Possible stupid question.

Options
hey,
Im Martin, recently i was knocked down by a car while crossing the road. thankfully i didnt suffer any serious injuries except for damaging my knee. as it is now putting my weight on it or general movement of same hurts a bit.

My stupid question is this......
can anybody here suggest exersize i can do while sitting or lying. preferably sitting as lying hurts my hamstrings in same leg. in case it matters i had a broken back a good few years back so not sure if weights are an idea or not.

Suggestions please. tons of energy that i justcant burn off so up all night..
Regards, Martin.

Replies

• littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I am not a medical professional and thus have no idea about how weights might impact your back, so if possible I would suggest asking one about it to be sure. However, if prior to your broken leg you were capable of carrying bags of groceries into the house, I assume 5-8 lb dumbbells wouldn't strain your back. Given that assumption, you could probably do seated dumbbell shoulder presses and bicep curls. Grip strengtheners can also burn off a bunch of energy.
  • dolphinswimmer15
    Options
    I'm only going to suggest talking to a medical professional (physical or occupation therapist). They'll be able to accurately and safely give you a rehabilitation plan, as well as give you at home exercises that won't aggravate or re-injure yourself.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    There's quite a lot you can do in the gym while sitting and only working your upper body. You can even do some leg exercises on your good leg.

Of course, get approval from your doctor first.

You could look up how paralympic athletes train, there are wheelchair athletes who regularly train in gyms, that might give you some ideas.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I'm only going to suggest talking to a medical professional (physical or occupation therapist). They'll be able to accurately and safely give you a rehabilitation plan, as well as give you at home exercises that won't aggravate or re-injure yourself.

^^this
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Agree with the "talk to a professional" answer but if you can access a pool you might like to look into exercising in water. Great way to burn energy without being weight bearing.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

^^this

+1.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Check SparkPeople.com and look at their Chair Exercises. There are a TON of things you can do at home with or without adding Hand Weights (Soup Cans & Shampoo Bottles can be very useful as "Weights")
    You CAN do a lot of things just sitting in your Chair.
  • xDMartinHx
    xDMartinHx Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys for all the suggestions. due at the doctors this week after a mri so will be seeing what i can do from there.
    again thanks, greatly appreciated.
    Regards Martin.
  • dolphinswimmer15
    Options
    Agree with the "talk to a professional" answer but if you can access a pool you might like to look into exercising in water. Great way to burn energy without being weight bearing.

How did I miss water exercises??? Swimming is an excellent cardio exercise. I do wish I was a good enough swimmer (techniques) to do swimming as an exercise. I have thought about water aerobics though.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Sex!
  • xDMartinHx
    Options
    Sex!
    love to lol.
    cant
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    A few years ago when I had some foot problems and could not walk without pain, I started going to the local swimming pool every morning. Even if you don't swim, you can get a good workout just walking or jogging laps - the water takes most of the weight off your feet and knees.
  • mafaldaymanolito
    Options
    I'm a trained dancer and I have learned that these types of injuries can be delicate. I would suggest to ask a physical therapist or doctor before trying anything, especially considering your previous back injury. It's probably nothing and he might advise you to work through the pain in order to strengthen it but it is still advised to ask in order to prevent further damage :)
  • xDMartinHx
    Options
    My back isnt much of a problem as its an old but watched injury. (wedge fracture T8, T11 vertebrae)
    lower back hurts a little since the car hit me but its mainly only when lying down. again thank you all for your input, it is GREATLY appreciated.
    Regards Martin.