PMS/TOM help - what works for you?

Options
My TOM is fast approaching, and I can already feels its effects on my body.:grumble: What do you do get help get through your TOM without crazy eating and crazy moods?

Thanks,

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Even more water than usual.

At least moderate exercise (even though it affects my coordination and my will to live)

A couple of extra servings of the salty stuff: nuts, pita chips, something

Individual servings of chocolate. Last month, my partner brought the whole bag over to the couch, we ate until we had sugar headaches, then I got up and used the Wii -- pretty much ruined a relaxing evening.

I work both into my existing calorie goals, so I might have to give up a serving of fruit, but it isn't everyday.

I have been cold since losing the first five pounds, but this makes me even colder - I dream of hot flashes in a few years! I have several microwaveable heating pad things that I use constantly while at home.
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    Distraction, distraction, distraction. I go upstairs to bed to watch tv or read at 9 pm every night. I get naked and into bed. I am way too lazy to get dressed up again to go downstairs and find any food no matter how bad the craving is. Second is I don't have any junkfood or binge food in my home whatsoever. My kids and husband get treats but it's a one time deal and they eat it all up :) The last is exercise, I work hard with a trainer every day this helps me mentally as I refuse to undo all the hard work just for a minute of satisfaction.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, or tea, and lots of healthy munchies in the house. And throwing things, throwing things helps.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The pill works for me and has done since I was 17! :-D
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Just staying busy. I put in more hours at work. Plan things in the evening. I generally try to be around people other than my spouse and kids. I find it harder to binge eat in front of friends/coworkers.
  • jennifer87402
    jennifer87402 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like a small serving of dark organic Chocolate form my health food store. Helps all day to know ill reward myself after dinner with a small serving usual half of what the package says
  • Sallybeee_fit
    Sallybeee_fit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Distraction, distraction, distraction. I go upstairs to bed to watch tv or read at 9 pm every night. I get naked and into bed. I am way too lazy to get dressed up again to go downstairs and find any food no matter how bad the craving is. Second is I don't have any junkfood or binge food in my home whatsoever. My kids and husband get treats but it's a one time deal and they eat it all up :) The last is exercise, I work hard with a trainer every day this helps me mentally as I refuse to undo all the hard work just for a minute of satisfaction.

Lol. Haha sleeping naked to prevent night time eating is a good one.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Just staying busy. I put in more hours at work. Plan things in the evening. I generally try to be around people other than my spouse and kids. I find it harder to binge eat in front of friends/coworkers.

I only put in more hours at work because I can't seem to do anything right. Makes me want comfort food :(
  • LauritaS767
    LauritaS767 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Try to stay busy.. But the best thing I've found, is drinking tons of water and staying away from refined sugars as much as possible even when I'm not PMSing. I find that cuts the cravings in half. But if you are craving something sweet/salty, try having 3 bites of whatever it is you're craving and do something else for 20 mins. If after that time you want more, have a couple more bites...
    The only other option would be to just have what you need. Work it into your daily calories and leave it at that.
  • joyundefined
    Options
    I'm still working on it, but....

Found that going to go workout helps me a ton. I take out all my anger & aggression during my strength training. Usually find that is when I burn the most calories during that time. I also might go for a walk at the park, or a jog.

Also, since I work w/ kiddos at a school, I tend to play w/ them during recess time. Since I've involved them in my goals of weight loss, they're kicking my butt by making me run laps, jump roping w/ them, etc. :)

And lastly, I buy myself my favorite chocolate bar and eat the exact number of servings on it. Or 1/2 of the servings, depending on how many calories I have left for that day.
  • kgibbz
    kgibbz Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My counselor says to add in about 300cals during my cycle. Make a conscious effort to do so, dark chocolate, frozen greek yogurt, 1 cup of popcorn, healthy (but indulgent) choices so you dont binge. Light moderate exercise will help with cramps and headaches. LOTS of water to beat the bloat.