help on calorie intake and calories burned

Options
okay so i have been going at this whole weightloss and fit for life journey for a while now and i STILL dont know what really works as far as how many calories i should be having and if i should eat the calories i have burned back...i was going to just eat my TDEE times .8 and eat around that everyday and not count my workouts...but as of today ive been pretty hungry and already ate more than i had planned...also some days differ...i usually try to go to the gym everyday and then now i was gonna start jogging in the mornings too...i just wanna be really active overall but idk if i eat more than my TDEE if it will stop my weightloss...i do have binge eating disorder which has also hindered my weightloss but im trying to take this one step at a time...i at least now binge on healthy foods, haha. so i was wondering if you guys could help me and tell me what method is best to use/works best.
thanks<33

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but not sure I understand. TDEE x.8 should work fine so long as you know your actual TDEE. If you are using TDEE based on your actual activity, then you should NOT eat back your exercise calories. If you figure TDEE based on a sedentary lifestyle then add workouts, then you SHOULD eat the calories back. Really active is fine at your age, but your body needs to rest as well, so you should take at least 1 day off from intense exercise per week. If you want to walk or do something easier, that's ok as long as you aren't tired all the time. If you are tired, rest.

And yes, if you eat above TDEE on a regular basis, you will gain. Above a day or two here or there is fine.

If you have other questions, feel free to PM me. And/or send a friend request. I'm around every day. I'm old enough to be your mother, or even her big sister, tho.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What kate said. Also, if you haven't figured out your diet, then you should increase exercise. In fact, you shouldn't exercise every day. You need one day to recovery. Also, exercising more will not allow you to see any greater results and will only make you increase your calories. I would suggest estimating your TDEE , eating 20% below it and watch over the next month or two to see the results. Also, what type of exercise do you do and what are your goals? Based on your goals will determine what kind of exercise you should do.
  • xmeggiefacex
    xmeggiefacex Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    so if my TDEE as sedentary is 1800 cals...i should eat back any calories i burn?
  • xmeggiefacex
    Options
    What kate said. Also, if you haven't figured out your diet, then you should increase exercise. In fact, you shouldn't exercise every day. You need one day to recovery. Also, exercising more will not allow you to see any greater results and will only make you increase your calories. I would suggest estimating your TDEE , eating 20% below it and watch over the next month or two to see the results. Also, what type of exercise do you do and what are your goals? Based on your goals will determine what kind of exercise you should do.

umm i do jogging, walking on incline, cybex, elliptical and lifting at the gymm and my goals are overall to lose body fat but im at around 150lbs and would like to be around 120.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    so if my TDEE as sedentary is 1800 cals...i should eat back any calories i burn?

If you do not include exercise in your TDEE, you should them back. But if you consistently workout, just include it in your TDEE and eat the same amount of calories each day. Also, I would suggest having a good weight training program (like 3 days)
  • xmeggiefacex
    Options

If you do not include exercise in your TDEE, you should them back. But if you consistently workout, just include it in your TDEE and eat the same amount of calories each day. Also, I would suggest having a good weight training program (like 3 days)

im not so good at planning a weight training program haha i mean i usually lift around 30mins everytime i go to the gym
  • SkrillexAsh
    SkrillexAsh Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I always have problems with this too!! I just know i will never go back to eating only 1200 a day,. When i did lose weight before that way, i gained it back very quickly! :(
  • psuLemon
    Options

im not so good at planning a weight training program haha i mean i usually lift around 30mins everytime i go to the gym

There are plenty of online programs that you can get for free.. strong lift 5x5, beginner lift 5x5 are good programs to start weight. You can probably also find some on youtube or www.bodyrock.tv
  • katevarner
    Options
    If your sedentary TDEE is 1800 and you weigh 150 now, then 120 is way too low for you to weigh.

That said, the danger of figuring TDEE at sedentary is that you then need to be very careful gauging the calories you burn during exercise. Easier to figure it with your workouts already factored in. And that way you can eat about the same thing every day instead of depending on your workouts. I know that's not the way MFP is set up, but it is easier.

Plus, then you have to take the 20% cut if you are trying to lose. Where is your cut? Are you taking it from 1800? Are you discounting your workout calories 20%? If you eat all of your exercise calories back, then you shouldn't really lose weight if you are using TDEE because that means you are eating at TDEE.
  • xmeggiefacex
    Options
    If your sedentary TDEE is 1800 and you weigh 150 now, then 120 is way too low for you to weigh.

That said, the danger of figuring TDEE at sedentary is that you then need to be very careful gauging the calories you burn during exercise. Easier to figure it with your workouts already factored in. And that way you can eat about the same thing every day instead of depending on your workouts. I know that's not the way MFP is set up, but it is easier.

Plus, then you have to take the 20% cut if you are trying to lose. Where is your cut? Are you taking it from 1800? Are you discounting your workout calories 20%? If you eat all of your exercise calories back, then you shouldn't really lose weight if you are using TDEE because that means you are eating at TDEE.

yeah im not really sure that kinda confuses me, haha eh :/ so i should just eat TDEE with exercise already factored in then..ill try it for awhile. i dunno where my cut would be exactly then cus like today i ate around 2400 cals but burned 730cals
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    TDEE by definition means total calories burned in a day....includes everything workout, sleep shower, peeing...whatever...everything. your not sedentary if you workout at all in a weeks time. Lightly active is working out 1-3 times in a wk. Moderate 4-5 times. Highly 6-7. People always underestimate their calorie burn because they have a desk job. My guess from age is your bmr is somewhre around 1500 and a TDEE of 2200. So best to eat around 2200 per day when you workout. Eat around 1700-1800 on days you don't. I am assuming your around 5'4 tall.
  • xmeggiefacex
    Options
    TDEE by definition means total calories burned in a day....includes everything workout, sleep shower, peeing...whatever...everything. your not sedentary if you workout at all in a weeks time. Lightly active is working out 1-3 times in a wk. Moderate 4-5 times. Highly 6-7. People always underestimate their calorie burn because they have a desk job. My guess from age is your bmr is somewhre around 1500 and a TDEE of 2200. So best to eat around 2200 per day when you workout. Eat around 1700-1800 on days you don't. I am assuming your around 5'4 tall.

that would make sensee...and i would still lose this way?
    and im 5'6 :P
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

that would make sensee...and i would still lose this way?
    and im 5'6 :P
    The height difference isn't a big deal. You'll lose ....it'll take some time....just stay at it. 2-3 months at least....and you'll notice in the mirror way b4 the scale......take measurements if you can hips, waist, neck, biceps, thighs......then take em again in 2 months......drink your water.....oh yeah...130-135 and toned at 18-20% body fat is probably a great realistic goal...would be healthy on a 5'6 frame.
  • katevarner
    Options
    Energizer's numbers should work, or you can eat around 2000 every day, regardless of exercise, and lose. Maybe even a little more. Just make sure you eat plenty of protein to hold onto the muscle you have while losing.