For the ladies: You and your monthly friend

Options
I was just wondering if any one out there can tell me how they stick to their calories during their monthly friend or if you don't. I am currently on a 1240 calorie diet and now that my monthly friend is here I'm starving!!! What do i do?? HELP!!

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'd eat calories should be a range anyways so figure when you get your period it'll go up.
  • kma818
    Options
    It's definitely not easy...I generally drink a lot of water, because that helps curb my appetite. One suggestion that a friend gave me was to go for a 15 minute walk or listen to music, and then only eat if you are still hungry by the time you are done. If that works for you.

In all honesty, though, I don't always stick to it during my time of month. If I pig out unintentionally, I try to make that day my "cheat day" and use it as motivation to be good the rest of the days.
  • theMIDDLE
    Options
    I dont have a prob sticking to cals during TOM but I will fluctuate up to 7 lbs anyway that whole week.
  • aedlife
    aedlife Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I asked the same question and a friend told me to up my protein. So I grilled up some extra chicken and have been eating that instead of my usual chocolate and chips ;). This is the first month I have tried it, and so far so good. Good luck!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I try to drink more instead of eat more when I'm hungry then or make soups and things that fill me up better
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I have managed to fight that every month. I will grab gum & chew it. Trust me just something there in my mouth will do it. As starving as I THINK I am.
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    I give myself leverage.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I don't ever know when mine is (due to Mirena) but I definitely feel a change in my hunger levels and crave carbs like I'm possessed. I usually just give in, I must admit.
  • AmieCrawford
    AmieCrawford Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I do, protein saves me during that week.
  • DanielleDoster
    Options
    I am the same way. i always get more hungry. and it stinks. i always gain weight when im on mine. i jsut eat what i want to and make up for it later.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Eh, probably just eat some more. It won't help you in the long run to know that every month you'll have at least a week where you're uncomfortable AND starving. lol
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Work out more, it helps with cramps and then you can eat more!
  • Thinknight
    Thinknight Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I dont have a prob sticking to cals during TOM but I will fluctuate up to 7 lbs anyway that whole week.

I hear you...have mine at the moment and its my first negative weigh in...ie. according to the scales i put on a 1kg.
    Its so disheartening!
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Make sure the food you do get has plenty of iron. Sometimes that hunger feeling is the anemic reaction to losing blood (icky but true.) Personally, my issue is CHOCOLATE cravings. I'm a walking cliche, I know.
  • andi_isit303
    Options
    this is exactly the thread i was looking for today!!

I'm def going to try the protein suggestion - i doubt i get enough anyway. I just really can't stop eating chocolate!!!! seriously, yesterday was 500 calories of chocolate! today, the same! BAH! haha.

Protein it is!
  • littlebre33
    Options
    thanks everyone!! I will try to work out more but staying at home w/ a 2.5 y/o and a 5 month old makes it difficult. I will try to eat more protein but I swear at this point 1240 calories seems impossible :sad:
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I generally allow myself to eat at maintenance during TOM. For me it's generally every 5-6 weeks, so I figure not such a big deal.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance for that week. You are going to retain water during that time of the month anyway.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Good question! I've only been doing this for 6 weeks and so only had to experience this once! I was ravenous the whole day! No matter how much I ate I still did not feel the least bit full. It was definitely a tough day!
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I kinda just go with it lol. if water is no longer helping I eat a light snack. im eating 14-1500 a day though as it is.