Am I deluded?

Options
I was on here a while back and after getting comfortable with recording details and getting into a rhythm I lost c.2 stone.... I then sold my house and moved back with the parents... then bought a house with no kitchen [an ongoing DIY issue!] just fridge, micro, table-top hob [all gave me an excuse to take a break, but can prepare a healthy meal no problem, so no excuses any longer!!]. I have now put it all back on and of course more!! I really didn't think I would %@~&-up so badly (again!) this time.

I have been overweight my whole life and as I am short my weight feels quite extreme. I have exercised my whole life (min. 6 hours per week) and even though I am grossly overweight I continue to do so. It would be difficult to fit much more into my lifestyle besides kettle bells, planks, step etc. which I have and do in my front room on the days I don't already have training/matches. So my weight loss comes almost entirely from food.

In the past I've done every fad known to man (lost and gained back 'and more' every time) but loved MFP last time because it is not a fad. I hope it will work again but I want to think about why I didn't stick with it! Was the calculated 1200 too low? ...meaning it felt like a short-term restriction not a life-long change? Am thinking of going 1500 instead (500 less than what women are supposed to have and still far short of my past 6 months eating habits) - will I lose weight this way or will I just continue to gain weight but more slowly?

Any advice you can give would be appreciated:
- those who never fell of the wagon, what helped you?
- those who fell of the wagon, how did you get back on and stick with it?

Thanks all. Back to Day 1 logging today :0(

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Figure out your BMR (lots of online calculators) and eat at least that. Most people can't be happy long term eating 1200 calories. MFP only does math so if it's giving you 1200 that's because you've ask for too aggressive of a weight loss goal.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    What activity level are you using on MFP?
  • kbcara
    kbcara Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    By BMI i'm pretty much dead... hence the 1200 calculation - a nutritionist also said 1200 but short-term it worked and long-term I failed (again) so am wondering if 1500 more realistic to lifestyle change.

I am not sure what 'activity level' means but I entered 6 hours a week at moderate if that answers your Q?
  • concordancia
    Options
    By BMI i'm pretty much dead... hence the 1200 calculation - a nutritionist also said 1200 but short-term it worked and long-term I failed (again) so am wondering if 1500 more realistic to lifestyle change.

I am not sure what 'activity level' means but I entered 6 hours a week at moderate if that answers your Q?
    MFP asks you if you are sedentary, lightly active , moderately active, etc. what did you choose?
  • kbcara
    Options
    Ah sorry it asked me that the first time around and I didn't recall it. My profile says 'Sedentary' - I am desk based all day.
  • BlondeViki
    BlondeViki Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    MFP puts me on 1200 because I chose sedentary (desk based job too) but I found my weight loss slowed right down to non-existent on that level of calories and I'm actually doing better on 1400-1500 calories (i.e. pretty consistent 1lb off a week).

I wore a pedometer for a week and found that I do about 7,000-10,000 steps a day getting to and from work and pottering about the office which worked out at about 250 cals. So when I was sticking to 1200 cals, my body was only getting 1000ish net. I reckon that was enough to slow me down.

What I am doing each day, whilst not enough for me to raise my heart rate generally, is probably enough to move up to 'light activity'.

Maybe it's worth having a think about what your levels of activity are like when you aren't at your desk?
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    If you're set at sedentary, are you logging all the exercise and eating back any of the calories? It may be that you're netting a very low amount that is stalling your progress.
  • kbcara
    Options
    I eat back some/not all as I think some of the estimates are ridiculous e.g. there is no way I lose 900+ calories training for a sport similar to basketball for 2 hours. Usually I would say on 1200 I eat back around half unless I think the estimate is more realistic then I eat back all. But on 1500 I may not eat back all. As I have said 1200 did work, but I couldn't maintain it and yet had more weight to lose so perhaps 1500 will be more realistic?
  • kbcara
    Options
    Thanks for all the thoughts but I guess these are my key Qs.
    - can you lose weight at 1500kcal per day if recommendation is 1200?
    - those who never fell of the wagon, what helped you?
    - those who fell off the wagon, how did you get back on and stick with it?
  • concordancia
    Options
    I eat back some/not all as I think some of the estimates are ridiculous e.g. there is no way I lose 900+ calories training for a sport similar to basketball for 2 hours. Usually I would say on 1200 I eat back around half unless I think the estimate is more realistic then I eat back all. But on 1500 I may not eat back all. As I have said 1200 did work, but I couldn't maintain it and yet had more weight to lose so perhaps 1500 will be more realistic?

Running drills, shooting drills, etc? I bet you are burning 400-450 an hour!

If you are training at least five times a week, it makes more sense to set your level to moderate and only worry about additional exercise.
  • devan44
    devan44 Posts: 130
    Options
    Yes you will stlll lose weight. You have it set to lose 2+lbs a week that' s why it gave you 1200 calories a day. If you eat 1500 you will stll lose weight at 1 lb per week. If you exercise and don't eat back your calories you will lose more. Some people say you should eat back your exercise calories everyday, I don't. I say do what feels right. If you are hungry and want to eat them back - if not then don't.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    For me I do not think of it as diet. I am on a journey to be healthier by eating the right things and exercise. Sometimes I make bad choices. I just keep moving as it does not impact my next meal.
  • violinkeri
    Options
    Eating at 1200 only worked for me for the first 2-3 weeks...and tahts the time frame anything works. Im finding I am having better luck eating maintenance calories for my goal weight and working out 3-4 days. its slower going, but for me its helping develop the eating habits im going to need to keep once I get where I want to be. Plus its healthier to lose slow and steady.
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Figure out your BMR (lots of online calculators) and eat at least that. Most people can't be happy long term eating 1200 calories. MFP only does math so if it's giving you 1200 that's because you've ask for too aggressive of a weight loss goal.

