Protein...

Options
Is it a bad thing to go over your protein range if you are staying in range with fat, calories and carbs? If it's lean protein, is it a big deal to be over by say 20-30 grams a day?

Replies

• lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but I have that same issue too. I adjusted by settings to increase my daily protein percentage and decrease fats and carbohydrates - just a little - like added 5% to protein over what the suggest recommendation was. That has helped and I now stay wthin every range. I'm interested to see what others have to say too...
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I think MFP's protein recommendations are WAY too low. I get around 30% of my daily calories from protein, about 80g minimum. No, protein generally is not harmful unless your kidneys are really messed up.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am always way over in protein.
  • Firefrog76
    Firefrog76 Posts: 45
    Options
    Wonderful!
    I don't know about anyone else, but that makes me feel better! I know if I don't get enough protein in a day my mind feels fuzzy and I just feel BLAH! until i get some in my system!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!
    I don't know about anyone else, but that makes me feel better! I know if I don't get enough protein in a day my mind feels fuzzy and I just feel BLAH! until i get some in my system!

If I don't get lots of protein all day every day, I just want to eat like a fiend. Ha!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    agreed! MFP protein is too low. You can reset the levels.
  • maybeme
    maybeme Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and I thought the protein was kind of low too.... But how do you reset the levels?
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and I thought the protein was kind of low too.... But how do you reset the levels?

Change your goals - but do the "custom" instead of the "guided" - there you can change the percentages of each item individually. But be careful not to change things up too much! :laugh:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 30% of my diet, which I think is adequate. :happy: It's hard for me to reach since I burn so many calories, I have to make up for the lost protein but I'm not as hungry as when I was set on MFP's recommendation for carbs/protein/fat.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Considering goals, I think about what is good for you and what isn't. I consider the calorie, carbohydrates, and fat numbers to be maximums. I consider protein and fiber to be minimums. I try to exceed them.

I think you can get too much protein, but you would have to double the number on MFP to even consider worrying about it.
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Being that I am on a high protein/low carb plan my protein is always in the red lol. I do think that MFP protein is way to low any ways. I don't think extra protein is going to hurt!!
  • skatjon
    skatjon Posts: 29
    Options
    that is actuall good. You need protein for building muscle and depending on your workout program you might even need more. If you spend 3 days a week or more lifting yo should get about 1 gram per lb. of body weight. I set my goals 40% carbs, 20% fat, 40% protein. As long as it's lean protein I don't worry about getting to much. I count my sugar, carbs, and fat over everything else.