Chow at the Workplace

So, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with picking good foods to take with me to work! Like, snack foods.

I have an office job, so I basically sit at a desk and computer for six hours. I get pretty bored with doing the same thing everyday, and when im bored, I get very hungry :( and I eat whatever is in sight.
I am trying to break this bad habit, so what are some good, healthy foods that I can take with me (for snacks and lunch) that will also ensure that I am full?

Replies

• danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Fruit...apples can also take a long time to get through so I find it satisfies me. Try teas and other low cal hot drinks, too, for distraction!
  • Green_eyed_beauty
    Green_eyed_beauty Posts: 101 Member
    Almonds, cottage cheese with whole grain crackers, rice cakes, celery w/ peanut butter, carrots, tuna fish... those help me. I sit at a desk most of the day too and I understand your issue.
    Good luck!!
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    I always have either a Luna bar or a Kind bar in my purse. Most varieties of either one are around 200 calories, and pretty filling. Kind bars are my current favorites
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    I'm a desk jockey as well. I keep fruits and nuts in my desk. Sometimes I pack leftovers for a snack as well. really depends on what you need. Heck once in a while I get Peanut M&M's for a snack, Its all good as long as you plan for it and log in the cals.
  • MeaganMichelle93
    MeaganMichelle93 Posts: 17 Member
    Thanks for all of the responses :) I didnt even think of some of those things!!

Maybe I should start a healthy snack drawer in my desk :)
  • I'm in the same boat.

Step 1 for me is to leave my money at home, so I can't use that damn vending machine.

Depends on what you really like though. I've heard mixed things about fruit when trying to lose weight. If your weight is okay, then fruit should be awesome for maintaining.

I like hard cooked eggs. Not boiled! Cooked. Let AB show you how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUHKpHek2E8

I find having lots of drink helps. I make a pitcher of tea and take at least a liter with me to work. Plus I use the coffee and tea machines religiously there (it's free, so why not?). Hunger is still a big problem for me though - but I'm working on it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I always have something on hand that prevents me from going to the vending machine.

Applesauce cups (no sugar added)
    100 Calorie mircrowave popcorn
    String Cheese sticks
    Canned soup .... sounds weird ... but hits the spot on a cold day

Another poster mentioned tea ...... chai (with skim milk) and honey is a wonderful afternoon pick me up
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    I recommend drinking lots of water, especially if you think some of your eating is out of boredom. You'll also get a little more exercise walking to the bathroom!! :)
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    I've got fruit, milk, protein powders, peanut butter, unsweetened shaved coconut, canned veggies and meat, steamable frozen veggies and frozen, precooked meat.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    celery
    carrots
    apples
    peppers

raw broccolie

collieflower
  • I keep several snacks on hand. Almonds, Skinny Cow cheese and low fat crackers, cuties, lots of flavored water and diet citrus green tea. I'm like you, sit at a desk and eat out of boredom.
  • fkwilhelm
    fkwilhelm Posts: 42 Member
    Whatever you eat at home, i.e., leftovers?
  • wizzo1109
    wizzo1109 Posts: 11 Member
    I find that almonds keep me full & they make me thirsty so I have to drink water...lol it's like killing 2 birds with one stone!! Good luck.
  • jdatillo
    jdatillo Posts: 19 Member
    I like to have....
    Oikos greek yougurt
    Almonds
    Carrots and celery with Hummus or light pb
    Tuna (flavored Tuna packets are good)
    Animal Crackers
    100 calorie snacks
    Protein bars
    Soup
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    I plan out a weekly menu so that when I go shopping, I basically only buy the food we're planning on eating that week. For lunch, I usually pack myself a "main course" (like a wrap sandwhich or a Cobb salad) and then 2 snack (like a cheese stick and an apple or a yogurt and orange wedges)
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    I plan out a weekly menu so that when I go shopping, I basically only buy the food we're planning on eating that week. For lunch, I usually pack myself a "main course" (like a wrap sandwhich or a Cobb salad) and then 2 snack (like a cheese stick and an apple or a yogurt and orange wedges)
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    I pack my lunch and snacks every morning. I log them before I pack them so I can mess around with the calorie total I'm packing between my lunch and snacks. Usually ends up being a fruit and peanut butter and gluten free crackers and hummus, or veggies and hummus or veggies and peanut butter, yogurt, string cheese, or cashews. Just depends on what I'm having for lunch and how many calories I have open.
  • pushyourself14
    pushyourself14 Posts: 275 Member
    -Dry roasted unsalted peanuts
    -Unsalted almonds
    -Rice cakes (I personally LOVE the caramel chocolate chip, caramel corn, and butter popcorn varieties.. yum yum yum!)
    -Apples and oranges
    -Popchips (healthy alternative to chips - 170 calories for 31 chips :D)
    -Breton popped! multigrain cheddar/bbq/sea salt flavour crackers (they're kind of like cracker chips.. there are a couple other varieties of low calorie cracker/rice chips out there)
    -Granola bars
    -Cheese strings
    -Yogurt
    -Carrots or celery with some ranch dip