Good times..!

Options
Hey everybody..!!

I'm completely new here, but thought i needed to get my health on track, so any help or advice would be much appreciated.

I've just turned 29, and well i can feel the inevitable happening, my trousers are feeling tight, and my little tummy is rapidly turning into the largest organ in my body..

I feel that losing 1 stone (14lbs) losing 2 inches round the waist and getting my fitness up and i'll be happy but i do not know where to start or how :(

I just need some motivation and some help to stop binge eating, it feels that i can go for most of the day without eating but when i do finally eat, i cant stop.

I'm currently a policeman and shifts screw my eating patterns up, does anybody know of any advice to help maintaing a healthy diet whilst doing shifts?

Anyways thats all for about me, hopefully i'll be able to repay you guys with motivation and good will, if i can help anybody let me know...

Thanks for reading and speak soon.. :)

Cheers Dan

Replies

• metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place Dan and welcome! i have never heard the term stone but i like that i don't have to lose as many stones as i do pounds works for me!! wishing you much success:smile::drinker:
  • WussKat
    WussKat Posts: 63
    Options
    Hi Dan!

Welcome to MFP - you are definitely in the right place!

I used to work for the police in a large office - didnt do shiftwork but oh, the number of birthdays and, therefore, doughnuts we HAD to eat!! Probably where my excess weight started :-))

Only advice I can give re shiftworking is try and plan your meals out and stick to them...take stuff to work with you and, if you have time(!), make sure you eat it. That way maybe you won't feel like bingeing when you get home? And make sure you add every food you have to your diary...it really helps to see exactly where those calories are coming from.

Good luck :smile:
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Binge eating is bad news so just stop that. Really important to get some protein within an hour of getting up. This site will help you alot!
  • CreativeRedhead
    CreativeRedhead Posts: 2,166
    Options
    Hi and Welcome Dan!!! Sounds like you're in a bit of a jam there with the shifts and binge eating. Not too worry, you can curb that naughty habit! My advice would be to plan your meals out and make them ahead of time if possible, so you're not just raiding the kitchen when you come home. Make sure they are healthy filling meals. Take protein bars or fruit along to work with you to snack on if you can't take a meal. I definitely know you can do this! Wishing you all the best Dan!!! :wink:
  • janesutcliffe
    janesutcliffe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi Dan,

The best thing to do to avoid binge eating is make sure there's no food in your house that you'd typically binge on - don't buy crisps, sweets, biscuits, pizzas etc. Instead, have low-sugar cereals, fruit and ricecakes. There's only so much of those you'd want to binge on anyway!! Also, try making meals from scratch - if you have to put time and effort into it, it makes you think more about what you're eating. Avoid ready-meals (loaded with salt and sugar anyway) and definitly steer clear of any 'just add water' options such as pasta n suace, pot noodles etc. Make healthy veggie soups and take some to work in a flask.

Good luck!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    welcome aboard! You can do this,,, just choose to do it, and do it.

This is easy - here's all ya' gotta do:

Cook smart, lotsa good filling stuff. Some fruits, lotsa veggies, some grains-cereals, some starchy stuff, some lean meat. Almost nothing fried (and certainly nothing batter dipped & deep fried), and very very little pastry/cakey stuff.

Count your calories accurately with the food guide here, and stay as close to your calorie allowance as you reasonably can. If you cook properly you shouldn't be too uncomfortable on the calorie allowance MFP will give you.

Get some exercise - work that gym, walk a little every day, something - that's a huge help. Remember to log your exercise and eat at least some (I eat most) of your exercise calories. Exercise is a self-feeding phenomenon. If you push yourself to do just a little today (it's supposed to be hard,,, it's exercise ) then you'll feel better about it and it'll be easier to do it again tomorrow. Then in a week you'll be able to do more, and it'll start to get fun. In a year you might be running 10k's,,, it's up to you.

And drink your water!

That's it, piece o' cake. Wife and I have been doing it for about 16 months now and we've done well. Lost about 135 pounds between us, and we're in much better shape. You can do it too.

"Do - or do not. There is no 'try"
    Yoda.
  • dan1981football
    dan1981football Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice...

Might throw a party and get rid of all the crisps :)