Where to get good running shoes?

Options
I have had my Nikes for about 1.5 years, and when I got them it was mostly because they are cute... and now that I have been running on the treadmill, they are just not cutting it anymore. I got blisters from them last week after running 2 miles and I am just done with them. I know people say "go get fitted for new ones" but where do you go to get this done?

Replies

• leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    An actual running store, ie Running Room.

IMHO 1.5 years with the same running shoes is a long time.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I go to FleetFeet and they assess your gait and fit you with shoes based on how you run. I don't go anywhere else for my running shoes.
  • sarahmoser522
    sarahmoser522 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you are located. In our area, there are several shoe stores that do fittings that I love. In the Kansas City area, we have Garry Gribbles Running Sports and Elite Feet. I have always shopped Garry's for running shoes, and love that they evaluate the way I run, check out my old shoes for wear patterns, and try shoes on me based on style and fit, not color or cuteness. Good luck!
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I go to FleetFeet and they assess your gait and fit you with shoes based on how you run. I don't go anywhere else for my running shoes.

Great. I have never heard of them before. they have a location here in TN. yay!
  • crystal9999
    crystal9999 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Google running stores in your area. Be prepared to spend at least $100 on a really good pair of running shoes. Shoes that you get in stores like Academy fail miserable when compared to a shoe from a running shoe store, IMHO. The local running store in my area video records you jogging on the treadmill and they slow down the video to see if you need a guidance shoe. They also have this machine that you stand on that measures your foot and your arch and tells them what kind of shoe you need.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Try to find a store that is specific to running. In Canada, I recommend "The Running Room". I know they have some in the US, but I'm not sure if they have a location near you.
  • leighdiane91
    Options
    An actual running store, ie Running Room.

IMHO 1.5 years with the same running shoes is a long time.

When I got them I wasn't running or even walking all that much. I just needed tennis shoes for work and they were cute. Now that I am wayyy more into fitness, I need new ones. But wanted to do it right.
  • IrishChick71
    IrishChick71 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Asics Gel-Kayano 19 is what was recommended for me.

This might help: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/2013-spring-shoe-guide?page=1
  • Laurej
    Laurej Posts: 227
    Options
    I don't know if you have a fleet feet there, I get mine fitted there.

If you don't have a fleet feet, google running stores and look for one that does fittings. A good store should offer that on their website . Also, most really good running shoe stores will offer a full refund/ exchange for the 1st 30-60 days. good luck!! :)
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Brooks running shoes!!! I just got a pair and they are soooo comfortable and lightweight. They are also super cute, colorful and sporty looking.

You can order online but I got mine at Finish Line.
  • leighdiane91
    Options

I live in Minnesota, we don't have a fleet feet =(
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Google "running stores near (town you live in)". The local ones are really good at figuring out your pronation and which types of sneaks would be best for your stride/pronation/needs. You'll spend some dough but it's worth it. Your feet, ankles, and knees are worth it!
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I have been meaning to post the same question so glad to see someone else did and that people have responded.
    I don't run but I walk on the treadmill and I walk outside and I get blisters and rubbing.
    Anyone have any suggestions for stores in Canada or even more specifically in Ontario?
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Google or use Yelp and search for a running store.

I would try and avoid a big sporting store and stick with a store that focuses on running. You have better odds of being helped by someone who knows what they are doing.
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    Blue Mile (not sure if there's one located near you or not?)
    ****s Sporting Goods
    Finish Line
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Fleet Feet!!!

They measure you, watch you walk, talk to you about lower body problems you have, and give you tons of selections!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have been meaning to post the same question so glad to see someone else did and that people have responded.
    I don't run but I walk on the treadmill and I walk outside and I get blisters and rubbing.
    Anyone have any suggestions for stores in Canada or even more specifically in Ontario?

The Running Room. http://www.runningroom.com/hm/inside.php?id=3033

OP - they actually have locations in MN as well.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Well in Mount Pleasant SC,,, you walk into TrySports and they look at your feet tell you your size and pull out a pair of shoes... you put them on, they put you on a treadmill and have you run as your feet are videotaped and then analyzed. I wear high stability Asics and have not had a blister in about 3 years and 4 pairs of shoes later. Little pricey but with your feet it's worth it. :flowerforyou:
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I see you live in MN... there are several stores in the state that offer this service. Stores like Fleet Feet, TC Running Co., Gear Running Store, and Runner's Gate. They will assess you and let you run on a track/treadmill to allow you to truly decide if you like the shoes. Have fun!!!