Multi vitamins

Options
Hi, can anyone here recommend a good multi vit, For the past two weeks, i am WRECKED!! I force myself into doing my excersise, i have a nice buzz for an hour or so after that and then... SLUMP, i'm getting the odd dizzy spell aswell. I'm going to try a multi vit for a couple of weeks.. or something else that would give me a boost.
What do ye think? What do ye take?

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I take Trader Joe's Women's High Potency multivitamin with minerals as needed--5 tabs are a complete day's serving, so I check my stats on MFP and take 1-3 if I seem to be a bit short.

But what you're describing sounds more like maybe you aren't eating enough. Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I eat real, whole foods, so I get my vits and minerals from my food. It's usually the best way of doing it. A lot of multivitamins out there have all these wonderful things... except they are not available to you. Whatever form they're in, your body can't break them down and utilize them. I do take fermented cod liver oil for extra vitamin D, though. We have short winter days here.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    regardless of your diet, most doctors and nutritionists will recommend a daily multivitamin to ensure you are regularly getting enough vitamins and minerals. it is not easy to overdose on multivitamins as long as you stay hydrated; whatever excess vitamins or minerals are in your system will be eliminated through urine. i have always been told to take multivitamins and other supplements with a meal for optimal absorption. i currently take a general multivitamin, zinc, evening primrose, and a biotin supplement for hair/skin/nails.
  • sjacks14
    sjacks14 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Nature's Way Alive! Whole Food Energizer Multi-Vitamin Max Poetncy for about 4 mos now. I really like them. I order them from Amazon.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    dizzy spell

Do you have low blood glucose? low iron? low blood pressure? Dizzy during/after workouts is typically blood sugar for me, personally. But if you regularly get dizzy, I'd make sure to have my bloodwork done to see if that can pinpoint what's going on.
  • flynnegan
    flynnegan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've suffered low iron and usually ended in me collapsing-years ago - during pregnancies i was chronic low iron aswell-again caused fainting!! Not nice!!

Im not eating back my excersised calories, and apart from today my cals are under the 1200 im allowed and my excersise usually come in aruund 250 cals, so looking at it i could be hugely under???
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I've suffered low iron and usually ended in me collapsing-years ago - during pregnancies i was chronic low iron aswell-again caused fainting!! Not nice!!

Im not eating back my excersised calories, and apart from today my cals are under the 1200 im allowed and my excersise usually come in aruund 250 cals, so looking at it i could be hugely under???

increase calories to 1500-1600 and eat back exercise calories. and eat whole foods.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I am older than dirt. I use Centrum Silver.
  • missjanetleigh
    missjanetleigh Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I take the GNC Womens active muti vitamin pack. I have them at breakfast with my food. I can tell when I miss a day without them, I can tell they give me more energy. :) They are a little expensive but they have so many good things that would benefit you in the long run! Hope this helps.
  • jnn0409
    jnn0409 Posts: 171 Member
    Options

increase calories to 1500-1600 and eat back exercise calories. and eat whole foods.

If your supposed to be eating at 1200 based on your heigh age and weight, etc then stay at 1200 calories don't increase them. For your exercise calories if your hungry or dizzy eat those back. Doesn't make sense to me to increase calories AND eat back exercise calories...that might result in you maintaining or gaining...
  • flynnegan
    Options
    I've decided to start taking iron tablets for a couple of weeks, i've a history of low iron leading back as far as i was only 9. so could be just heading back to that way.
    Thanks for all your advice :)

I've decided to start back with juicing aswell, if i could squeeze one in every day, id be upping my vits aswell no doubt :)
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    You may want to take a look at replacing a multivitamin with Moringa Oleifera - 1 pill instead of many :wink: . The plant is being used to provide nutrients to starving / malnourished countries.

