Anyone studied abroad, or going to?

Options
I will be spending 6 weeks in Guatemala studying Spanish and volunteering at an orphanage. I'm so excited, but worried about weight and fitness while I'm there. I'll be in a home stay, so I won't have control over diet, and I'm really not sure if there will be a gym anywhere nearby. I'm wondering how others in this situation have coped. I'm really hoping to at least maintain if nothing else.

Replies

• NSP85
    NSP85 Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi,

I studied in France while I was doing my French Lit degree 2 years ago and lived on the university so I had a bit more control over my diet because i was cooking my own meals. I would suggest always carrying around a snack like an apple or granola bar. I did lots of day trips and in France and even though everyone is super thin there, the food wasn't too healthy. I did a lot of walking too exploring my surroundings because I couldn't find a gym in my town nor on campus. Everywhere you go, there's going to be some type of healthy alternative and I'm sure you can find a route to run/walk.

What about cooking for your home one night a week or twice, give them a taste of healthy living.
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I would workout and make sure you do some strength training before you go so your bmr is up. Then just enjoy the experience (food included)... once in a lifetime trips are worth the couple of lbs you can burn off later!
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    My son went to China 3 years ago and ended up losing weight because of walking everywhere and eating probably less as not all the food was to his liking.

But, I was thinking, you could pack one of those resistance tubes and do things like bicep curls, tube squats, etc. Look on YOUTube for some resistance tube moves and workouts.

Have fun and be safe!
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your responses! Bringing my own snacks is a great idea, since I'm not sure what will be available to me there. Also, you're right, if I gain a couple pounds it's not the end of the world
  • alexandraaah
    alexandraaah Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I hadnt even thought about my diet exercise etc when I move to Spain for a year. However its not for another year and a half yet so I don't need to worry now :laugh: Although I'm more worried by the actual move than anything else.
  • mizbisi
    mizbisi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree. I hope to go to Florence next Spring and although I will be making healthy choices, I also plan to definitely indulge and enjoy the food that is available. I would say focus on eating as much produce as you can (it almost tastes better in other countries) and do a lot of walking. I hope you enjoy your trip!
  • oh_em_gee
    Options
    My son went to China 3 years ago and ended up losing weight because of walking everywhere and eating probably less as not all the food was to his liking.

But, I was thinking, you could pack one of those resistance tubes and do things like bicep curls, tube squats, etc. Look on YOUTube for some resistance tube moves and workouts.

Have fun and be safe!

I'm picky, so I am worried about not liking the food, lol. Bringing a resistance band may work because its nice and small, thanks for the idea
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Eat local and enjoy! this is an experience like none other. I lived in Paris for a year and had a boulangerie (bakery) across the street from my apartment. I ate a baguette every single day, and indulged in cheese and chocolate regularly (would also have indulged in wine but am allergic to grapes). The pastries were divine, the crepes sublime and frankly the food is one of the best parts about traveling the world. Don't worry so much about your fitness that you limit yourself, especially if you're living with a family because they will open your eyes to foods you may never have imagined before. Try everything at least once!

That being said, I lost about 25lbs while living in Paris because I walked EVERYWHERE. And took the stairs every day. (there were 786 steps on the stair cases between my apartment and my university) When I travel I always make sure to run, it's one more place I can mark off on my "Mira Runs the World" map and it's a GREAT way to learn about your new neighbourhood!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Most people lose weight when studying abroad because they are more active and eating smaller portions.

I don't recommend taking snacks, you are going to learn about local culture and that includes the foods. There simply will not be as many unhealthy options available. Even "sweets" will have less sugar in them than American food. If you do take food that isn't available there, it would be rude not to share.

You can always take the tubing, but chances are you will be too busy to worry about dedicated workouts, especially of you are playing with the kids in the orphanage.
  • oh_em_gee
    Options
    I studied abroad in Spain in 2009 and maintained because I walked. I had tons of chocolate, bread, whole milk and sugar in my coffee, crepes, sangria, you name it, I ate it. But this time around I want to focus more on being healthy. I guess I'll eat what is offered, hope I like it, and hope that walking and running around with the kids will help me maintain
  • triff14
    triff14 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm currently studying abroad in Costa Rica. Looks like we'll in the same neighborhood :P I've been here since January 12th and am leaving April 27th. I was worried about the same thing, too. I personally gained a little weight when I got here because my host mom makes me a huge breakfast and dinner, and I was going out to restaurants every day and getting a huge lunch, too. I've started walking to the grocery store and buying healthy veggies and such and making salads for lunch (or snack) and put an end to that!

I looked up common Guatemalan dishes and it looks very similar to the things we eat here in CR! I myself am vegetarian, but there is typically a lot of veggies, meat, fruit, rice, and beans. People around here eat a ton of fresh foods. If someone is cooking for you in a home stay, I would not worry about getting proper nutrition. In Latin America almost everything is healthy and fresh, because fruit and veggies and such are really cheap here! As long as you aren't going out to eat at the fast food places I wouldn't worry about the diet too much.

For exercise, cardio should be covered because people walk everywhere! You could print out some bodyweight workouts that you can do in your room for toning. I brought my laptop even thought I didn't know I would have internet here, so I brought 30DS DVD and some 3lb weights and can do that with my laptop. Turns out I do have internet so I can do youtube DVDs here! I also bought a gym membership but I usually don't have time to go until after dark (6pm) and it's not very safe to go out walking after dark.

