Les Mills Pump & Combat.....reviews?

Options
I'm just getting back into this routine again. Ok I'm starting almost over.

One thing I'd like to do is have a new workout. I've done JM 30DS and Supreme 90 Day. I'm not into P90X because of time and I'm just Insanity material yet. I tried CLX and that woman drives me nuts and I felt her moves were so fast I was going to hurt myself (then I did and returned it).

Les Mills Pump & Combat have my attention. Can anyone who has these give me more details about the workouts? Typical routines? Results? Do them together? In succession? Are they even worth it????

Or any other workouts you can suggest?? I really liked S90 Day but I don't want to repeat it right now.

Replies

• Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    *listening in*
  • findingmyfit
    Options
    The gym I go to has Les Mills Body Pump classes. I definitely recommend it. A LOT of squats! A LOT of reps! It definitely works your whole body. I went to a class a couple weeks ago and there was about 800 reps worth of exercises altogether.You should be sore the next day! Starting out I'd only try it once or twice a week. But it'll definitely give you a good sweat!
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Ok but how do the DVDs compare to the class and what is the makeup like? 800 reps of what? How is the workout structured? I know NOTHING about this guy or his format. Gyms around here don't offer them and I don't use the gyms around here.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I haven't done them myself, but am part of an online group where several women are doing the DVDs and from my experience with classes, they are very very similar and they love the DVDs.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Ok but how do the DVDs compare to the class and what is the makeup like? 800 reps of what? How is the workout structured? I know NOTHING about this guy or his format. Gyms around here don't offer them and I don't use the gyms around here.

The class at the Y is an hour.
    You work one muscle group at a time to a song that is maybe 5 or 6 minutes long.
    The first song is all squats. You do different combinations of counts and moves.
    For instance, you slowly go down for four counts and then back up for four counts, then you go two by two and then singles etc.
    The idea is to keep challenging the muscle by loading it differently throughout the song.
    You repeat a pattern of different counts and moves a few times till the end of the song.
    The idea is slightly less weight but a lot of reps.
    You can use a bar bell, free weight or your own body weight.
    The hour starts with a warm up, working all the muscle groups in the first song and then has a cool down song at the end with all stretching.
    Does this help?
  • deanadimples
    Options
    Yes it does. This is a new type of workout to me.

I'm not sure if I want to do combat first for weight loss and pump after to strengthen muscle or both intermittenly.

Thanks.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I forgot to add that I have not done Combat, so I cannot comment on that aspect of the work out.
  • Kris0109
    Kris0109 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Combat's a lot of almost kick boxing and martial arts like stuff. Again with the songs to kind of break the class up. The one I REALLY like is actually Attack. I think it does the best job for the weightloss while incorporating plyometrics.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Yes it does. This is a new type of workout to me.

I'm not sure if I want to do combat first for weight loss and pump after to strengthen muscle or both intermittenly.

Thanks.

I do BodyStep followed by BodyPump, back to back.
    Attack is too high impact for my knees.
    But everyone is different.
  • byereverd
    byereverd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a Team Beachbody coach and am doing Pump right now. I LOVE it, my body is gaining lean muscle quickly and the inches are falling away. The weight training is great for leaning down. I haven't gained or bulked like women fear. I do follow the meal plans, but have modified mine. I do also drink Shakeology every day. So, coming straight from another, "not a big personal P90 fan due to time, Insanity kills me and CLX wasn't my cuppa tea", I am a pure believer and lover of Les Mills Pump. I just ordered Combat to do as my cardio in between the days of weights. Please let me know if you have any other questions.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Bodypump is great to learn about weightlifting. If you have never lifted before or don't have the opportunity to hire a trainer, I definitely recommend it.

Combat is a super fun cardio class. You can do both in a row if you want but that is over 2 hours of working out. I'd suggest alternating them throughout the week to mix it up and not get bored.

Pump will make you sore the first few times.
  • samanthasimps0n
    samanthasimps0n Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've only done Body Pump and Susank66 explained it very well. I really like it - you can definitely feel your muscles working. The one negative for me is that you focus on only 1 muscle group at a time so its kind of slow. I enjoy working on different muslces at a time like squats with an arm press. I'm more interested in Body Combat although I've never taken the class.
  • jeremyjhartley
    jeremyjhartley Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I will put in my $0.02 about Les Mills Combat. I have now been through about 45 days of Combat. Before starting, I had knee and back issues that prevented my from doing Insanity. I really love the workouts of Combat. They are fast paced, high calorie burn workouts. The music is pretty good in them, I actually now do all of the workouts with "Music Pumped Up" option and you can barely here the trainers anymore. My wife wasn't as big of a fan, she thought it sounded a bit too much like European Techno. For most of the songs, they are pretty popular songs that have a bit of a techno beat mixed in.
    After 45 days, I know that I am in better shape. The first thing is that my back and my knees don't hurt any more. The workouts have stabilized my core so much that it has taken a lot of pressure off my low back. I know this because I recently did the P90X Plyo X workout "just for fun." I previously always had issues with that workout. I could barely do the modified moves without causing pain. This time though, I kept up with "Dom" for the entire workout. (If you don't know who Dom is, he is well known for the Plyo X move of jumping knee tucks. He does 30 seconds of jumping almost to the ceiling and tucking his knees to his chest at a super fast pace.) I was exhausted after, but it felt good and I had no pain.
    Now, though, I am actually starting to add in a bunch of the P90X workouts because the main thing that Combat lacks is weight training. The cardio from Combat is great, but the weights based workouts are more of light weights in a HIIT format. But that is part of the "theory" behind Combat. They are trying to train the "fast twitch" muscle fibers.
    I have never done Pump, so I can't comment on that. You can't go wrong with Combat. I love the high intensity (without a ton of impact) and the high calorie burn it gives.
  • lovelee79
    Options