This is some of the research I did on it:

The Moringa Oleifera tree, also known as the drumstick or “Miracle Tree” is considered the most nutritious plant on earth. The tree contains over 92 essential nutrients, including:

• Protein
    • Vitamins (A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, C, E)
    • Calcium, Potassium, Iron, Magnesium, Copper, Phosphorus, Zinc
    • All 9 of the Essential Amino Acids (overall 18 of the 22 amino acids)
    • Omega-9 Essential Fatty Acids that support healthy blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivities. Great for people with Type 2 Diabetes or have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic
    • Antioxidants
    • Anti-inflammatory agents
    • Chlorophyll (4x more than wheatgrass) (overall immune system)
    • Vegan, Kosher, Dairy Free, Soy Free and Non Allergenic

This tree is considered to have the highest Protein ratio of any plant so far studied on earth. Moringa has protein quality and quantity similar to soy beans, whole milk, and eggs, but there are no reports of Moringa triggered allergies so it can be used for baby nutrition replacing soy.

On a gram per gram comparison the Moringa tree offers 14 times more nutrition than oranges, milk, bananas, spinach, and carrots combined! The chart below shows a comparison between common foods, Fresh Moringa Leaves, and the Dried Moringa Leaf (like that found in the capsule).

Nutrients Common food Moringa Leaves Dried Leaves

Vitamin A Carrot 1.8 mg 6.8 mg 18.9 mg

Calcium Milk 120 mg 440 mg 2003 mg

Potassium Banana 88 mg 259 mg 1324 mg

Protein Yogurt 3.1 g 6.7 g 27.1 g

Vitamin C Orange 30 mg 220 mg 17.3 mg

Iron Spinach 1.14 mg 0.85 mg 28.2 mg

Unlike other multivitamins or nutritional supplements, Moringa is a true natural whole food source that is easily digested and absorbed into the human body. Which means your body actually uses all of it and uses it quickly.

 Calcium: Bone health (osteoporosis), arthritis, dental care, insomnia, menopause, premenstrual syndrome, cramps, weight loss, colon cancer, acidity, heart diseases, high blood pressure
     Copper: Brain function, arthritis, skin care, throat infections, hemoglobin deficiency, heart diseases, immunity
     Iron: Hemoglobin formation, body metabolism, muscle activity, anemia, brain function, immunity, insomnia, restless leg syndrome, regulation of body temperature
     Magnesium: High blood pressure, heart attack, alcoholism, bone health, cramps, diabetes, menopause, pregnancy, asthma
     Phosphorus: Weakness, bone health, brain function, sexual weakness, dental care, body metabolism
     Potassium: Low blood sugar, regulate blood pressure, heart diseases, water flow in the body, muscle disorders, cramps, brain function, diabetes, kidney disorders, arthritis
     Zinc: Skin care, eczema, acne, healing of wounds, prostate disorders, cold, weight loss, pregnancy, reproduction, hair care, appetite loss, eye care, night blindness

