KETO with or without dairy?

Options
:flowerforyou: Hello! Well I'm looking for some people who are low carbing it and I'm a rookie so please add me!!! Also just wondering if there's any conflict within diet because of dairy. I've "heard" that it can interfere with weight loss. Do you include dairy in your diet, yes, no, feel free to elaborate or ramble on...Thanks

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I've used protein powders and made a PWO shake with milk and still maintained ketosis before.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy like cheese, sour cream, cream cheese are great keto foods. Milk in moderation is just fine too for some people. You are only talking about 22G per 16 ounces.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i do full fat dairy products daily...multiple times a day even. greek yogurt, heavy cream in my coffee and cheese, cheese, cheese. i do intermittent fasting along with a ketogenic diet (65fat/15carbs/25protein) and have lost 8+ lbs since i started IF/ketogenic dieting 4 weeks ago. i lost the first 6lbs in the first two weeks then it slowed down the next 2 weeks. but i'm ok with slower losses, in fact, i prefer it that way. i just have 7lbs more to go and i'm thinking that can take me anywhere from 3-6 months...which is totally fine!

i also test for ketosis daily and have yet to lose ketosis with all the dairy i eat. i do average 40g carbs a day (net about 28g) and i get most of my carbs only from veggies and a few berries here and there.

hope that helps! good luck!
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I started this year on Atkins Induction where 4 oz of cheese is allowed. Hard cheese has 0-2 carbs per serving. Milk is not allowed due to high carb count. No fresh cheese, for example cottage cheese, for the same reason as milk. Cream , cream cheese is allowed. Yogurt is generally too high in carbs. Since I am way past the 14 day Induction phase and feel great, I tend to follow Keto more these days, staying between 20-25 net carbs (it's 20 on Atkins). It really depends on you and your carb intake.
  • AnguishLanguish
    AnguishLanguish Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Cheese, sour cream, cream cheese & cream are all great parts of the Keto diet (within moderation of course!). I love sitting down and treating myself to a cheese platter (whilst maintaining a calorie deficit); something that was previously forbidden when I was trying to do a 'low fat' diet!
  • jdholland5508
    jdholland5508 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    lb of hot Italian sausage then crack 12 eggs over it. 1840 Calories of pure keto glory
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Dairy has actually been shown in numerous studies to be very good for weight loss!

The theory is that it is the calcium, but supplements do not have the same results. Evidently, something about the dairy acts as a mild version of Alli, so that you excrete more fat.
  • siblita
    siblita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use heavy whipping cream, full fat cheeses, butter (a lot!), sour cream. Would hate to do low carb without them, but everyone is different. If you find that you are not losing, try a few weeks without it and see what happens.
  • Megh757
    Megh757 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I am not dieting I always stay in the 100-10 carb range as a lifestyle because I don't do well with carbs however times like now where I'm dieting and try and keep carbs between 25-30 I do eat things like:

Cheese of any sort
    almond unsweetened milk
    and carb master yogurt (available at Kroger)
    And I know this isn't dairy but I eat peanut butter and nuts

I don't find it messes with my loss but I know many people do. If it does then you can always go back to not having these things
  • Megh757
    Options
    lb of hot Italian sausage then crack 12 eggs over it. 1840 Calories of pure keto glory

I do enjoy both things but still wouldn't eat that many calories lol
  • Megh757
    Options

I do enjoy both things but still wouldn't eat that many calories lol

At least not in one sitting
  • Megh757
    Options
    I do use shakes as well

I like pure protein vanilla powder

But regardless of the powder use unsweetened almond milk