Is it still bad?

Options
If you go over your calorie intake because you are super hungry and eat a banana as a snack? I mean.. it's not chocolate or chips right? Or am I wrong?

Sometimes I'm just really craving something to eat but I try not to because I don't want to go over my recommended calorie intake. I just wonder if maybe it's okay if i go over it with a healthy snack. Any thoughts?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I can't think of any reason not to snack on a banana or 2 or 3 even if you do go over your alotment for the day.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry you should eat something small. For me , a small serving of cheddar cheese or peanut butter helps.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I find nuts or PB or cheese to be more filling.

I also really wish MFP changed to a "was within x% of goal" notification. Take a look at your weekly report. A couple of hundred calories over the long term isn't going to make much difference.

A couple hundred calories everyday will slow you down, but will still be a deficit for most people.
  • Kaypix
    Kaypix Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it depends on why you're hungry. If you're watching TV or something sedentary and suddenly feel like you have to eat NOW, it might be either thirst or a mental hangup about boredom=food. In the past I've drank a cup of water (8 oz) and waited 10 minutes. If I was still hungry afterwards that told me I was legitimately hungry and not either thirsty or just bored.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    If you go over your calorie intake because you are super hungry and eat a banana as a snack? I mean.. it's not chocolate or chips right? Or am I wrong?

Sometimes I'm just really craving something to eat but I try not to because I don't want to go over my recommended calorie intake. I just wonder if maybe it's okay if i go over it with a healthy snack. Any thoughts?

Is it BAD? No... going over calories here or there won't kill you.

That being said, calories from a banana are no different from the calories in chocolate or chips. Over = over.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Nope, most people have such a big deficit from their TDEE that they should probably be going over their amount...
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Um no.

I put away 1700-1800 calories a day and am fine, if anything you could probably eat that and still lose weight ;) Just dont go over your TDEE and you will be fine.
  • alondrasilva10
    Options
    Um no.

I put away 1700-1800 calories a day and am fine, if anything you could probably eat that and still lose weight ;) Just dont go over your TDEE and you will be fine.

What is my TDEE (Sorry, I'm a bit new)