I've done Body Pump in the gyms since the early 2000's. I love it becuase its a total body strength workout, that has very easy "choreography". anyone can do it. (unlike step class or zumba where you feel like an idiot when you can't do the moves and have two left feet like me!) I think Les Mills is from New Zealand. His programs have been around since the 80's or 90's (?)
    In the DVD's there are about 5 instructors from around the world guiding you though. You tube it, maybe you can see a clip of what it looks like.

I bought the Les Mills Pump dvd system that comes with the barbell. it come with two 5lbs plates and two 10lbs plates. (For a max of 30lbs plus the bar. but for a beginner that is plenty of weight!) I started with just 5lbs plates, and I was sore for days! You do a total of about 800 reps through the whole 60 minutes, so for example: 100 squats, 100 dead lifts, 75 shoulder press etc etc... You can buy more weight through them or at any sporting goods place.
    I really like the dvd's because it's very easy to follow, and you really do get a great workout. I think it has 6 dvd's total.
    So for example the 60 minute dvd would have squats, lunges, chest press, biceps, triceps, dead lift, clean & press, shoulders, abs and a stretch. You will be breathing hard, and sweating! and sore!
    I have a HRM and it says I burn about 600 calories per 60 minute PUMP workout.
    Hope this helped :)
  • lovelee79
    Options

I've done Body Pump in the gyms since the early 2000's. I love it becuase its a total body strength workout, that has very easy "choreography". anyone can do it. (unlike step class or zumba where you feel like an idiot when you can't do the moves and have two left feet like me!) I think Les Mills is from New Zealand. His programs have been around since the 80's or 90's (?)
    In the DVD's there are about 5 instructors from around the world guiding you though. You tube it, maybe you can see a clip of what it looks like.

I bought the Les Mills Pump dvd system that comes with the barbell. it come with two 5lbs plates and two 10lbs plates. (For a max of 30lbs plus the bar. but for a beginner that is plenty of weight!) I started with just 5lbs plates, and I was sore for days! You do a total of about 800 reps through the whole 60 minutes, so for example: 100 squats, 100 dead lifts, 75 shoulder press etc etc... You can buy more weight through them or at any sporting goods place.
    I really like the dvd's because it's very easy to follow, and you really do get a great workout. I think it has 6 dvd's total.
    So for example the 60 minute dvd would have squats, lunges, chest press, biceps, triceps, dead lift, clean & press, shoulders, abs and a stretch. You will be breathing hard, and sweating! and sore!
    I have a HRM and it says I burn about 600 calories per 60 minute PUMP workout.
    Hope this helped :)

(OOPS! SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POST! :/)
  • deanadimples
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

I bit the bullet and ordered Pump. I figured I have 30 days to try it. I will know by then if its a good fit for me.

I'm still interested in Combat but may add that later. I have a treadmill and like to run on that for added cardio so I'm thinking I will do pump with treadmill days in between.

Any other comments/reviews are welcome!!!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!

I bit the bullet and ordered Pump. I figured I have 30 days to try it. I will know by then if its a good fit for me.

I'm still interested in Combat but may add that later. I have a treadmill and like to run on that for added cardio so I'm thinking I will do pump with treadmill days in between.

Any other comments/reviews are welcome!!!

That's how I started, doing the elliptical and treadmill first and then going to the Pump class.
    I thought two classes in a row would be too much for me initially.
    And actually, learning the flow of one Les Mills class made it easier to do the other because I kind of knew what to expect.
    Let us know how it goes :smile:
  • bnjones23
    bnjones23 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have done both!! Pump was great for toning and combat is great for calorie burn and agility. I use wrist weights with combat and have seen more definition in my arms and shoulders. Pump has major repetitions and leave you feeling challenged!! I actually did an hour of pump today followed by an hour of combat and it was awesome!! I am also a Beachbody coach and would be happy to answer any questions you might have!!
  • Terree_G
    Terree_G Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Love the BodyPump class. I do it once a week with a group at the gym, along with two other training days -- one on my own and one with a personal trainer. Cardio only on other days, plus one Les Mills core class (CXWORX). It makes for a good mix and I never get bored.

The Pump class challenges me to keep up and keep pushing, unlike my solo workouts, where I can rest between series, etc.