If you don't want to bring a laptop, I would suggest bringing your smart phone or iPod touch if you have one so that you can log your food in WiFi hotspots while you're on the go.

I hope this is helpful! You can add me if you like, I'd be glad to answer any other questions! :) My diary is open so you can take a peek at what kinds of foods I eat here in Latin America!

Hope you have a great experience in Guatemala!
  • junebaby21
    junebaby21 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I studied in Italy. We ate pasta and wine everyday. The water is limited and very expensive. However, I came home 30 lbs lighter because of all of the walking. Also, there are very few fast food joints and no delivery service for late night munchies. Enjoy EVERYTHING!
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I lived in Mexico for a little over a year and did gain weight. I joined a basketball team and ran 5/7 days of the week for I'd say 90% of the year while living there. I mostly ran because I enjoyed exploring new places and it made me feel good (I would recommend taking up running :D) I knew from the beginning I would be trying all kinds of food so I went there knowing I would come back heavier than when I left Canada. But really it's a once in a lifetime experience so I'd say do your best to not over-indulge but try a bit of everything because you will regret it if you restrict yourself, at least in my opinion.

As far as food goes it really depends if you are living on your own, with a Guatemalan family or in a Uni residence. Don't stress, just make the best choices you can with what you've got. And find something you really enjoy doing for exercise :)
  • oh_em_gee
    Options
    I lived in Mexico for a little over a year and did gain weight. I joined a basketball team and ran 5/7 days of the week for I'd say 90% of the year while living there. I mostly ran because I enjoyed exploring new places and it made me feel good (I would recommend taking up running :D) I knew from the beginning I would be trying all kinds of food so I went there knowing I would come back heavier than when I left Canada. But really it's a once in a lifetime experience so I'd say do your best to not over-indulge but try a bit of everything because you will regret it if you restrict yourself, at least in my opinion.

As far as food goes it really depends if you are living on your own, with a Guatemalan family or in a Uni residence. Don't stress, just make the best choices you can with what you've got. And find something you really enjoy doing for exercise :)

I'll be living with a Guatemalan family. I may be taking Spanish classes, but I'm actually primarily going there to volunteer
  • oh_em_gee
    Options
    Hello! I'm currently studying abroad in Costa Rica. Looks like we'll in the same neighborhood :P I've been here since January 12th and am leaving April 27th. I was worried about the same thing, too. I personally gained a little weight when I got here because my host mom makes me a huge breakfast and dinner, and I was going out to restaurants every day and getting a huge lunch, too. I've started walking to the grocery store and buying healthy veggies and such and making salads for lunch (or snack) and put an end to that!

I looked up common Guatemalan dishes and it looks very similar to the things we eat here in CR! I myself am vegetarian, but there is typically a lot of veggies, meat, fruit, rice, and beans. People around here eat a ton of fresh foods. If someone is cooking for you in a home stay, I would not worry about getting proper nutrition. In Latin America almost everything is healthy and fresh, because fruit and veggies and such are really cheap here! As long as you aren't going out to eat at the fast food places I wouldn't worry about the diet too much.

For exercise, cardio should be covered because people walk everywhere! You could print out some bodyweight workouts that you can do in your room for toning. I brought my laptop even thought I didn't know I would have internet here, so I brought 30DS DVD and some 3lb weights and can do that with my laptop. Turns out I do have internet so I can do youtube DVDs here! I also bought a gym membership but I usually don't have time to go until after dark (6pm) and it's not very safe to go out walking after dark.

If you don't want to bring a laptop, I would suggest bringing your smart phone or iPod touch if you have one so that you can log your food in WiFi hotspots while you're on the go.

I hope this is helpful! You can add me if you like, I'd be glad to answer any other questions! :) My diary is open so you can take a peek at what kinds of foods I eat here in Latin America!

Hope you have a great experience in Guatemala!

I do expect more fresh food and less processed, so that should help. I'm kind of picky so I'm a bit worried,but I'm sure I'll make it work. I will bring my iPad since I need to be in touch with home and possibly a net book in case something gets lost or breaks. I don't have a smartphone. I'll be in Antigua though, so there are some cyber cafes and the program center has wifi.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I studied abroad January 2012 in Europe (Italy and France). Our school group stayed in hotels and ate out every meal. But all the walking we did helped me lose a couple pounds that month. Just enjoy the experience and listen to your body.
  • soniabogonia
    soniabogonia Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I studied Spanish in Madrid for a month and there was so much walking involved. I ate everything i wanted but avoided drinking too much beer.

Go and enjoy! My husband's family is from Guatemala and they have awesome food. I hope to visit one day.
  • oh_em_gee
    Options
    I've been to Guatemala before, but just for a week. I was also eating at restaurants, so I was more in control of what I ate. This time will be a little bit different. Good, I think, but different
  • PamelaGip
    Options
    I studied in France and graduated last year. If you do not have a lot of information about the food and the living and other important costs of living in France then I would recommend you visiting this webpage. It helped me a lot - http://www.studying-in-france.org/.

It will be benefitial to you - and I recommend reading all the content especially the Cost of Living in France..
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Me. I started my healthier lifestyle abroad after gaining a lot of weight there.

I also, through portion control and walking tons, lost most of my weight while abroad.