Gym & Weights

Options
I want to start doing more weights so I went to the gym today and didn't know where to start! I'm so used to just doing cardio, so I warmed up on bike for 10 minutes then did 3 x 15 reps leg press (80kg) some abductors and adductors 3 x 20 reps (50kg) 3 x 15 chest pulls (30kg) then ended up doing a few press ups, squats and sit ups as didn't know what else to do! Less reps, heavier weight?
any sites for getting started? - not brave enough to go to the boys side of the gym lol

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You'd be a lot better off on the "boy's side" with free weights and compound lifts. Try googling StrongLifts 5x5 or picking up Starting Strength.
  • Brosepius
    Options
    If your gym is segragated by gender, you should find a new one. A three day full body routine centered around squats, deadlifts, rows, bench press, overhear press, and pull ups would be good.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Well first off it isn't the "boy's" side, get that out of your head.
    As for rep ranges, it's really dependent on your goals.

For hypertrophy (muscle growth) I found 6-15 reps to be best, strength 1-5 and endurance 15+ (these two are fairly self explanatory).

Bodybuilding.com has a fair amount of workout routines, I can't vouch for how good any of them are though as I make my own. Many here are going to suggest 5x5 Stronglifts, maybe look into that?
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    ^^ I have no personal experience with Strong Lifts, but I have heard excellent things about. But I too, work out with the guys. The main weight room is MUCH more motivating than the "ladies only" room or the main machine area. Plus, you see a lot of different workouts to get new ideas.

That sounds like a pretty good start for someone who isn't familiar with stuff.

Check out www.bodybuilding.com -they have a ton of information, plans and workouts. They have videos of the different exercises so you know what to do.

Good luck!
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Go to the boys side, use the free weights.

And like Jimmie said compound lifts, which are: pushes, pulls, squats, dead lifts. For the first month I'd do 3 sets of 8-10 with 60 seconds rest between, while you break in. then you'll want to vary into other ranges. Use this first month to educate yourself.

There is a great book called "New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women"
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't be scared of the "boys side" My whole gym is the boys side (I'm the only female) You get used to it.

Secondly...
    As for rep ranges, it's really dependent on your goals.

For hypertrophy (muscle growth) I found 6-15 reps to be best, strength 1-5 and endurance 15+ (these two are fairly self explanatory).

...this
    Try googling StrongLifts 5x5 or picking up Starting Strength.

and this!
  • broomnic
    broomnic Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies, will do some researching tonight x
  • Caniac68
    Caniac68 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you made it to the weights side of the gym! Using machines is a good start but I agree with the other posts...free weights will do more for you than the machines. There are tons of routines you can do online. Just do a Google search for "free weight exercises for women" and I am sure you will find the right routine for you! Good luck and keep up the great work!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    you should check out either starting strength or stronglifts. That's my suggestion for the day.