Eat - Workout OR Workout-Eat

Most of the time I have to work out in the evening. My schedule is as follows:

5:20 Pick up daughter after work
5:45 Get home from work
6:15 Go workout

Here's my question, workout first, then eat dinner....
OR eat dinner than workout...

And with your answer....

I've been eating a protein about an hour before I get to the gym... if I eat dinner BEFORE a workout, should I eat a protein bar after?

Have I confused you?

Replies

• LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    i workout then eat. i can't workout after eating it makes me sick
  • Depends on your workout.

Eat to fuel your workout, or eat to fuel you recovery.

Or split your meal and do both.
  • If my stomach is growling pre-workout - I eat something. If I'm feeling okay - after. I
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    I usually eat some type of carb before I workout, a banana or apple, then after I work out I eat a veggie/high protien meal. So I would say eat dinner after you come home.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    This is a personal preference issue. There is no clear conclusion to nutrient timing. Do whatever makes you feel better and lets you hit it hard!
  • cmpace
    cmpace Posts: 30 Member
    So, eating after isnt too late? I've been trying to avoid eating a couple hours before I go to bed. But I guess I'm still burning calories after a workout, right?
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    If I haven't eaten for more than, oh, probably 3-4 hours before I work out, I'll eat something small. Otherwise, I typically eat afterward.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Timing of meals is not that important. What is important is that you are getting enough protein within 24 hours of a workout and that you are meeting cal, micro, and macro goals for the day. The rest is personal preference. What fits your lifestyle better, or gives you better performance?
  • generally i work out after i eat my supper and this helps me to not overeat so that an hour after i eat i am ready to hit the gym and wont end up getting an upset stomach. works for me, everyone is different though :)
  • elperry13
    elperry13 Posts: 1 Member
    I can't workout to my full capability if I'm hungry, so if you're starving I'd eat something small like an apple.

After you workout, your body continues to burn calories for up to ~45 mins after so I workout then come home and immediately cook some sort of protein (chicken usually) and vegetables.

And make sure to eat before 730!
  • DeMarraDontStop
    DeMarraDontStop Posts: 342 Member
    I usually eat after I come home from working out. Since I'm eating throughout the day, I'm usually good before the workout!
    In the end, go with how you feel..
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Doesn't matter. It's your choice / your preference. This is one of those times when "listen to your body" actually applies.
  • youlighter
    youlighter Posts: 129 Member
    This is a personal preference issue. There is no clear conclusion to nutrient timing. Do whatever makes you feel better and lets you hit it hard!

Completely agree! I tend to find that if I am going to be in the gym for 2 hours that a 250 calorie protein smoothie ( I prefer Herbalife but any would do) before hand works best for me. If I am going to get in a quick 20-30minutes of cardio or weight lifting, I will go 100%+ for that 30 minutes and then go with a recovery meal.

Again, Do what feels right to you. Give it a week one way and log all your notes. Then give it a week the other way and log all your notes...THEN JUST COMPARE and CONQUER!!!
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    So, eating after isnt too late? I've been trying to avoid eating a couple hours before I go to bed. But I guess I'm still burning calories after a workout, right?

Oh yea!! Your body will burn off your dinner. Also, I had a trainer once and she said it was fine to eat 30 min before going to bed. I lost 30 lbs with her. Then of course school, work, and quick meals on campus got in the way and I've gained it all back. So, I'm starting over but I've 9 lbs so far.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Honestly it's personal preference and how you feel. I've done both at some point due to schedule constraints after work. I found that if I ate before I worked out I was more likely to skip the gym because I was already home and had gotten comfy or I wasn't working out as hard when I did go because I was still digesting. Working out then eating afterwards works so much better for me. I'll have a small snack before I leave work so I'm not starving when I get to the gym. Try both and see which one works better for you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I cannot have a meal right before a workout. I eat about 5-6 times per day, so one of my snacks is generally an hour or so before I get to the gym...I can't have a whole meal though, I'd be puking. I drink my whey post workout.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    I have coffee before my workouts and a nice big meal after. I hate working out on a full stomach.
  • silencethelamb
    silencethelamb Posts: 28 Member
    Do what makes you feel good, maybe try out both ways and see what works best. I have my lunch around 12 pm but get to the gym/training session 6/7 pm so I have a good snack before hand, then a late dinner when I get home 8/9 pm.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Everyone's different ..... do what works for you .....

I go to the gym after working ...... then go home & eat dinner :drinker:
  • chip40
    chip40 Posts: 21 Member
    If I am hungry before an evening workout, I'll eat something light to settle the craving and have energy to make it through my workout. Generally after my workouts, the hunger is usually gone and I consume protein for muscle building and recovery in the form of protein drink, supplements & multi vitamin. If I must eat late in the evening, I try to keep the calorie count under 300-400. Typical person will burn 500-600 calories during a 8hr night of sleep. So, yes you will burn calories after a evening workout and sleep, but you want to keep that calorie meal count down at night. If you consume more than your body will burn overnight, that will get stored as fat.