8 Hour Diet, Have you heard about it?

Options
http://books.google.com/books?id=ifnfnhZUU20C&pg=PA223&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=2#v=onepage&q&f=false

My friend did this 8 hour diet for 10 days (eat WHATEVER you want as long as it is in an 8 hour time frame per day) and she says she had success. I read some of the book from the link and I have a hard time arguing with science on this one. How can you really eat anything and everything for 8 hours and still lose inches?

Have any of you heard of this diet and tried it? I have got to know more!

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Look into intermittent fasting. If you eat 5000 calories in 8 hours but only burn 2000 continually, you will gain weight. It's hard to overeat in a short time period if you are focusing on healthier choices, and intermittent fasting works really well for some people. (I'd gnaw my arm off.) However, the people tracking calories on this site and doing IF are still eating their recommended daily calories, just only during a specific window. It's all about a calorie deficit. How you eat to get the deficit is up to you, your preference, your goals, etc.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Look into intermittent fasting. If you eat 5000 calories in 8 hours but only burn 2000 continually, you will gain weight. It's hard to overeat in a short time period if you are focusing on healthier choices, and intermittent fasting works really well for some people. (I'd gnaw my arm off.) However, the people tracking calories on this site and doing IF are still eating their recommended daily calories, just only during a specific window. It's all about a calorie deficit. How you eat to get the deficit is up to you, your preference, your goals, etc.

^^^
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Yep.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Try it out and see if it works within your lifestyle. The basic premise here is that by restricting your eating window to 8 hrs, you will naturally be eating at a calorie deficit.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    It's all about a calorie deficit. How you eat to get the deficit is up to you, your preference, your goals, etc.

Agreed.

Eat throughout the day, eat in an 8 hour window...use whatever gimmick you want but it all comes down to a calorie deficit. This "8 hour diet" is no miracle, it is just a marketing ploy. It sure got your attention though, and I am sure many others too!
  • lovelee79
    Options

^ yup! Its called IF, Intermittent Fasting. There are tons of books and websites about it !! There are IF groups on MFP here too!
    Works for some people, but its not for everyone.

I have done it. I like it. But I do a 6 hour eating window. For me personally I find that if I start eating in the morning, my appetite goes crazy and I start pigging out on everything all day long! Then by dinner time I only have about 150 calories left and I'm starving, then I go over and feel defeated. As long as you're still at a deficit you're fine and it works. I think its mostly for people that eat too much during the whole day, so if you keep your feeding window restricted, then you can have better control. When you think about it, eating 1300 calories from 3pm-9pm is quite a lot and you'd probably be pretty full, at least I am.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Agreed.

I have found 5 major benefits to an IF-style approach for my life, none of them are the ability to eat unlimited calories within my window.
    1) Satiation management- I like big meals. I never felt really satiated eating 6x300 cal meals, but 2x900 cal meals doesn't feel like dieting to me.
    2) Macro management- it's easier to control my macronutrients with big meals.
    3) Fits better with my lifestyle- I can opt to go out to dinner when I want without having to order lean protein dry-cooked with steamed vegetables plain, or I can just enjoy my big meal at home. Neither requires any extra effort or planning.
    4) No more obsession about food. Eating small meals all day left me constantly obsessing over the next one- that feeling is completely gone.
    5) Easier for me to stick to my calorie limits- I'm not sure this deserves it's own point as it's a compilation of all of the above, but whatever.

I've seen other people add that it takes a lot less time to prepare fewer, bigger meals- but that particular issue seems not to affect me either way, so it doesn't make my list.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I do an 8 hour diet every day.... it's called sleep
    LOL this!
  • puddinsmom
    puddinsmom Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Agreed.

I have found 5 major benefits to an IF-style approach for my life, none of them are the ability to eat unlimited calories within my window.
    1) Satiation management- I like big meals. I never felt really satiated eating 6x300 cal meals, but 2x900 cal meals doesn't feel like dieting to me.
    3) Fits better with my lifestyle- I can opt to go out to dinner when I want without having to order lean protein dry-cooked with steamed vegetables plain, or I can just enjoy my big meal at home. Neither requires any extra effort or planning.
    4) No more obsession about food. Eating small meals all day left me constantly obsessing over the next one- that feeling is completely gone.
    5) Easier for me to stick to my calorie limits- I'm not sure this deserves it's own point as it's a compilation of all of the above, but whatever.

I've seen other people add that it takes a lot less time to prepare fewer, bigger meals- but that particular issue seems not to affect me either way, so it doesn't make my list.

I have had all of these exact same experiences and seen the same benefits as listed here. I usually take 1 or both days off on the weekend to have breakfast with my bf.
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Agreed.

^^ This.

//end of thread.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I lost 30lbs using it. It's amazing.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    8 hour diet? I call that sleeping. :)
  • bucketbott
    bucketbott Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have done it. I like it. But I do a 6 hour eating window. For me personally I find that if I start eating in the morning, my appetite goes crazy and I start pigging out on everything all day long! Then by dinner time I only have about 150 calories left and I'm starving, then I go over and feel defeated. As long as you're still at a deficit you're fine and it works. I think its mostly for people that eat too much during the whole day, so if you keep your feeding window restricted, then you can have better control. When you think about it, eating 1300 calories from 3pm-9pm is quite a lot and you'd probably be pretty full, at least I am.

Oh cool. Good to know. I always figured that since snacking all day still leaves me hungry, IF definitely wouldn't work for me. I'll have to try it out!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Who would have thought that all this time I was skipping breakfast (and killing my metabolism), I was following a IF plan?
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Not for me. I could suck down 6,000 calories of pizza in eight hours, no problem.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Oh cool. Good to know. I always figured that since snacking all day still leaves me hungry, IF definitely wouldn't work for me. I'll have to try it out!

You would be surprised! I started IF 16/8 last Thursday and was FINALLY able to stay within my calories, something I have been struggling with for months. And I was not even hungry when it was time to eat and have been having trouble actually fitting in my calories. I am still new at it but it seems to be working for me and I love that I'm not hungry and have ENERGY.