Getting fit while at work!

Options
2»

Replies

• purplekty
    purplekty Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    We have a gym on site so I go in there on my breaks and lunch...or if the day is nice I walk around the parking lot...
  • alikat2986
    alikat2986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I work at a clinic that has a physical therapy department that's never used..So I get free reign on the treadmills, bosu balls, weights, bowflex machine etc...Lucky I know but theres a lot more people NOT using it than there are using..

I take two 15 minute breaks, one in the morning and one in the afternoon and typically just jog on the treadmill for 10 minutes. Have to keep it low intensity though...Being super sweaty at work isn't a good look haha!
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I walk on my lunch when I drive in office but when I work from home I grab the DVD's or go outside and play basketball.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My last job was 17 miles from home so I cycled in once a week aiming to do it in just over an hour.

Current job has a staff gym in the building so that's where you will find me at lunchtime. Frees up so much more time in the evenings and weekends so a double bonus.
  • mixedlollies
    mixedlollies Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I always go up stairs two at a time. And as the nearest ladies' toilets are up a flight of stairs and I drink water and green tea constantly I tend to have to do that a lot...
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I love to get in a good run at lunch and try to take the stairs as much as possible. As soon as all the snow melts and the temperature gets above stupid cold I'll start biking to work again, 17km each direction.
  • xidia
    xidia Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Every time I make tea, go to the ladies, or realise I've been sat on my backside for 2 hours, I walk along the corridor to the stairs, down a floor, all the way along to the other end of the building, up two floors, back along the length, down a floor and back to my office, then repeat. (We only have the three floors in this building).

I have a Fibit and aim to have covered 15 flights of stairs before I leave for the day. It burns, according to Fitbit, about 30 calories per 2 circuits, which over the day adds up to a glass of wine with dinner...
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Kegelling
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Like most everyone else, I take stairs instead of the cursed elevator, for the afternoon part of my job I stand instead of sitting, fat free half and half instead of full strenth and my favorite.....when I get good and ticked off I will drop and hammer out some push ups until I am too tired and/or sore to be ticked off much anymore. Believe or not, just these few things have helped SO MUCH even when I am not actively exercising or dieting......
  • kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Oh and this....... :laugh:
  • jessicas082409
    jessicas082409 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have a trail around the building I work at and walk/run it on my lunch break...i get sweaty and nasty but it's a small office and i have a new running mate now b/c of it :) Gotta love inspiring people!
  • JaniceT805
    JaniceT805 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    When I worked at a multistory building, instead of using the restrooms on my floor I take the stairs to the top floor and use that restroom.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    You guys have just motivated me to go do the 3 flights of stairs before my next class :). I also park in the farthest spot on campus. I try to walk around my floor several times a day. When I got my fitbit, I couldn't believe how sedentary I really was at work.
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    Haha, I'm a psych nurse and I work in a unit for patients with challenging behaviour with dementia type illnesses. Where currently in a new building because our normal one is being refurbished. So last night on my night shift, all patients where asleep and I was alone in the lounge. I started squatting and after a while realised we have cameras in this building, I'm mortified someone will see and think wtf is she doing haha.

Or you will motivate someone else to get fit because look at what you are doing. =)

This ^^ totally going to motivate some security camera guy!
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, we have a gym on site. I work out there for at least 60 minutes before work and then walk with a coworker during the day around the concrete jungle we work in.
  • zela
    zela Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I sit in one spot with minimal hand and finger movement on my mouse & keyboard. That way when you hit the gym at night you got all that unwasted energy from earlier in the day waiting to unleash.
  • ReillyCraig
    Options
    Buy tools to exercise grip and hand strength, IronMind has a lot of awesome products, and hand/forearm strength can be done at almost any job.

Other than that, make sure you bring LOTS of water with you to work so you never sip on anything sugary or fake. Plus everyone needs their water, I mean were only made of it, right?
    ^* Plus water will help you metabolise food well, getting your system on track and shedding unwanted energy and waste
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I walk a few laps of the carpark, mid morning and mid afternoon for about 20 mins each time and wander further afield at lunchtime (weather permitting)
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I just have a very active job! I'm a ranger and usually cover between 8 and 15 km per day at work, and at least 20 flights of stairs. Plus lots of heavy lifting.

This job's just a little too out of the way to cycle to - it involves too many major roads - but I go to my part-time jobs and do most other errands on a bicycle.

I don't really believe in exercise for its own sake, I prefer an active lifestyle!
  • ksemien
    ksemien Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Walking - At my fulltime job our boss let us incorporate a 30 min walk session during the workday w/o using any portion of our lunch. Also, PT I work in a gym...so I workout there as well.