Walking/Jogging, sucess stories?

Options
smframe1
smframe1 Posts: 17 Member
For now I am walk/jogging for 45 minutes a day, 6 days a week. Can anyone share their sucess stories for some inspiration/motivation? Thank you:)

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Six years ago, I lost around 70 pounds by watching what I ate, logging it, and walking.....and walking.....and walking. I probably walked around 20 miles a week during the school year, and closer to 30 in the summer. I have gained some back, and am now working to re-lose about 15 pounds.....and THAT is tough!

After I had lost the weight, a guy friend asked me how I had done it. So I told him, "I walked my *kitten* off!" He turned me around, and whispered in my ear, "Literally!" Dave died about three months later, and this is my fondest memory of him. He was a big guy, and I think I was inspiring to him wanting to get healthier.

Kaye
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I started out walking that led to jogging and ow I run. I also run with my toddler in a jogging buggy. It's the one exercise I look forward to....it just burns the fat and it's great to get outside! I'm not very fast, I run 10k in about 1:15.

I have lost 71 pounds with 63 pounds left to lose.
  • iliveintheshire
    Options
    I'd HARDLY call mine a success story, more of a work in progress, but here it goes:
    When I started (January 1), I could barely run for 15 seconds without stopping and my heart rate getting to 195 bpm. Seriously. I mean, out of shape...to the max.
    So I did treadmill time as long as I could (walking, walking at an incline, speed walking) as fast as I could for about three weeks when I started couch to 5k.
    On Valentine's day, I did 6 miles of walking/jogging using couch to 5k week 3 (I did it three cycles to do all six miles). I can run for about 7 minutes straight now which is something I never thought I'd be able to do - especially not in 4 weeks time.
    I've lost 24 lbs in almost 8 weeks, but I've also been lifting a lot of weights.
  • ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    All of these stories r motivation for me. I just start walking last wednesday. I hope the weight starts falling off too.
  • kinsa2
    kinsa2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I started off in December 2012 at my highest weight of 86-87kgs and Now after three months I am 77kgs. All through walking and watching what I eat. I realized that there is no need to kill myself, I am bound to give up if I start to hate the idea of doing something so I stuck to just walking. I really enjoy walking at my own pace with a lot of music and different places. I walk from college to home which is about 30 minutes if I walk fast or 45 minutes if I walk slowly. I would walk everywhere whilst my friends would wait for the bus.
    It really does help and guess what? You don't even realize your exercising, because walking is a basic life event :P
    I would highly recommend walking and ditch the gym. I hate running or jogging, I have ankle problems. I would rather walk 4 hours than jog for 10 minutes and get tired!
  • smframe1
    Options
    Thank you! I have a long way to go, but one day at a time right?=)
  • abelthephotographer
    Options
    I wouldn't quite call myself a success story (although pretty happy with 13lb in 6 weeks), but walking is the only exercise I do at the moment. To give you an idea of how much walking I do, I've just hit 100 miles for 2013 so far (only 28 days - don't walk every day), so I guess I'm only averaging out about 3 miles a day.

Other than that I have (mostly) given up alcohol and I'm (again mostly) careful about what I eat.

The only other thing I would say is that when I walk, I WALK - as fast as I can. I was really unfit before and my mile split on day 1 was 17 minutes plus. It's now a little over 14 minutes. Got to say I feel a lot better for it :) I'm using Endomondo on my Android phone and it's a brilliant motivator (plus syncs to MFP) ...

Good luck, hope this helps!
  • MichelleZannone
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs. walking my dog around the hilly neighborhood I live in. We walk around 3 miles for one hour a day. I also watched what I ate and it took a little less than a year to accomplish. I stalled since then and am trying to incorporate other exercises in to get over this bump in the road. But walking is a great way to start it also relieve's stress and help's clear your mind.:wink: Good luck to you.
  • FinallyDoingMe
    FinallyDoingMe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    just a 30 minute walk can be beneficial. I am walking inside right now with a Walk It DVD and hoping this snow we have will melt soon so I can get out and about. I am really hesitant to walk outside now because of the icy patches and having fractured my ankle in 2 places a couple of years ago. The fractures are still healing. A clean break would have been better.
    But yeah - go for it. I always feel better after a walk. There is a lot of people here on these boards that have lost a tremendous amount of weight by literally walking it off :smile:
  • angeltg
    angeltg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Walking led to running!!!! Keep it up and you'll get there :) I enjoy running some days more than others. it's the ultimate love hate relationship.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I went to an amateur/semi-pro MMA meet a few months ago. I was surprised to look on the ticket and see the name of a good friend from high school. Last time I'd seen him, he was about 360 lbs. He was/is a pretty muscular guy--we played football together and boxed--but he also had a good gut going and some extra fat-baggage. Anyway. At the fight, he was fighting at about 250-260. I caught up to him after the fights and asked him what he was doing. He said he lost a good deal of his weight walking steep inclines for an hour or two a day and watching what he ate. I was simultaneously surprised and inspired. If I had more time to dedicate to walking, I'd do that. However, since I don't have much time during the day, I'm just doing things like JM 30 Day Shred and other short, high-intensity workouts.

Good luck to you. :)
  • Deanna149
    Deanna149 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    had an aunt few years back who changed her diet to a salad for lunch and walked about a mile or two in the evening, nothing strenuous, and lost quite a bit, she has kept it off now for over 4 years.
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I started walking at the beginning of this - April 2012. That turned into running and now I am training for my first 10K and then first half marathon. I have only lost 26ish pounds, but I stalled for about 3 months. And, I have gained a lot of muscle in my legs. Running is not for everyone and it really is a love/hate relationship. Just do it a little at a time when you feel like it and you will figure it all out. In June of 2012 I could not run a mile and last week I ran 5 and could have gone farther but was afraid to push it. Walking does wonders all by itself too. And, if you have children, it is something that they can do with you. My oldest rides his bike and I push my youngest in a stroller when I walk.
  • ericborchert
    ericborchert Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started walking during my lunch hour in Feb 2012. Combined with a diet and dvd cardio workouts I dropped 50 lbs in 4 months. As I continued I found myself walking faster and eventually started jogging, The more I jogged the more my endurance increased and the further I could go. In Sept. 2012 I entered my first 5k and for the next 6 weeks after I ran in 1 race every weekend. 7 races in 7 weeks and out of those 7, 2 of the races I won 1st place for my age group and 1 race I came in 1st place Overall. for the other races depending on how many people ran in them I usually finished in the top 25. I am someone who never thought I would ever be a runner, and now I love it. I have already run 1 race this year and again I came in 1st for my age group.
  • rosslynstreet
    Options
    Keep up the excellent work. I have a number of friends that have started walking, which has turned into jogging, then running. We're all in our 60's and looking at doing a half marathon in June. My son started running last year (he's only 32). The first 5ks run/walk was completed in over an one hour. Now he's completed his first half marathon in under 2 hours.
  • Mamabrandyk
    Options
    YES! I starrted out walking now am running. Lost most of my weight this way. Its a great way to clear your mind and excersise. I dont think I could give it up now.
    <
    before and during in my profile pic. Took me 9 months to lose 73Lbs - 10 more to go. :)
  • smframe1
    Options
    Thank you!=)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!