• Vitamin A or Retinol: Eye disorders, acne, skin disorders, infections, healing of wounds
    • Vitamin B1 or Thiamine: Beriberi, heart diseases, indigestion, body metabolism, blood circulation, brain development
    • Vitamin B2 or Riboflavin: Cataract, skin disorders, body metabolism, immunity, nervous system, anemia
    • Vitamin B3 or Niacin: Weakness, digestion, nervous system, skin disorders, migraine, heart disorders, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, diabetes, diarrhea
    • Vitamin B5 or Pantothenic Acid: Stress, arthritis, infections, skin disorders, graying of hair, high cholesterol
    • Vitamin B6 or Pyridoxamine: Diabetes, piles, convulsions, excessive menstrual bleeding, stress, insomnia, morning sickness, travel sickness
    • Vitamin C or Ascorbic Acid: Eye disorders, cancer, scurvy, common cold, infections, diabetes, stress, high blood cholesterol, heart diseases, cancer, high blood pressure, kidney disorders, internal bleeding, piles, corneal ulcers, inflammations, lead poisoning, immunity
    • Vitamin E or Tocopherol: Anti-aging, skin care, heart diseases, blood circulation, sterility, brain function, menopause, painful menstrual cycles, eye disorders
    • Calcium: Bone health (osteoporosis), arthritis, dental care, insomnia, menopause, premenstrual syndrome, cramps, weight loss, colon cancer, acidity, heart diseases, high blood pressure
    • Copper: Brain function, arthritis, skin care, throat infections, hemoglobin deficiency, heart diseases, immunity
    • Iron: Haemoglobin formation, body metabolism, muscle activity, anemia, brain function, immunity, insomnia, restless leg syndrome, regulation of body temperature
    • Magnesium: High blood pressure, heart attack, alcoholism, bone health, cramps, diabetes, menopause, pregnancy, asthma
    • Phosphorus: Weakness, bone health, brain function, sexual weakness, dental care, body metabolism
    • Potassium: Low blood sugar, regulate blood pressure, heart diseases, water flow in the body, muscle disorders, cramps, brain function, diabetes, kidney disorders, arthritis
    • Zinc: Skin care, eczema, acne, healing of wounds, postrate disorders, cold, weight loss, pregnancy, reproduction, hair care, appetie loss, eye care, night blindness

You can also read about it here:

Additional resources:
    Trees for Life
    http://www.treesforlife.org/

LIVESTRONG
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/301127-moringa-leaves-weight-loss/

United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
    http://www.unesco.org/new/en/custom-search/?cx=000136296116563084670:h14j45a1zaw&cof=FORID:9&ie=UTF-8&q=moringa&hl=en&sa=ok&siteurl=www.unesco.org/new/en/&ref=&ss=1664j676564j7

United States Department of Agriculture
    http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2959?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=moringa
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Go to your doctor! Vitamin D definceny can cause that! and a lot fo other things! It's super common too! Something like 75% of thepopulation has it. Also.. Vitamin B12.. that the energy one. I started taking vitamin D prescription yesterday as well as a multi vitamin and fish oil. I've got my fingers crossed that it helps me too!
  • flynnegan
    Options
    Good idea about the vit D, ive heard loads of people talk of vit d deficiencys lately, i will get that checked
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I know it's probably not the best option, but I use a gummy multivitamin. Due to my intense hatred of most veggies, my laziness(why does cooking have to take so loooong?), and a strict budget, it's simply easier to go with the multivitamin rather than try to get everything through foods I dislike and/or take a long time to cook. Plus I get to look forward to a bit of candy each day. To be honest, I can't take one of the horse pill multivitamins, they make me feel physically sick.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I Like the Centrum Silver Womens Multivitamin
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You can take any multivitamin for women -- brand doesn't matter. I have been taking the generic Costco brand for the past year and I can totally tell the difference between the times when I take them/don't.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I use a cheap supermarket vitamin and mineral. It gives you 100% of the essentials and you don't need more than that!

In my opinion, you never really know that what they say is in the tablet really IS inside the tablet! Why someone would pay 10 times the price for a fancy label is beyond me.

You could try a liquid iron supplement. More easily absorbed or something.

And definitely eat more!!!! Work out your TDEE and take 15-20% off that (as long as that number is is higher than your BMR) and eat that number of calories. If you set your activity level then you don't have to eat your exercise calories back.
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a boost, try Amino Energy! I take that before a workout to get me amped without sideeffects. For my vitamin I take Vitamineral Green. Tastes awful, but I mix it in liquid and just drink it - it's been good for me.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options

Nature Made Multi For Her (if you are vegan/vegeterian, don't buy the liquid gels, buy the tablet - if it's too big for you, blend it into a smoothie or cut it with a vitamin cutter). http://www.naturemade.com/products/multivitamins/multi-for-her

Best Iron Suppliment (trust me, i'm anemic and suffer from constipation from the regular iron supplements): Vitron C. http://www.vitronc.com/