Do this^^ I am also short. After couple of years of working on my lifestyle change (and falling off the wagon for several months) I find that I do much better at 1400-1500 calories or so. This is sustainable for me and only a bit under what daily requirements will be once I reach my goal weight. As such, I think it's sustainable because my body is getting enough nutrition at this level and thus does not fight against the loss. Essentially, I am trying to eat as the person I am working to become. My BMR based on various calculators puts me at 1325-1500. I suspect I'm on the low side of that just due to age and underactive thyroid. Good Luck. Hope this helps.
  • VickiMitkins
    Options
    Eating at 1200 only worked for me for the first 2-3 weeks...and tahts the time frame anything works. Im finding I am having better luck eating maintenance calories for my goal weight and working out 3-4 days. its slower going, but for me its helping develop the eating habits im going to need to keep once I get where I want to be. Plus its healthier to lose slow and steady.

And ^^this^^
  • violinkeri
    Options

Do this^^ I am also short. After couple of years of working on my lifestyle change (and falling off the wagon for several months) I find that I do much better at 1400-1500 calories or so. This is sustainable for me and only a bit under what daily requirements will be once I reach my goal weight. As such, I think it's sustainable because my body is getting enough nutrition at this level and thus does not fight against the loss. Essentially, I am trying to eat as the person I am working to become. My BMR based on various calculators puts me at 1325-1500. I suspect I'm on the low side of that just due to age and underactive thyroid. Good Luck. Hope this helps.

sounds like we are on the same plan :) like dress for the job you want, not the job you have
  • kbcara
    Options
    Thank you all - very helpful! I think slower loss, close to something I can live with may work better. Will give it a go!
  • tripful
    Options
    Hi! you asked are you deluded? I'd argue, no you're fine! :) But if you might be, then it definitely wouldn't be you're fault! You should be applauded for taking your health into your own hands! Perhaps, though, instead of looking only at numbers, answering some questions about caloric *content* is in order? Do you feel comfortable at your current caloric intake, eating the kind of foods you do? Have you been able to remain healthy there, pretty effortlessly? Do want to perhaps want to get leaner (less body fat %)? Get more nutrients? Or do you care about any of that? ... Your opinion there absolutely deserves respect and any way you feel is perfectly fine. =)

Without being able to see your food diary, but just form observing your concerns and forgetting all the numbers for the moment, I'd assume you're intake is moderate to high on carbs, almost none to low on fat and moderate on protein? If that's even close to correct, then I'll take a general stab at it:

I would move your carb intake more towards non-starchy, leafy vegetables, like mustard greens, kale, swiss chard, collard greens, etc. Then I'd pretty much eliminate alcohol, and nix the pasta, refined sugar and most grains (I say *most*, in the sense of staying on the perimeter of your grocery store, avoiding the isles of "fake" food, cereals included). After the starch/sugar/carb reduction of whatever degree, I'd replace the vacancy with *high quality* fats found in stuff like nuts, oils (virgin olive, red palm, etc) and fish (salmon, sea bass, etc), grass-fed beef and free-range poultry, organic or local pork, following with as much butter and cheese as you prefer. If you were at, lets say, 55% carb, 15% fat, 30% protein before, doing the above would probably move you towards 5-15% carbs (of the mostly complex, fibrous variety), 50-70% fat and 15-35% protein, depending upon the balance with which you find yourself naturally most comfortable.

Overall, I think that would help break your "plateau", while at the same time help pull you away from having to count calories as meticulously as I suspect you are (which, if you think about it, our ancestors, who were all naturally more healthy and "fit" than most of on average, never had to do, nor did they even know what a calorie was, haha!). Anyways, the foods you'll be consuming will be more satiating (fill you up better and keep you full longer), less aggressive (ie. less likely to be stored as body fat), more nutrient dense (excellent on many levels) and less efficient (lower % consumed likely to become body fat). And the overall pattern of your eating will move from mathematics to the simple notion of "eat when you're hungry, and eat until you're full".

Understand, though, that all of the above comes with a few things you might not be used to, or perhaps might be startled to see. Your total caloric intake will most likely go up, probably violating MFP's strict calorie counting approach to weight loss; and your %fat / %carb balance will be flip-flopped against the numbers MFP uses. In short, there's a bunch of backstory and tons of supporting study as to why I think that is perfectly ok, but keeping to the point, I have a feeling if you gave it a try, you might like the results. That's just been my experience. Whatever route you pick, do keep us posted! =)
  • VickiMitkins
    Options

sounds like we are on the same plan :) like dress for the job you want, not the job you have

Exactly - I'm also throwing in a little IF. Seems to help me a good bit.
  • kbcara
    Options
    Yes I am back to counting, though it is the act of logging rather than calculating that I think works for me, and if my count is over but I have eaten healthy options - by this I don't meet low fat/low sugar packaged/processed foods, I mean lots of veg/fruit and good quality meat/fish or healthy grains, then I won't be upset about a few calories here or there. But I want to get back to logging everything to try to instill a little self-discipline again. Sigh... long road ahead but have done it before and must get on with it again! Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement and well done/good luck with your own journeys.