I have a low resting heart rate, need help with my HRM

Options
Hi I just got my HRM and since I have a low resting heart rate, I noticed that when I used it for the first time, it was not really thinking I was working out when in fact I was, since the resting heart rate on the HRM is set for the low at about 70 and my resting heart rate is upper 40's -50's, do any of you know where I can get a chart so I can work the percentages in more of a custom way that works for me.
I have a Polar FT4 and so far I love it.

Thanks for any help

Joyce

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    My resting HR is in the 50s but comes up quickly when I work out. I've never had an issue with my Polar.
  • SueFromRI
    SueFromRI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I believe you can reset the RHR. Through the fitness test maybe? I upgraded to the FT 40 and it is a little different.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but take a look at Heybales spreadsheet. It might give you instructions on how to set it up.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

Edit - there's a lot of info but the link is in there for the spreadsheet
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    How high does your heart rate get when working out?
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4 heart rate monitor as well, but I'm having the opposite problem. I am so out of shape that my heart rate immediately climbs toward the maximum range with just a few minutes of brisk walking.

Everything I've read seems to indicate that the maximum heart rate for a healthy person is 220 minus your age. Mine is 220 - 53 for a total of 167 max beats per minute.

My lower limit set to 109bpm or 65% of my max heart rate and the upper limit at 142bpm or 85% max heart rate, based on the height, weight, age info that I plugged into my HRM.

Here is an article that talks about resting heart rates, calculating max heart rate and heart rate reserve:
    http://www.active.com/fitness/Articles/Calculate_your_training_heart_rate_zones

I am still trying to figure out what buttons I need to push and when I need to push them. It is all terribly confusing!

To set your zone limits do this:
    Press the button by the triangle (upper right button) on the watch, TWICE (this will put you in the SETTINGS area.)
    Press the button by the circle (middle right button), ONCE.
    Press the button by the triangle (upper right button) THREE times. (this will put you on the TRAINING SETTINGS area)
    Press the button by the triangle (upper right button), ONCE. (This will put you in the Zone Limits section)
    From here, you will see your lower limit flashing. Push the triangle (upper right) or inverted triangle (lower right) buttons to change this number.
    Press the circle to set it, and then the high end limit will start flashing.
    Set the high end limit using the triangle/inverted triangle.
    Press circle to set it.
    Then press the square (lower left) button, twice, to take you back to the watch face.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi I just got my HRM and since I have a low resting heart rate, I noticed that when I used it for the first time, it was not really thinking I was working out when in fact I was, since the resting heart rate on the HRM is set for the low at about 70 and my resting heart rate is upper 40's -50's, do any of you know where I can get a chart so I can work the percentages in more of a custom way that works for me.
    I have a Polar FT4 and so far I love it.

Thanks for any help

Joyce

Contact the manufacturer or google it. I don't see why a resting heart rate is set & not changeable. It should be changeable/recordable from the user. That just doesn't make sense.... stupid question, did you read all the instructions?
  • sweetybird09
    sweetybird09 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for all the help, as far as how high my heart rate goes, today on my bike ride going up hill it went to 139 and I was able to keep it in my target zone for 56 mins of a 1 hour 3 min ride so that was good.

Yes I have red the manual, it was not so much with the Polar I was having issues, It was more with the fact that I was looking on how to calculate my upper and lower limits based on my low resting heart rate, and after a lot of research I am realizing it was me just needing to bump up my performance in the gym and on my bike.

So thanks again I think I am ok for now...

Oh and fresh_start59,We are the same age, I just turned 53 and got my Polar for my b day its not so bad to get things worked out on what is what as far as the buttons are concerned, I think the online manual is a lot of help that and trial and error!!!!
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I also have a low RHR in the mid-40s and use a Polar HRM with no issues. When I workout my HR increases to what you'd expect to so it's not an issue. I wasn't aware there was a default RHR on the Polar watches unless I'm reading this wrong??