How do I stay motivated?

Options
I've tried and tried to stay motivated. I dwell on losing weight from the time I wake up in the morning until I go to bed at night. The problem is that while I'm eating my snacks I keep thinking that I have to lose weight. I know that I'm not hungry, just out of boredom. Suggestions anyone?

Replies

• ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Hi - Are these 'snacks' outside your daily intake plan (over your calories or just 'bad/empty calories)?
  • arstone
    arstone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I hear you!! I wish I could become as motivated to work out as I am to snack! I do really well for a week to a month and then I fall off the wagon.
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up....just get very focused.

I wake up a bit earlier these days & immediately change into my workout gear.
    It keeps me in check. Before anything can bring me down, I get moving and by day's end I'm not even snacking like I did before this journey began....

You don't need luck. You don't even need to get crazy about this thing.
    You just need to get on a schedule. Plan everything, including THOSE snacks.

You can do this....get focused. I believe in you! :wink:
  • amk44
    amk44 Posts: 159
    Options
    Do you have any hobbies? Or is it possible to take a walk (outside, around the block or down the road a ways, and away from the food)? Do you use the daily diary? Sometimes having to admit how much I consumed helps to motivate me. :smile: Do you have a buddy? Walking this journey with someone who understands what you are going through can also be a great motivator.
    I have a wonderful friend on here who motivates me (from across the world) to exercise by sending me friendly email checkins and little "challenges of the day". (That reminds me, I have some situps to do before I answer her last email... :laugh: )

Also, I actually "threw away" some food recently, so I wouldn't be tempted to eat any more of it. I decided my health was more important than the snack foods I had purchased. Do you know that the act of "throwing away" unhealthy food can be quite a motivator? I'm a frugal person (was raised that way), so doing this really left an impression on my brain not to buy foods that I shouldn't be eating. :tongue: I felt I had just told my body that I was the one in control... :happy: It actually felt good.

Hoping you will stay positive and pick yourself up and try again when the Munchee Bandit attacks. :happy: For me, each morning presents me with an opportunity for a "fresh start". Good luck to you .:heart:
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options

It keeps me in check. Before anything can bring me down, I get moving and by day's end I'm not even snacking like I did before this journey began....

Hooah is right....you MUST be focused...I sleep in my workout gear and when the alarm goes off at 5:10 i get up and grab my sneakers and ipod and out the door for a run in like 5 min.....I used to hate and dread getting up early to exercise...now i look forward to it beacuse I know I will have it in for the day no matter what comes up to change my schedule each day:0)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    ,,, I dwell on losing weight from the time I wake up in the morning until I go to bed at night. The problem is ,,,
    Wow,,, you dwell on it all day? I don't know if that's helpful - it means you're thinking about eating/food/diet stuff all day. As somebody else said - get a hobby. Find something else to do. I don't snack excessively 'cause I'm always doing something, so it just doesn't cross my mind to gnosh for no reason. I just don't have time.

Do you have a bicycle? That's my big thing nowadays since the weather's nice. Do you like to walk/swim/draw/paint/garden? Get out of the kitchen and away from the TV and this gets way easier and more fun.

You can do it. Just choose to do it, and do it. :smile:
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    You have to view this for what it is - a lifestyle change, and not a 'diet' with quick results. It's hard, it requires a lot of hard work to change your thinking, and your body is not going to change overnight but it IS doable. It's all about learning to view food and your relationship with it in a different light. It's easy to get discouraged/unmotivated if the only thing you're focusing on is the numbers on the scale. Try looking at the way healthy foods/exercise are going to make your body feel. Snacking is okay - you just have to make good choices about the kinds of things you're going to snack on.

You can do this!
  • SquidInTraining
    Options
    double post... :blushing:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,713 Member
    Options

I agree with this so much! Heck, you don't even have to be motivated. You just have to decide what you're going to do and then DO it, whether you feel like it or not. That may sound oversimplified, but in my mind, it really is that simple. If I relied on motivation, I'd never keep going. I liken it to doing the dinner dishes. I don't ever "feel" like doing them, but it's something I do every night anyway because I know what the mess would be if I didn't. I also know what the mess would be if I didn't stick to my food plan and my workouts, so not doing them really isn't an option. Shifting my thinking has helped immensely. I hope you can find something that works for you too!
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you need to do away with your snacks untill you become stronger. I have done the same thing your doing for years. Mindless eating. Are you exercising? I use to prepare my lunch thinking about my dinner? Now I gave up sugar it was a diet killer now I have energy. I also use the Cyristal light drinks to sip on when I want a snack and it's snack time. At some point you have to realize your more important. than the moment. and you will get through it. Be Blessed.
  • Luvilybri
    Luvilybri Posts: 19
    Options
    The one piece of advice I can give you is take one day at a time. It is a hard journey to go through but it is possible. It may be best to get rid of any snacks that arent going to help u progress in your journey. Maybe invest in healthier snacks so when you need something it wont be bad for you. good luck
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I stay motivated by associating food with my gym routine.

Bar of chocolate - 20 minutes to burn off
    Burger - 1 hour to burn off

Thanks to this site I know what the calories are for most of the junk I used to eat so when I think of them I then remember the sweat and achy bones needed to burn it off and that puts me off wanting it :smile:

The more I exercise the less I want the bad stuff.

For many of us it has to be a complete lifestyle and nothing short of that will do. It's when you combine everything that it all really starts making sense.
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    I know what you are going through! The best thing is to go through all your food and toss the bad stuff! Don't buy anymore of it....it's going to suck and be really hard but it's necessary. Find something to keep you busy....dwelling on losing the weight will only bring you down. Finally try to forget about the end of the journey and take notice of the small changes as they happen. You'll get to your goal before you know it! I totally believe in you, there's plenty of success stories happening here right now. Come back here often especially when you need a pick me up! We'll be here for you!! :flowerforyou: You can do this!!!