Shake weight

Options
My sister has one of these and swears it works.....anyone have one and actually think they work?
I'm skeptical of anything gimmicky--you know fast results w/o a lot of work....

Replies

• shadows1177
    shadows1177 Posts: 33
    Options
    I was wondering about these too! I guess untill I hear from some that is using one that I am going to stick with my regular weights.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Knowing what you know about the human body....reading this forum from the people who have been successful losers...Does the Shake Weight sound like it would work?
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    This is to funny. I just came back from purchasing one at Kmart. $20. I have several friends that have purchased them, and they said they work if you use them like you are supposed to. Guess I will see!
  • dmcpage
    dmcpage Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I bought one after debating for a while. I haven't had it long, just a few weeks, but I can tell a difference in my arms. I am doing a lot of other exercises as well, so in addition to upper body strength training and push-ups, I am using the shakeweight at home. What I like about it is that it is a brief and easy to take anywhere. I can feel more of my arm engaged (particularly the under arm back tricep fat flap area) when in constant use with the shakeweight and this is not the case if I do shoulder presses or other upper body arm exercises. It certainly wasn't a purchase I regret, but I don't think I would ever decide to just to shakeweight and nothing else for arms. My husband even noticed my arms were looking and feeling different after I started using it. Give it a try, and if you don't like it...hey, you've got a big paperweight. :) P.S. The lady on the video is kinda freaky, but if you can get over that you'll be golden.
  • SassyMissDasha
    Options
    What are they supposed to do??
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    bahahah I just can't take the shake weight seriously...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/143264/saturday-night-live-shake-weight-dvd
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    I don't have a serious answer for you.

But I KNOW for a fact that I would burn all my calories laughing me butt off, rather than from actually using it. Ellen Degeneres ruined any seriousnees that thing could possibly have for me. All I can think of is dirty things:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • dmcpage
    dmcpage Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had seen the parodies on youtube before Ellen or SNL exploited it. It still cracks me up, but maybe that is the brilliance of it: it works arms AND abs! "Shakeweight" has now become risque lingo in my house, too.....hilarious.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    bahahah I just can't take the shake weight seriously...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/143264/saturday-night-live-shake-weight-dvd

Thats classic! LOVE it hahahahahhahahahaha!
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    I don't have a serious answer for you.

But I KNOW for a fact that I would burn all my calories laughing me butt off, rather than from actually using it. Ellen Degeneres ruined any seriousnees that thing could possibly have for me. All I can think of is dirty things:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

oh I agree.lol lol lol
    my son and I were at BED BATH and BEYOND a couple weeks ago and he found one and said " look mom, Ellen had this on her show you should get it). while he was talking he was shaking it, and all I could do was laugh.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Hilarity of the SNL skit aside, I don't quite understand what it is supposed to do that makes it better than tried-and-true exercises like triceps dips, bicep curls, etc. besides relieving the buyer of her money (dips can be done with bodyweight and a table, curls can be done with soup cans/water bottles).

I'm not saying that it doesn't work. Maybe it does, but other free exercises work just as well, if not better. I feel like this product plays into the fear that many women have of "bulking up" and I think that is unfortunate.

I suspect that users might see an immediate benefit to using the Shake Weight if they are untrained, but I don't see how a person can keep progressing in terms of fitness and strength by only using this product. Curls and dips can be made more difficult by adding more resistance so that a person can continue to keep getting stronger, but I feel like the Shake Weight will end up in the back of a closet collecting dust (and then in a landfill) after most people get the initial benefit from it. Just my thoughts. If you have purchased it and you are getting a benefit from it, that's great.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Exactly what Kaitlinj said. Once your body (quickly) adapts to the new exercise it will become useless for you. It will not take you long to form the muscle memory and it won't be a workout anymore.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I always go to amazon.com and read the reviews about any product I am looking to buy.
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I purchased this not too long ago and lets just say its back on WalMarts shelf waiting for its next victim LOL.. I did not see a difference and to be honest I didnt feel much of a workout..