vegetarians and Vegans. Shocking!

Options
The question came up in the Happy Herbivore group of what foods may have hidden animal products. I took a minute to google it and found some really surprising things. Orange Juice with sheep fat in it, red candies colored with crushed beetles, gelatin in peanuts! Um freaked out!

Here is one of the links.

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2011/05/09/12-seemingly-vegan-vegetarian-foods-that-really-arent/

Replies

• fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I avoid anything red, it's a natural colouring so many companies use it as their first choice. Breakfast cereals with gelatin too. Sheep fat in juice is a new one to me though.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Maybe it is just because I live in Texas, but I thought most vegetarians were aware of the lard in refried beans. Those who abstain only on Lenten Fridays, not so much.
  • SleepySin
    SleepySin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    It's not really hidden if it's all stated on the labels - that's why it's important to read them :)
  • fuzzieme
    Options
    Maybe it is just because I live in Texas, but I thought most vegetarians were aware of the lard in refried beans. Those who abstain only on Lenten Fridays, not so much.

I never knew but I wouldn't have trusted refried beans from a restaurant anyway; I don't trust most restaurants though
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I dont think you really can get away from it. Many things use some sort of animal product during manufacturing. Best thing to do is try to minimize suffering to the best of your ability and purchase products that say they are ethically treated.

BTW not a vegetarian but I understand the ethical ramificatons
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Thats why they sell vegetarian refried beans, but at most resteraunts you're right, probably lard in them.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I never understood why people put lard or bacon in beans honestly...its gross when you think about it and adds extra nasty fat and calories.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I avoid anything red, it's a natural colouring so many companies use it as their first choice. Breakfast cereals with gelatin too. Sheep fat in juice is a new one to me though.

yup. little red beetles that make an excellent natural food coloring. most vegetarians will try to avoid anything with red coloring. kind of icky.
  • fuzzieme
    Options
    It's not really hidden if it's all stated on the labels - that's why it's important to read them :)

That's true but it's when things are labelled as "natural flavourings/ natural colourings", there's no way way to know that means insects or animal fat. I just put it back on the shelf but the first decade of doing that was frustrating. Contains sulphites written on the same product that still says suitable for vegetarians; that can mean anything. These are the products that annoy me. There's a lot to remember and if you aren't used to studying science it is a real pain. I just make what I can myself from scratch because manufacturers will throw anything into the mix, it might not be in the finished product so won't be listed in the ingredients, and the company still considers it vegetarian.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

yup. little red beetles that make an excellent natural food coloring. most vegetarians will try to avoid anything with red coloring. kind of icky.

The beetles are also used in a lot of natural red dyes for clothing and such. There are also insects that they use for yellow dye. Some times in manufactures use animal collagen for adhesives. Lubrications for machinery. Perfume making. Medications. Many other products you would find surprising.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    This is another reason why I don't trust anything processed or not grown and made by my fair hands....
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options

Yeh, I knew about that one too so I buy the "Vegetarian" ones. I never thought about it out to eat though which is dumb.
  • Hbazzell
    Options

It isn't on the "sugar" label since it is used in processing not the final product. But I didnt know what some of those things were so I like that they defined them here. I have pretty much knocked out foods with "science" (as I call it) in them and buy all natural or make from scratch but I have totally ordered OJ fro ma breakfast place before without thinking about it.
  • fuzzieme
    Options

It isn't on the "sugar" label since it is used in processing not the final product. But I didnt know what some of those things were so I like that they defined them here. I have pretty much knocked out foods with "science" (as I call it) in them and buy all natural or make from scratch but I have totally ordered OJ fro ma breakfast place before without thinking about it.

that's the one that's got me, I've used orange juice on my cereal in hotels when there's nothing else to eat. Lanolin in juice makes no sense, it's greasy! Sugar in products made in the UK and Ireland are, according to my research, free from bone char
  • imfivebyfive
    Options
    This is why I try to not eat anything that comes from a bag, box, or can.
  • jw17695
    jw17695 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness I don't eat any of those foods. But I've always wondered about alcohol. Now I know why some are vegan and others aren't. That is so gross..
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    oh-noes-everybody-panic.gif
  • McFatterton
    McFatterton Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I remember when I first became a veggie I was shocked (and quite bummed) that Baked Lays BBQ chips have chicken fat in them. Total bummer dude.
  • Hbazzell
    Options
    Thank goodness I don't eat any of those foods. But I've always wondered about alcohol. Now I know why some are vegan and others aren't. That is so gross..

barnivore.com has a list of several booze products and if they are vegan or not.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I had no idea about the BBQ chips! Glad I read this thread!