Running Versus Walking

Options
Hi there,

I'm a marathon runner (ran 4 marathons and many halves, 30s and other races) but feel I need a change for a while.

Has anyone had a positive experience with walking to lose weight and stay in shape? Is it enough for staying toned?

I'm thinking about 5K for five days a week, plus maybe a bit of weights.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight loss is all calories.. Running requires more calories than walking will. If you really care about toning or cutting body fat, looking into weight training. Not only will it help maintain your muscle, you will see greater fat loss over cardio.
  • 0hhCarolina
    Options
    Thank you! You make a great point about the strength training, something that I've neglected as a runner.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you! You make a great point about the strength training, something that I've neglected as a runner.

I would suggest lifting heavy, leave reps around 8-12. You can optimize your strength gains this way. But when you build strength, you should also see improvements in your running.
  • njgirl50
    njgirl50 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I cannot run at this time, too many health problems, so I walk, ride a stationary bike & do DVD workouts and eel they have been helpful, still have a long way to go, but I try to work at it hard enough to get my heart rate up.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Walking can be great for exercising and even toning leg muscles, but it all depends on speed and incline.
  • sidegrinder
    sidegrinder Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have done exactly this for the past few months--walking and weights instead of running--and lost 25# in the process!

Sometimes, we just need to switch things up to confuse the body a little.

Ive also noticed that by walking 30 miles/wk vs. running, my appetite is MUCH less ;o)
  • shewearsfunnyhat
    shewearsfunnyhat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Walking can be great for exercising and even toning leg muscles, but it all depends on speed and incline.

And time, the longer you walk, the more calories you will burn.
  • 0hhCarolina
    Options
    Thank you all for the insights - it's been most helpful! The confusing the body idea reminds me of periodization, which makes sense. Liked also hearing about everyone's experiences, and feel more confident that perhaps I can walk/trot/hop my way through weight loss and staying fit until the inspiration to race comes again.