How to cut salt?

Options
How does everyone cut out salt in their diet? I guess I am one of those people who don't eat salt at all, but still seem to have alot and retain water. What is a good amount of salt/ sodium for each day?

Replies

• jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    If you can wiegh or track salt/sodium accurately enough try to do a 2 gm sodium diet. You might want to start with
    a "NAS" or no added salt diet. Also you can try the light salt which has less sodium but more potassium.
  • rluedtke
    Options
    If you haven't already done so, add it to your food tracker. It's crazy how much sodium is in our diet.

I don't add salt to my food, but still am over 2500mg on most days. My advice: stay away from pre-packaged/processed foods, drink a lot of water (most days I drink about 12-16 glasses).
  • anie8989
    anie8989 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already done so, add it to your food tracker. It's crazy how much sodium is in our diet.

I don't add salt to my food, but still am over 2500mg on most days. My advice: stay away from pre-packaged/processed foods, drink a lot of water (most days I drink about 12-16 glasses).

Makes sense. Thanks Ill try it
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Stay well hydrated and don't worry about sodium unless your doctor tells you to.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I usually cut my salt with a little cocaine. Or is it the other way around?
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to look at my food diary. I used to struggle with cutting down on sodium (too much and I'm instantly bloated the next day) but since I cut WAY down on packaged, boxed, canned, etc foods, my sodium intake has been drastically reduced. Good luck!
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options

Agree.

I was shocked to see how much sodium was in my "healthy" frozen Lean Cuisines and cans of soup! Also, just know that pretty much anything you eat at a restaurant or fast food place is going to be PACKED with sodium, even if its a salad (dressings are loaded with sodium)! You don't have to eliminate anything completely just keep an eye out and try to monitor best you can so you don't retain a bunch of water.

I try to stay under 2500mg per day but if I go over I don't sweat it, I just make sure to drink a ton of water to try to wash it out and so I don't retain all that and bloat.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Someone gave some good advice about controlling the amount of sodium you eat in frozen meals and processed foods and fast food. Look at the nutrition label/nutrition info online. If it's a lean cuisine that's, say, 300 calories, then it should have less than 300 mg of sodium. Check out your food diary and find the meals where the sodium mg was more than the number of calories. Maybe there's a lighter-salt version of whatever it was you ate.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Stay well hydrated and don't worry about sodium unless your doctor tells you to.
    ^unless you're rediculously over. Some need more then the recommended intake (ie exercising allot etc).