Tread vs outdoor

Options
I am wondering if anyone else has trouble translating from tread to outdoor running. A few years ago I completed the C25K program through the winter on the treadmill. When the first decent weatherday came about in the spring I was so excited to actually "run" outside!

I anxiously laced up my comfortably worn running shoes and hit the road. . . . for about 4 minutes! I couldn't breathe, I was blowing snot and wheezing like I had never run a step in my life!!!

To make a long story short (and less embarassing) I had to start the entire program over. Vanity kept me from starting at week one but I had to go back to week 2, day 1 and go from there. I did finally finish the program but I learned not to train on the treadmill without increasing the incline by quite a bit!!

Anyone else?

Replies

• watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    LOL. Yes, running outside is totally different from the treadmill. The first time for me, I thought I would die! But now I find running outside so much easier than on the treadmill. I think because I don't get so bored. I have things to look at, and make little goals for myself while I am running outside. Keep going!
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    lol I am the oppisite I am going to be going from outside to a treadmill .
    I prefer outside but its just to slippy and -20 winds are killing my asthma
    But I have heard that you should up the incline when running on the TM it will mimic outside a little better
  • gettingfit65
    gettingfit65 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if anyone else has trouble translating from tread to outdoor running. A few years ago I completed the C25K program through the winter on the treadmill. When the first decent weatherday came about in the spring I was so excited to actually "run" outside!

I anxiously laced up my comfortably worn running shoes and hit the road. . . . for about 4 minutes! I couldn't breathe, I was blowing snot and wheezing like I had never run a step in my life!!!

To make a long story short (and less embarassing) I had to start the entire program over. Vanity kept me from starting at week one but I had to go back to week 2, day 1 and go from there. I did finally finish the program but I learned not to train on the treadmill without increasing the incline by quite a bit!!

Anyone else?

you just described me perfectly. It was also the first time I had done C25K. Went outside and barely got going and had to stop. Was stunned!!!
  • paul_draper
    paul_draper Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Outside everytime. Even in the winter you're getting daylight. You meet other people, feel the breeze, find new places and observe nature. And it's free!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    the transition is tough but totally worth it, it definitely took me a few weeks to transition to the road when I first started, though after taking a running hiatus for a year or so when it came time to start up again I chose road first, makes for much more interesting runs! Give yourself time, pretty much everyone feels the same when transitioning.

Last week I had to do my long run on the treadmill (20.8k) because of snowy weather and it felt infinitely harder/more boring than doing 24k this week outside...long live the road! :wink:
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I LOVrunning outdoors but the weather in MN has be on the treadmill. Set the incline to 1.5-2% as that will help you transition easier. I find that I run faster and "free-er" (is that even a word?) running outside after running on a treadmill. Either way, you're rocking it so don't worry too much
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I love running outside, but it is harder. I find it much more fun to run outside then on a treadmill. With the treadmill I am always looking at the time/distance. Keep at it and it'll get easier.
  • ambate2
    Options
    I started as an outdoor runner and tried running on a treadmill over christmas and man, was that hard! i like to run outside because i can set my own pace and i realize my pace naturally varies as i run. i have a hard time running at a constant speed. i've also found that road running and track running are different too! it's amazing how fast/slow you go on different surfaces.
  • angrykitty13
    angrykitty13 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For fun -- Chris Clark trains on a treadmill for part of the year since she doesn't really have the option to run outside in Alaska during the winter. This didn't stop her from making the Sydney Olympics:

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/how-chris-clark-broke-through

http://juneauempire.com/stories/091300/Spo_Run.html
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    It's totally different. Keep in mind a treadmill sets your pace for you. Outside running, you do it yourself. I love outside running because you really connect with yourself to set the pace.

There's more to look at and take in. Not to sound like a hippie but I feel more "alive" running outside.

However, when it's snowing in Maine or below zero; I'm on the DREADMILL. If you must, try intervals with different speeds and inclines. It's kind of like trail running.
  • DavidKBrewer
    Options
    I had a shock like that after thinking I was killing it on the elliptical. I could do the elliptical for like an hour (dripping with sweat). So I thought I could at least run a couple miles outside. I didn't make it 5 minutes before I had to stop and question my life.

Completed the couch to 5K outside (sometimes on an indoor track) and I love running now.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    because of my asthma i can only run outside if the temp and air conditions are just right. Otherwise my lungs seize up. Esp if its too cold- i will run harder than i do inside because i dont feel like i am working hard enough, and i end up overdoing it.

i prefer to run on a treadmill for these reasons and also so i dont get hit by a car or fall on cracked sidewalks/paths
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience!

I did a run the other day at a local park, through winding hilly trails full of tree roots and dirt - and let me tell you - there were several times where I thought I was not going to finish ! If I didn't have a workout partner with me I would have walked the whole way !

The treadmill is challenging but I think I get a better workout when I have to propel my own body forward. I use more of my muscles on the hilly paths.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I hate running on the treadmill, it is an absolute last resort. Lately I've been running on an indoor track since I can't get outside to run durring daylight hours. I do so much better running outside and enjoy it more. Runny nose, windblown eyes, and all.

I've heard that if you use a treadmill at around 1% incline it simulates outdoor running better. But the set pace part is just not comfortable for me.
  • MichelleSawatzky
    MichelleSawatzky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I would rather run outside anyday, but the snowy MN winter can be slippery/dangerous so I do intervals on the treadmill instead. Yes I do struggle a little when I do get back outside in the spring, but I figure it's to be expected after being on a treadmill that is pretty much doing all the work for me. When I do just run on the treadmill I set the incline at 2%. When I do intervals my workouts go a lot faster because instead of focusing on how many miles I'm focusing on the minutes I'm jogging, running, walking at 10% incline, and then back jogging, running, etc.
    Stay with it! Any cardio exercise for your lungs and legs will help you this spring when you can get outside.
    Have a good winter - Spring cannot come soon enough for me!!:flowerforyou:
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Yes, most people find it harder to run outdoors because a treadmill does the "propelling you forward" part while you are running, where is outside you actually have to push off the ground.

I mostly run on the treadmill at the gym as our neighbourhood is less than desirable and my husband REALLY doesn't want to have to worry the whole time i'm out.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I found it very different. First, when I run at 6.0 MPH on the dreadmill, it's like 7.0 outside. Sounds like your pace was faster than you had practiced. There are other things like hills; in particular the down hill which can't be replicated on a dreadmill. Then there is the wind and wind resistance. All these factors add up to the difference.

I still d both, but I try to keep my long runs limited to the outdoors.
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    They are just different. Running on either one doesn't totally prepare you to run on the other. In the winter where I live I have to run on the treadmill as it's just too cold outside for me. One thing that even the incline on the treadmall can not similate is a strong headwind and it will make a BIG difference if you have a headwind. I can't do speed intervals on a treadmill, I just don't feel safe or comfortable running full tilt as hard as I can on a treadmill. One wrong step and it's a broken ankle or worse. I have fallen running outside and that's bad enough but I am really afraid of what would happen if I fell on a treadmill.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, part of the difficulty stems from the muscles that are used. When you're running on a treadmill, the "road" is moving for you.

When you're running outside, you need to propel yourself forward, since the road shouldn't be moving on its own. Our glutes, hammies, and quads have to work differently in order to propel the body forward. Granted the change is minimal, but it's apparently enough to make running on the road a little more exhausting.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Either or, doesn't matter to me.

I find running outside WAY easier though.